In the spirit of SOUPS, today, I whipped up YET another one. But she’s slightly different & more comforting than yesterday’s!
The main event? MAH BOO BUTTERNUT SQUASH!
Made with just a few ingredients, lots of spices & your trusty blender, this recipe is:
- Most importantly, a lazy (but delicious) excuse for a soup!
- Creamy, silky, luscious, smooth & velvety!
- Perfect for the cold fall & winter months!
- Comforting, without the guilt!
- Packed with vitamins & minerals!
- Dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free & grain free (Let me tell you, at the sight & taste of it, you would NEVER believe me if I told you there was ZERO DAIRY in this baby. NEVER! But trust me, there isn’t!).
- Rich, indulgent & satisfying! If you top it with some healthy fats, she can serve as a meal but a smaller portion is also the perfect side dish & pairs well with a protein-rich main course & some veggies!
- Antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory & immunity boosting!
- In case you haven’t already caught on, she is DELICIOUS!
Now, why butternut squash?
- Well for starters, I had one chilling on my counter & had to use it STAT.
- But also… HEALTH BENEFITS! ‘Cause y’all know that’s what I’M ALL ABOUT!
- Contains 4x the RDV of vitamin A in just one serving, over 1/2 the RDV of vitamin C & a host of other vitamins & minerals, such as manganese, potassium, magnesium, vitamin E, B6 & thiamine.
- Loaded with antioxidants, such as beta & alpha-carotene, which are both linked to a reduction in inflammation & prevention of certain cancers.
- Boosts immune system responses & helps fight off illness & disease.
- Packed with fibre, which makes it great for digestion & heart health!
- Bone healthy! (Thanks to the potassium content. P.S. A 1-cup serving of butternut squash contains more potassium then that found in a banana!!).
Now, without further ado, let’s get right to it!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 butternut squash, ROASTED, SKINNED & CUBED;
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk;
- A few pinches of cayenne pepper’
- 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg;
- 3/4 tsp. of Ceylon cinnamon;
- 1 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of curry powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper;
- Sea salt to taste;
- TOPPINGS: Hemp/chia/flax seeds & dried parsley (or other dried herbs).
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve & seed the squash & place on the baking sheet (face-up) & roast for 45 minutes at 400F;
- Once roasted, remove the squash from the oven, let slightly cool & then remove the skin & cube it up.
- Add all the ingredients (including the squash) & blend until fully combined & incorporated. If your blender has a soup function, use it! There should be no chunks of squash leftover & you should have a relatively thick, creamy & silky consistency.
- Add more almond milk if you want a thinner soup texture!
- Top with hemp/chia/flax seeds & some dried herbs!