OKAYYY, you guys are going to LOVE this one! Like LOVE. Again, it’s such a delicious, warm, comforting & satisfying meal for the cold winter months that are inevitably & very unfortunately upon us!
This is a meal in & of itself! Of course, it pairs great with:
- A side dish such as: quinoa, brown rice, roasted or sautéed veggies, cauliflower mash, zucchini or butternut squash fries, or whatever else your heart desires!
- BUT, you could also just have this as is on a bed of crispy spinach or kale, top it with some black bean hummus, a side of salsa or Dijon mustard or just a drizzle of some fresh lemon juice & YOU’RE GOOD TO GO BABY!
I don’t know about you guys but cod has got to be one of my favourite white fish out there! I’m not really huge on salmon. I find the texture too meaty & I don’t find it bakes the same way white fish does. I like a fish that bakes FLAKY, as opposed to salmon, which I find sometimes overtakes & becomes almost grainy! I don’t know if you guys feel me, BUT THAT’S JUST MY TWO CENTS! All this to say, I love a good ‘ol cod fillet!
If you’re someone who eats a lot of red meat, or meat in general, incorporating a fish dish into your weekly routine is a great way to start to decrease your meat consumption & swap it for other healthy protein alternatives. This way, you get to change things up, you don’t get bored, you get nutrients from other foods that perhaps the meat you are eating may not provide & most importantly, YOU WHIP THIS UP & GET TO TASTE THIS DELICIOUSNESS FOR YOURSELF!
ALSO, instead of using dried herbs for this baby, I MADE MYSELF BE UN-LAZY (is that a word?) & chopped up a heck of a lot of FRESH dill & cilantro simply because there’s just something about the flavour baked herbs bring to a dish that isn’t quite comparable to that of dried herbs, YA FEEL?
I also loaded the marinade for the fish with none other than apple cider vinegar & lemon, for all the amazing benefits that both provide & then added in a touch of pure organic maple syrup to give a little hint of natural sweetness & some Dijon mustard to add a little kick to the dish! I kept the spices super simple so that the flavours of the herbs & the fish could shine!
Now, I think I have you salivating at this point, right?
SOOOOO, LET’S GET ON IT BABY!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 large WILD (always!!!!) Atlantic cod fillets;
- Sea salt & black pepper for seasoning;
- 1/2 cup of fresh dill, CHOPPED;
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 5 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 1/4 cup of raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- The juice of two organic lemons;
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard;
- More black pepper & red pepper chilli flakes for garnish!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cod fillets on the parchment lined baking sheet & garnish with the dill & cilantro.
- In a separate bowl, add the apple cider, maple syrup, fresh garlic, black pepper, sea salt, Dijon & lemon juice & whisk them all together until fully combined & incorporated.
- Pour the sauce over the cod fillets & sprinkle more black pepper & chilli flakes over the fish.
- Bake the cod at 350F for 20 minutes & broil on high for 6 minutes!
- Serve right away or let cool & store in an airtight container!