Homemade Hemp Milk a.k.a. The Easier Plant-Based Vegan Milk Alternative For When You Just Don’t Have The Time!
OKAY, SO, Saturday meal prep was in full effect today! (If you guys follow me on Instagram, you know that lately, I’ve been loving taking you through my meal prep shenanigans with me, so you may or may not have caught some of it!). Whether you did or didn’t, one of the first things on the menu was homemade hemp milk! This recipe is adapted from the original one posted by Minimalist Baker, but I changed up the sweetener a bit!
Made with just five ingredients, there are so many things to love about this! Let me explain!
- quick & easy, a.k.a. no soaking almonds or cashews & no straining or nut milk bag necessary!
- complete plant-based protein!
- healthy fats & rich in 2 essential fatty acids, omega-3 & 6!
- amazing for digestion because it’s loaded with very high quality digestible protein!
- contains essential amino acids!
- naturally sweetened with pure vanilla, ceylon cinnamon & Manuka honey!
- silky, smooth & creamy!
- great for coffee, smoothies, cereal, oats or as is!
- vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free & soy-free!
- fresh & delicious AF!
- totally versatile & adaptable to your preference!
- no additives, preservatives, refined sugar or added salt!
- rich nutty flavour (that you can add natural sweetness to, to your liking!)
THIS MILK CAN BE YOURS IN MINUTES!!!!
SO WHY HEMP SEEDS?! They’re rich in vitamins, minerals, healthy plant based fats, antioxidants, fibre, live enzymes & natural chlorophyll! They also contain anti-inflammatory properties, which helps repair tissues (especially after strenuous workouts!).
What I mean by COMPLETE PROTEIN is that it contains all 10 amino acids! In fact, there is one amino acid, present only in hemp, called Edestin! It’s similar in structure to our DNA, making hemp the closest plant based source of protein to our own human amino acid profile! CRAZY RIGHT?
Not only is the protein we get from hemp complete AF, it’s also very easily absorbed by the body, not requiring much strain or energy, which leaves more available for muscles regeneration & fat metabolism!
For all my dairy-free, soy-free & nut-free babies, this stuff is DELICIOUS & NUTRITIOUS & GUESS WHAT? YOU CAN HAVE IT TOO!!
By nutritious, I mean, it contains: magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, fibre & B vitamins! It’s heart-healthy, great for healthy skin & hair & boosts immunity!
SO NOW THAT I’VE CONVINCED YOU TO MAKE IT (& since you’re lazy AF to start milking a freaking nut milk bag & you have no time to soak cashews), LET’S GET RIGHT TO IT!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of hemp hearts (I use the ones by Manitoba Harvest);
- 3 cups of filtered water;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- Ceylon cinnamon;
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. of Manuka honey (I use the one by Wedderspoon);
- You can totally replace the Manuka honey with anything from raw organic unpasteurized honey, pure organic maple syrup or pitted dates!
- OPTIONAL: A pinch of sea salt!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Simply add the hemp seeds, water, pure organic vanilla extract, cinnamon & Manuka honey to a high-speed blender! Blend for about a minute or until the mixture seems well combined (You shouldn’t really be able to see any seeds leftover! It should be white-ish & look like milk!);
- Taste test with a spoon (or your pinky!) to test flavour/ sweetness! Add more dates, honey, maple syrup, vanilla or salt as needed!
- Pour the mixture into a Mason jar or other jar or sealed container!
- This is my third time making it & I find it keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days! Make sure you shake it well before drinking for best results!