Back today with another smoothie, this one with a chocolate twist! (& less sugar than usual!). I’ve been getting lots of messages from you guys about how you can reduce the sugar content of your smoothies because let’s be honest, although fruit is natural sugar, it’s still sugar & carbs!
If you’re trying to cut back on sugar for whatever reason, this smoothie is a great alternative for you! It’s still relatively sweet, but not overly & packed with what I like to call, ALL THE GOODS! And even if you’re cutting back on sugar, YOU STILL DESERVE TO ENJOY YOUR SMOOTHIE!
Now, what’s the secret to cutting back on sugar in smoothies?
- GREENS! Greens are probably the healthiest ingredient you can put in your smoothie! They add tons of antioxidants, fiber & other vital nutrients, such as folic acid, iron, calcium, vitamin C, potassium & magnesium, as well as reduce your risk of cancer & heart disease.
- STEAMED THEN FROZEN CAULIFLOWER! Before I was adding cauliflower to my smoothies, I used to add about 1/2 a banana to every smoothie to help with creaminess & texture and to add natural sweetness. And yes, bananas are GREAT FOR YOU for so many reasons, but what if I told you that you could achieve the same creamy, thick consistency as you would from a banana (or even better) & not compromise flavour, with CAULIFLOWER? Yes, cauliflower. Would you believe me? Would you agree? GUYS, I SWEAR. And you get all the amazing health benefits of cauliflower with that!
- ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR ALMOND MILK (or other plant-based milk) IS UNSWEETENED or better yet, HOMEMADE!
- SKIP THE SWEETENED PROTEIN POWDERS, SUGARY YOGURT, HONEY & OTEHR ADDED SUGARS! Use unsweetened protein powder (make sure it doesn’t have artificial sugars), spirulina, chlorella, acai powder, chia, flax or hemp seeds, cocoa powder, matcha powder, chaga, or maca etc.
- GO FOR LOWER SUGAR FRUIT! If you’re using a high sugar fruit, such as banana, make it your ONLY fruit. Berries are a lot lower in sugar than many other fruits, they mask flavours well with minimal sugar, lots of fiber, antioxidants & tons of other health benefits.
This smoothie is:
- super simple!
- light, but chocolatey!
- naturally sweet!
- creamy AF!
- packed with protein & collagen!
- skin, hair & nail healthy!
- great for muscle recovery!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 scoop of Iron Vegan Vanilla Sprouted Protein;
- 1/2 scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (Replace with more protein for a vegan option!);
- 1 tbsp. of raw organic unsweetened cacao powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of Ceylon cinnamon;
- 1/2 cup of organic frozen blueberries;
- 5-6 chunks of steamed then frozen cauliflower;
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk;
- 1/2 cup of water;
- TOPPINGS: Gluten-free & vegan One Degree Organics quinoa cacao sprouted oat granola, fresh berries & some Ceylon cinnamon!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Add all the ingredients to your blender & blend it all up until smooth & creamy!
- Add more almond milk for thinner consistency!
- Add more protein, collagen or cauliflower for thicker consistency!
- Top with desired toppings!