Vegan Black Bean Hummus a.k.a. All-In-One Plant-Based Protein Dip, Spread & Topping!
OKAY, so you guys also voted for hummus over pesto! (& I don’t blame y’all, TBH!). I mean, who doesn’t love (& devour) a good hummus? I basically grew up with it. Like, on holidays, Friday nights & summer BBQs, it was always just there, a staple on the table, always part of the beautiful spread (no pun intended), ya feel me? The thing is, the hummus I was always used to was the generic one consisting of your traditional chickpea, tahini & olive oil mix (& there really is nothing wrong with that, IT’S FREAKING DELICIOUS!).
BUT, as you guys know, I’ve gotten to a point where I’m experimented enough in the kitch to let myself get adventurous & to let my little imagination run wild every now & then. And when I do, things like this happen. You guys know about my obsession with black beans. I MEAN, IF YOU DON’T… THAT MEANS YOU DON’T KNOW ME JUST YET! I use it in cooking but, I’m a little more famous for the way I incorporate it into baking & let me tell you, IT’S A DISCOVERY & A HALF (& something you should all try, despite the skepticism!).
I still used some of the traditional ingredients that go into hummus, such as: ground cumin, turmeric, tahini & cilantro. BUT, I omitted the olive oil & opted for the black beans over the chickpeas (I DO FREAKING LOVE CHICKPEAS THOUGH, but I already have a homemade ummus recipe up on here anyway, so I figured I’d change it up). If you aren’t feeling the black bean vibe, here’s my chickpea hummus recipe: Kelly’s Clean-Eating Homemade Hummus That Changed Everything a.k.a. Back-To-My-Roots-&-Just-Brought-My-Tummy-to-the-Happiest-Place-on-Earth-Oh-&-Where-Did-All-The-Pita-Chips-Go?
IF YOU’RE DOWN FOR THE TWIST ON TRADITIONAL HUMMUS, keep reading!
Packed with plant-based protein, fibre, healthy fats, fresh herbs, garlic & spices for days, this stuff is great:
- on crackers, rice cakes or sprouted toast!
- in Buddha bowls!
- as a spread for sandwiches, wraps, pita pockets!
- as a dip for veggies or tortilla chips!
- or BY THE SPOONFUL!
Before we get into it, I just want to say that what a lot of people don’t realize is how EASY & ACTUALLY EFFORTLESS it is to make your own hummus at home. All you really need is a few ingredients, a food processor & a wee-bit of work & you’ve got yourself a clean, tasty, healthy dip, that doubles as a spread & one that you know EXACTLY EVERYTHING THAT WENT INTO IT! No hidden ingredients. No preservatives. No garbage.
I mean, we all buy certain packaged foods because it’s just inevitable & impossible to make literally EVERYTHING at home. But, we gotta pick & choose. And, when you can make something THIS EASY & THIS GOOD at home, why opt for the easier alternative? Buying processed foods is tricky & it’s SO IMPORTANT to read labels. But, moreover, it’s MORE IMPORTANT to make things from scratch when you can & when it doesn’t require hours in the kitchen.
Now, without further ado, let me tell you how to make it (& show you what I mean by how easy it is!)
First things first, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 can of organic black beans (I used the larger can, but you can use a 15-oz. can if that’s what you’ve got on hand & just reduce the seasonings slightly, or keep them as is for a more flavourful dip!);
- The juice of 2 organic lemons;
- You can replace the juice of one lemon with 1-2 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil, if you wish!
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 4 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- 1 tbsp. of organic fair-trade tahini;
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. turmeric;
- Sea salt & black pepper for seasoning;
- A pinch of cayenne pepper;
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Rinse & drain your beans!
- Literally, add all the ingredients to your blender & blend away!
- You may find that you need to add a bit of water (or olive oil, to your liking) if you’re having trouble blending!
- You will definitely have to scrape the sides a few times to make sure the beans don’t get clogged up at the bottom of your blade!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!