OKAY, so this is one I’m super excited to share with you guys because it’s TOTALLY different than anything I’ve done before! As you guys know, I am quite experienced when it comes to using cauliflower in the kitch. Here are just a few recipes to testify to that:
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bell Pepper, White Onion & Cremini Mushrooms
- Perfectly-Oven-Roasted Cauli-Steaks in a Lemon-y, Garlick-y, Maple-y & Cumin-y Sauce on a Bed of Garlic Sautéed Rapini with a Side of Warm Goat Cheese
- Homemade-From-Scratch Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce with Sautéed Garlic Rapini & Pan-Seared Flakey Cod
- Cauli-Crust Pizza Topped With Creamy Ricotta, Fresh Basil, Cilantro, Garlic & Arugula & Braised Cherry Tomatoes
- Cauliflower & Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- Vegan “Cheesy” Cauliflower Mash
- Homemade Cauli-Sushi with a Peanut, Sesame & Lime Sauce
- (Undercover) Cauliflower, Berries & Greens Vanilla Protein Smoothie
- Cauliflower Rice Bake with Roasted Butternut Squash, Cremini Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper & Spinach
As you can see, cauliflower is a very versatile ingredient & can literally be eaten a series of different ways: raw, cooked, boiled, steamed, in shepherd’s pie, mashed, pizza-crusted, steak, rice, as a fruit substitute in smoothies, pasta sauce, etc. BASICALLY, the possibilities are endless. AND LOW & BEHOLD, I found YET ANOTHER possibility (& maybe at first, crazy) way to use this babe & WOAH.
Guys, everything about these is perfect & delicious! I swear to G-d, they are chicken wings. LIKE, if I didn’t tell you they were made with cauliflower, I don’t know that you’d be be able to tell right away, I swear!!!
The sauce is so good it’s DANGEROUS. But in the best possible way. Don’t ask me how I came up with it because I have no idea. The most amazing & flavourful recipes are sometimes born on the spot & in the moment. I’m telling you. I’ve created wonders without even thinking about it & just letting my imagination run wild. THE HARD PART when I rely on my imagination isn’t coming up with the combinations, but rather, trying to remember how much of each ingredient I put in so that it’s easier to share with you guys! Lately, I’ve been good – I’ve been writing the recipes down as I go to make sure I give you guys the perfect instructions to make all the deliciousness I cook up in my kitch come to life just as deliciously in yours!
The only downside is that they are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! But hey, at least they’re made with clean, real healthy & plant-based ingredients, right?
Speaking of plant-based ingredients, the batter for these chicken wings is made with just four really simple ingredients: chickpea flour (ergo, plant-based protein), filtered water, sea salt & black pepper! The “wings” are coated in this nutrient-dense batter & then baked to perfection until they are crisp & golden brown! Then… then… drumroll please… the delicious sauce is poured right over them, they’re topped with green onion & some more black pepper (you can even add some more Sriracha or honey) & BAMBAMBOOM.
The only annoying part about this recipe is the waiting time a.k.a. the time during which you are salivating at the smell of the baked cauliflower & can’t take it out the oven just yet! But once it’s out… OH BABY!
THESE ARE PERFECT FOR GAME DAY. And with Hockey season in full effect right now, YOU CAN EVEN MAKE THESE & FOOL YOUR MAN & ALL HIS BUDS… they’ll be shocked when you tell them they didn’t just eat a freaking tub of real chicken wings. BUT TRUST ME, THEY WON’T BE MAD ABOUT IT!
Not into game day? NO PROBLEM. Make them for yourself. Cuddle up on the couch, light up that fireplace & eat this delicious comforting meal with the remote in your other hand, NETFLIX BINGING FTW! GOTTA LOVE WINTER!
What ELSE makes them so good though?
- loaded with flavour & simply divine!
- quite simple to make – batter, bake, sauce & done!
- don’t get me started about the sauce… completely clean + homemade + made with:
- turmeric paste!
- raw organic Dijon mustard!
- chilli garlic sauce!
- fresh garlic!
- smoked paprika!
- raw organic unpasteurized honey!
- coconut aminos!
- Basically, my twist on a honey Dijon turmeric BBQ sauce!
- made with chickpea flavour, no bread crumbs – just freaking real plant-based protein!
- just the right amount of spicy!
- thanks to the turmeric paste, you get to reap all the benefits of TURMERIC, such as: anti-inflammatory, increases the antioxidant capacity of the body, regulates blood sugar, good for the skin & gives a nice glow, reduces cholesterol & controls blood pressure!
- vegan + gluten-free!
- refined sugar-free, grain & egg-free!
NOW, LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS. What do you need?
- 1 large head of cauliflower, ENDS CHOPPED;
- 1 1/4 cup of chickpea (garbanzo) bean flour;
- 3/4 cup of filtered water;
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt;
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper;
- 2 tbsp. chilli garlic sauce;
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos;
- 1 tsp. raw organic unpasteurized honey;
- 4-5 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- The juice of 1 organic lemon;
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 1 tbsp. turmeric paste (If you don’t have it: NO PROBLEM. You can make it at home!!! Make it by combining coconut oil, turmeric, sea salt, lime/lemon juice & black pepper!);
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (I used the one by Kozlik’s);
- 1 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard (the one that has like the seeds in it, YA FEEL ME?) (I used the one by Maison Orphée);
- TOPPINGS: Green onion, black pepper, Sriracha, chilli garlic sauce or more honey!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 450F degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Cut the cauliflower into large florets (a.k.a. make them look like wings as much as possible!);
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, sea salt & pepper. You will have a very thick batter & that’s what you want baby!
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl & toss with clean hands (OBVS)! Using a wooden spoon or spatula might break the cauliflower, so get ready to get down & dirty! Make sure to get the batter into all the cracks & corners of the cauliflower!
- Place the garnished cauliflower on the baking sheet & take a spoon & scoop any of the leftover batter at the bottom of the bowl on top of the cauliflower pieces (This isn’t really a batter you’d want to lick the bowl for, TBH! I MEAN, CHICKPEAS ARE GOOD & ALL, BUT THIS AIN’T COOKIE DOUGH!);
- Bake the babes for 35 minutes, until crisp & golden brown!
- While the babes are baking, make the sauce! Legit just combine all the ingredients in a bowl & whisk them together! Set aside. YOU’LL NEED IT SHORTLY!
- Once the cauli is ready, remove it from the oven & let it cool for about 5 minutes (So that it doesn’t get soggy when you pour the sauce over it!);
- Once cooled, place the cauli in a big bowl & pour the sauce over it! Toss so that the florets OR SHALL I SAY “WINGS” are smothered in it!
- Top the “wings” with green onion, black pepper & additional honey or Sriracha/chilli garlic sauce, to your liking!
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY & DEVOUR!!!