BACK AGAIN with a crispy, crunchy, delicious, ginger-y, garlicky & naturally sweet KALE SALAD for y’all.
This salad is ALL THOSE THINGS, but most importantly, it’s ALSO an excuse to be lazy because it’s ready in legit 5 minutes (providing you listen to moi & meal prep & you’ve got some roasted beets on hand!). If you don’t, NO WORRIES. You can roast them NOW or, since I’ve always got your backs, I’ll give you munchkins some quicker alternatives in case you need to whip this baby up in a jiffy!
BUT, I’ll be honest, there’s simply something about the blend of fresh crispy kale & roasted beets that gets to me. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT I MEAN, ROAST THE BEETS, OKAY?
But why beets? As you guys know, even if & when I ADORE the taste of certain foods, I am more often than not eating these foods because of the BENEFITS they bring to my life (or well, TO MY BODY & ERGO, MY LIFE!).
So what benefits do beets bring to my life (except for the fact that they are ridiculously delicious & naturally sweet)?
- high in immune-boosting vitamin C!
- great source of fibre & essential minerals, like potassium (which is essential for healthy nerve & muscle function, as well as heart health!) & manganese (bone healthy, liver & kidney healthy!)
- beets also contain the B vitamin, folate!
- beets help cleanse the blood vessels & may help regulate and lower cholesterol!
- beets detoxify the body!
- due to their antioxidant content, they may also help fight off certain chronic diseases & certain types of cancer!
- they’re also a great source of vitamin A, iron, magnesium, calcium & phosphorus!
ALL THIS… & THEY ARE PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DELISH VEGGIES OUT THERE!
OKAY, now, without further ado, let’s break this down. And by break this down, I mean, let’s talk ingredients!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 bunch of kale, STEMMED & CHOPPED;
- 2 medium cucumbers, DICED;
- A pint of cherry tomatoes;
- 1 medium white or red onion, SLICED;
- Two or three handfuls of broccoli florets;
- 4-5 roasted beets, DICED (& some coconut or avocado oil cooking spray!);
- OPTIONAL: Add in some protein, such as: chickpeas, chicken breast, lentils, ground turkey, chicken or beef, shrimp, flaked fish, avocado, etc.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp. Naked Coconuts coconut aminos;
- 1 tbsp. organic natural rice vinegar (Make sure you don’t buy the seasoned one; it’s often loaded with added sugar & salt – READ YOUR LABELS!);
- 1 tsp. ground ginger;
- 1-2 clove of garlic, MINCED;
- The juice of 1 organic lemon;
- Black pepper & sea salt for seasoning;
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp. of organic toasted sesame oil (for a more toasted, sesame dressing!).
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- If you don’t have any beets roasted just yet, DON’T WORRY, YOU WILL SOON! Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your oven to 375F;
- No need to peel your beets! Simply spray them with some coconut or avocado oil cooking spray!
- Wrap them in aluminum foil, place them on a baking sheet & roast them in the oven until cooked through, for about 60 minutes!
- Remove the beets from the oven, let them cool for at least 10 minutes (UNLESS YOU WANT TO BURN YOUR FINGERS OFF), then proceed to peel & slice the beets, to your liking!
- NOW, simply add the chopped kale, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onion, broccoli & roasted beets to a large mixing bowl!
- In a separate bowl, make the dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients & whisk them up with a whisk or a fork until all ingredients are fully combined & incorporated!
- Season the salad with the dressing & toss to combine, until all the veggies are well seasoned & coated (I always find it takes a bit more tossing for kale to absorb dressings so make sure you toss well!).
- DEVOUR STAT!!!