OKAY, so today MEAL PREP SATURDAY IS IN FULL EFFECT! Since I started working again, I’m going to be making EVEN MORE of an effort to get in as much meal prep as I can on the weekends so that lunches / dinners are easier (& so that I’m not tempted to buy lunch everyday!).
First up on the meal-prep schedule are these double chocolate oatmeal banana cookies! LOW & BEHOLD, I had MORE bananas that were about to go bad… and y’all know, THE NO-WASTE POLICY NEVER EXPIRES. So, I could’ve made more of my Vegan Flourless Banana Bread BLENDER Muffins ’cause Lord knows they’re freaking masterpieces (delicious ones, at that!). BUT, you guys know me, I like to experiment & try new recipes, ALMOST EVERYDAY. So, there I was… put to the challenge, YET AGAIN. & I nailed it.
These babes are :
- Soft & chewy but a little bit crumbly! (They’re so soft & chewy that it hurts. BUT THEY WILL WARM YOUR HEART UP SO MUCH, I SWEAR!)
- Healthy & clean!
- Packed with fibre, potassium, protein, healthy fats, good carbs & superfood properties! (Yes, cacao is a superfood!!!)
- Refined sugar free, fudgy & naturally sweet! THEY ARE SO FUDGY THAT YOU’D NEVER BELIEVE OR UNDERSTAND HOW IN EARTH’S MIND THEY COULD BE THIS HEALTHY.
- Literally taste like a CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE!!!!! (Yet… they contain ZERO DAIRY!). So, basically, they taste & feel like a treat, but they’re pretty much guilt-free. SO YES, IT’S OKAY IF YOU HAVE SECONDS OR THIRDS. Don’t question it. JUST ENJOY!
- BEST SERVED WITH A TALL GLASS OF PLANT-BASED HOMEMADE MILK! (MAKE IT HERE: Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk a.k.a. Oh-Really?-Store-Bought-Almond-Milk-Still-Exists?-No-Thanks!
Why DOUBLE chocolate? Well because… who doesn’t like chocolate enough to have double the amount? LET’S BE HONEST. I dosed these babies up with vegan chocolate chips & organic unsweetened cacao powder… so there’s your answer. DOUBLE!
ALSO, I think it’s safe to say that one of these days, I’ll either become a banana or a piece of chocolate. I CAN’T STOP, WON’T STOP. But hey, what can I say? At least I’m finding healthy ways to incorporate these ingredients into my recipes, no? Ya feel me?
GUYS… THE WAY THE BANANAS CARAMELIZE IN THESE BABIES IS INSANE. Like… every bite is going to wow you. You get that delicious chocolatey-bitterness from the cacao powder & the vegan chips, but then… the natural caramelized sweetness of the baked banana shines through & you’re legitimately TAKEN TO BANANA HEAVEN.
ANYWHO, speaking of healthy ingredients… LET’S GET TO THE NITTY GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
- 3 tbsp. of organic unsweetened cacao powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda;
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt;
- 1 medium ripe AF BANANA, mashed (separately, then added to the bowl);
- 1/4 cup of coconut flower syrup (or pure organic maple syrup!);
- 2 tbsp. of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1/3 cup of vegan chocolate chips!
YEP, THAT’S IT. THAT’S ALL. That list gives you THESE BABIES.
How impressed are you though? Same, same!!
AND NOW, for the ease with which these babies come to life, LET’S DO IT.
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line two baking sheets with parchment paper!
- Mash your banana in a small bowl;
- Combine all your ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a LARGE mixing bowl! Stir & mix & WORK THEM ARMS until all your ingredients are fully combined & incorporated & a cookie batter has formed!
- Once the cookie batter is formed, throw in the chocolate chips! Stir again until all the chips have been evenly divided amongst the batter (C’mon now, BE FAIR & SQUARE, OKAY?);
- Using a tablespoon, drop the dough onto your prepared baking sheets! They won’t spread that much during baking so you can flatten them a bit & make them roughly the shape you want them to be PRE-BAKE!
- BAKE THE BABES FOR 12-15 MINUTES, depending on the texture you’re looking for! Less baking time means they’ll be a little chewier & fudgy, whereas the full 15 minutes means they’ll still be soft & chewy but a bit more crumbly on the outside! I baked mine for 15 & they turned our perfectly!
- REMOVE THE BABES FROM THE OVEN. Let them cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes! You can, of course, taste them, STRAIGHT OUT ‘DA OVEN. I mean, who wouldn’t?
- If, somehow, in some crazy world, you end up having some leftovers once they’ve cooled off & have been PRETTY MUCH FULLY DEVOURED, store them in an airtight container for up to one week!
- You can store them at room temperature OR in the fridge. Personally, I prefer to store most of my baked goods in the fridge because I find they stay better! (ALSO, these babies contain bananas, so they will last longer if refrigerated!).