OKAY, so after several requests from you guys, YOU ASKED & I DELIVERED! I FINALLY made a nut-free energy bite! So all of you nut-free babes & bros now have a KELLY IN THE KITCH ENERGY BITE TO DEVOUR!
If you guys are more SALTY THAN SWEET (& even if you’re not), you will absolutely freaking adore these!! They’re super different than anything I’ve made in the past, so they’re a fun way to change things up if you guys have been trying / making some of my other ball / bite recipes!
They’re made with:
- sunflower seed butter (make sure you’re buying organic & that there are no added sugars or sodium!);
- tons of seeds, such as flax, hemp & chia (a.k.a. superfoods!!!);
- gluten-free rolled oats;
- unsweetened organic coconut flakes;
- pure organic vanilla extract;
- Ceylon cinnamon;
- some vegan chocolate chips;
- a hint of sea salt;
- gluten-feee clean AF pretzels!
So… if you haven’t caught my drift yet from this BABE OF AN INGREDIENTS LIST, yep, they’re sunflower seed pretzel bites!!!
Aside from ingredients, what makes these babies so freaking amazing?!
- Vegan & gluten-free!
- Nut & dairy free!
- Nutritious AF!
- Filling AF!
- Loaded with a great balance of all your macros (protein, healthy fats & good carbs!)
- No added sweeteners (simply sweetened naturally with the cinnamon, vanilla & vegan chocolate chips!)
- SALTY, CRUNCHY & a wee bit chocolatey & coconuty!
OKAY, BUT WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH SUNFLOWER SEED BUTTER?
Yes, it’s made with sunflower seeds, YOU GUESSED RIGHT. I mean… it was pretty dang obvious, dontcha think?!
But what’s so good about it?
- High in protein! Each tbsp. of sunflower butter has about 3g of protein! And as you guys know, protein ensures that your muscles remain strong & your hard work exercising pays off! It will also help keep you ruler & more satiated! Lastly, it helps your metabolism to run smoothly & provides your cells with the fuel they need for your bod to perform their best!
- Loaded with vitamin E! ANTIOXIDANTS HERE, THERE & EVERYWHERE! As you guys know, vitamin E helps balance cholesterol, reduces free radical damage to naturally slow the aging in our bodies & reduce cell damage! Vitamin E also helps boost your immune system! (1 tbsp. of sunflower buter will provide you with 24% of your body’s daily needs!)
- Jam-packed with magnesium! Most people have some form of magnesium deficiency & I feel like not everyone is super informed about how important magnesium really is! It’s vital to keep energy high, relieve muscle spasms, helps with digestion & improves your sleep and makes it more efficient! P.S. The reason so many of us suffer from magnesium deficiency is because of the presence of GMOs in our foods, the fact that our bodies can’t absorb nutrients and minerals effectively due to digestive issues, like leaky gut.
- The spread is also loaded with omega-6 fatty acids, an acid our bodies cannot produce on their own & that MUST be obtained from food sources! Obviously, you don’t want to go overboard with your omega-6 consumption because most of us get too much of ‘em (but not enough omega-3s)… so everything in moderation!
- Contains tons of healthy fats! When you feed your body healthy fats, you give it everything it needs to carry vitamins throughout your body, absorb foods’ nutrients & give skin a youthful glow.
- Sunflower seed butter also provides 17% of our DV of manganese, which helps fight osteoporosis & reduce inflammation, the underlying cause of many disease.
- Nut butters & peanut butters can be full of ingredients that are unnecessary & SCARY AF, like sugars & hydrogenated oils. Sunflower seed butter, is highly unprocessed.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of organic sunflower seed butter (Start with 1/2 cup & then add more if you see the batter isn’t holding together perfectly!);
- pinch of sea salt;
- 1 heaping tbsp. of Ceylon cinnamon;
- 3 tbsp. of hemp seeds;
- 2 tbsp. of ground flaxseed;
- 2 tbsp. of chia seeds;
- 1.5 tbsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 tbsp. of dairy-free vegan chocolate chips;
- 1 tbsp. of organic unsweetened shredded coconut;
- 1/4 cup of crushed gluten-free & vegan pretzels (I use the ones by Mary’s Gone Crackers! They’ve got ZERO SUGAR, tons of protein & fibre, are loaded with healthy grains, super clean ingredients & some healthy fats!).
- OPTIONAL: about 4 pitted dates or 1-2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup or raw organic unpasteurized honey.
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Place a piece of wax paper on a plate or baking sheet & set aside until you’re ready to roll the babes!
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor!
- PROCESS THE F out of ‘em until fully combined & incorporated & a dough / batter forms.
- If you find the mixture isn’t forming together & doesn’t look like it can be rolled into ball & hold together, add either more sunflower seed butter or liquid (vanilla extract, pure organic maple syrup or raw honey);
- If you add more liquids, pulse again until your batter has formed together & a dough forms!
- Once the dough has formed, taste & adjust to preference (If you’re more of a sweet person, you might find you want to add a bit more sweetener, but if you’re more salty, add a bit more sea salt, BUT DON’T FORGET… we’re still going to be adding the pretzels!
- Crush your pretzels & add them to a deep bowl (one that you’ll be able to roll the babies in once they’re rolled!);
- NOW, roll the babes in the crushed pretzels!
- The babes will last up to 1 week or so in the fridge or longer, in the freezer (OBV)!