NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOT DONE WITH THE MEAL PREP JUST YET! More yumminess coming your way, guys!
These vegan mashed sweet potatoes use almond milk & nutritional yeast instead of dairy milk & butter or cheese & they are spiced the F up with ginger & curry powder to bring to the natural sweetness of the sweet potato!
With no dairy & no butter or cheese, YOU WON’T BELIEVE IT. LIKE YOU’LL FREAKING FREAK. But, it’s true!!!!! I swear. This simple dish is vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, cholesterol-free, soy-free, gluten-free & a lot healthier than MANY OTHER MASHED POTATO RECIPES ON THE MARKET!!!
These babes are great as a side dish with some protein, or as a topping or side for Buddha bowls! They’re also just great as a snack & are super mobile, in the sense that they’re very easy to pack up to take with you on-the-go for work lunches or late night work dinners, OR IF YOU JUST WANT YOUR SWEET POTATO ALL THE DAMN TIME!
WHAT MAKES THEM SO MUCH HEALTHIER THAN ALTERNATIVES?!
- naturally sweet!
- packed with B12 & protein, as well as, good carbs!
- filled with antioxidants!
- they’re fibre-rich!
- they’re so damn fluffy AF that you would think they’re marshmallows… or clouds… NO WAIT KAY, I’M KIDDING! Point being: they are DAMN FLUFFY.
- meal-prep friendly!
- delicious! I mean… did I really have to specify? LEZ BE HONEST.
TRUST ME WHEN I SAY: BETCHA CAN’T HAVE JUST ONE BITE!!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, PEELED;
- 1/4 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk (I use Califia Farms);
- Replace with dairy milk, any other plant-based milk, hemp milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc. WHATEVER MILK YOU WANT, KAY?
- 3/4 tsp. ginger;
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder;
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Replace with parmesan, romano or vegan parmesan, if you prefer!);
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper;
- Sea salt for seasoning!
OKAY. Now you have no excuse to tell me that you don’t have any one of those ingredients on hand… I mean… okay fine, maybe the almond milk & the nutritional yeast. BUT THEN AGAIN, I GIVE YOU ALTERNATIVES, AS ALWAYS!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- First, PREP YOUR SWEET POTATO! What I mean by this is: WASH THEM. Give them a damn good rinse & a scrub, if needed, to get rid of the bits of dirt or soil! Then, peel them!
- Once your sweet potatoes are prepared, in a large pot, cover them with water & bring it to a boil! Allow the potatoes to simmer for at least 20 minutes (more like 25 minutes, TBH) OR, until they are very soft & you can stick a knife right through them!
- Once you reach that point, remove the potatoes from the heat, TURN OFF YOUR OVEN (Thanks for the reminder Kel, right?) & drain the water well!
- NEXT, add the sweet potatoes to a medium/large mixing bowl! MASH THEM to desired consistency;
- You can also purée them with a hand blender or a stand mixer, if you prefer! Or, you can coarsely mash them with a large fork, like I did! I wanted to have a few leftover chunks as opposed to having a full on purée;
- Once mashed, add in all the other ingredients, mashing them all together until fully combined & incorporated!
- Taste & adjust the seasonings to suit your personal taste preference!
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY & DEVOUR!
- If you’ve got leftovers, refrigerate in an airtight container!