Tonight, I was in the mood for MEAT! This doesn’t happen often, but when it does, by “meat”, I mean either chicken or turkey! As you guys know, I don’t eat red meat because my body just doesn’t jive well with it. I always feel like complete & utter garbage after eating it & I think I’ve just developed an inability to properly absorb & digest it because it’s been SUCH a long time since I’ve cut it out from my diet (I can’t even remember the last time I ate red meat… I have to say it’s probably been at least 5 years).
ANYWHO, being in the mood for meat meant I was off to the store to pick up some lean ground turkey! And that’s what I did (IN THIS FREEZING COLD MONTREAL WEATHER… like, I don’t know about you guys but I tots did not get the memo that winter was hitting TODAY). But ain’t a little cold weather gonna stop me from satisfying my cravings!
Now, I debated between making ground turkey or turkey burgers, but finally the turkey burgers won. I’ve experimented all kinds with ground turkey recipes & changed up my seasonings here & there but turkey burgers are something I’ve made only once or twice! SO, OFF THE EXPERIMENT I WAS. And tonight… we went to MEHICO!
Not only did we go to MEHICO, but we also made these babies gluten-free, egg-free, grain-free, clean AF (LIKE NOT ONE BAD INGREDIENT!!!), bread-crumb free, sugar-free… basically: PER-FREAKING-FECTION!
NOW, IT’S ALL FINE & DANDY THAT THESE BABES SATISFY LIKE EVERY DIETARY CONDITION IN THE BOOK (except vegan & veg of course!), but let’s talk taste & texture.
GUYS, you have no idea how freaking delicious these are! Like… ON ANOTHER LEVEL! This flavour combination is insane, savoury, herby, garlicky & meaty. Now, it’s not only about the spices here. There are also some fresh ingredients that add A HECK OF A PUNCH TO THESE BABIES. And by fresh, I’m talking WHITE ONION & FRESH CILANTRO! (If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can tots swap it for parsley, basil & even throw in some mint!)
OKAY, so they are ALSO absolutely “A game” when it comes to texture! They’re moist, juicy & perfectly cooked on the inside, but just the right amount of browned & crisped up on the outside!
Now, before we get right to it, I know the whole vegan craze is all the rage. I know that there are tons of documentaries, books & articles circulating about how meat is straight up BAD FOR YOU. But, as you guys know, I am a firm believer in balance, moderation & in not completely cutting out an entire food group from my diet. BASICALLY, what I’m trying to say is that, EVERYTHING becomes bad for you if you eat it excessively, without balance or moderation. While fruits, veggies, plant-based protein, nuts, seeds & oatmeal provide a HECK of a lot of health benefits (& these are the foods I stick to most), this doesn’t diminish the fact that certain types of meat ALSO provide a heck of a nutritional punch. AND ONE OF THOSE MEATS IS TURKEY! How so?
- lower in saturated fat & cholesterol than ground beef;
- high in protein & provides good healthy fats!
- contributes to your daily requirements for B-complex vitamins (such as niacin, which promotes healthy blood flow, facilitates glucose metabolism & helps control cholesterol, as well as B-6, which is essential for nervous system function & heart health) & selenium (immunity support, controls thyroid function & protects your body against cellular damage that can lead to disease, a.k.a. it’s an antioxidant!);
- it also contains zinc & choline!
- keeps you full, satisfied & energized!
- because of its high protein content, it ensures maintenance of lean muscle mass, muscle recovery & maintains insulin levels at a stable level after meals!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED (for about 9-10 burgers):
- 1 package of lean ground turkey;
- 1 small white onion, DICED;
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- Sea salt & black pepper;
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. turmeric;
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder;
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder;
- A pinch of cayenne pepper!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & toss until fully combined & incorporated & you’ve got a BURGER BATTER BABY!
- Shape the turkey mixture into burgers, arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the babes for 25 minutes, then set your oven to a high broil & broil for 3-4 minutes until crisped & browned & kitsch is fragrant AF!