Vegan Cheesy, Creamy, Dreamy (& Easy) AF Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Sauce a.k.a. It’s 2017: DITCH THE KD.
Kay, the recipe posts are never-ending tonight. THAT’S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MEAL PREP SATURDAYS HAPPEN! I mean, are you complaining? I didn’t think so. AND WAIT A SEC… IF YOU WERE, you won’t be once you read this post.
BASICALLY, I’m telling you HOW (& WHY) you gotta get over the KD. Like ditch it. It’s freaking 2017, guys! THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER, HEALTHIER & WAY CLEANER ALTERNATIVES, all of which can be made in the comfort of your own kitch (& haven’t been sitting in a box, on a grocery shelf, for months).
The only downside? This one won’t last as long because it contains NOTHING BAD. (Is that really a downside though?)
One thing I can promise you is that, EVEN IF YOU AREN’T VEGAN, like EVEN IF YOU’RE A FREAKING CARNIVORE, this recipe is going to please you! & For all you mommy’s & daddy’s out there, this makes for a great KD alternative for your kiddies! Basically, it will give you every reason in the world to never introduce them to that garbage in the first place!
CASE IN POINT: This recipe is HEALTHY. It’s made from only whole food plant-based ingredients! As you guys know (because Lord knows I must have said it about two million times at this point), butternut squash is high in vitamin A, C, several B’s, K & fibre! It has tons of anti-inflammatory properties, is packed with antioxidant & can contribute to helping regulate blood sugar!
What’s great about this sauce is that you don’t only need to use it for pasta or mac & cheese, you can use it as a CHEESE SAUCE for tortilla chips, tacos, soup, chilli or a dip for veggies! So yes, in case you were wondering, not only is it healthy, and good for you, BUT IT’S ALSO VERSATILE!
MORAL OF THE STORY: There is no such thing as KD in 2017. Get with the program. Butternut squash sauce is where it’s at!!!!
NOW, what do you need?
- 1 small butternut squash (make sure to increase other quantities if your squash is large), HALVED & ENDS CHOPPED;
- 1/2 cup of water (or plant-based milk, or dairy milk if dairy isn’t a concern for you);
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, MINCED;
- Juice of 1 organic lemon;
- 1.5 tsp. Dijon mustard;
- 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric;
- 1 tsp. oregano;
- Black pepper & sea salt for seasoning.
NOW, LET’S GET INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY:
- To ROAST the squash:
- Heat oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Place the squash FACE UP on a parchment lined baking sheet & season with sea salt & pepper.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 400F & broil on high for 5 minutes. The squash should be charred, browned & softened & you should be able to scoop it out & peel skin off easily.
- Let the squash cool, then scoop out the squash meat & add it to a blender with all other ingredients.
- Blend on high until everything is combined & you have a thick, creamy sauce that basically resembles cheese sauce!
- Add more water/milk if you want to thin it out.
- Add to your fave pasta, macaroni or zucchini noodles (or use it according to one of the suggestions I listed above!) & BAM! 👌🏻
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!