Okay, let’s set one thing clear here… NOBODY DOESN’T LIKE ICE CREAM. Like c’mon. Ice cream is the definition of childhood. Throwback to those carefree after-school DQ trips where ordering a medium cookie dough blizzard was the freaking highlight of my day (& yes, I did scarf down the ENTIRE thing & I most certainly was NOT mad about it). But, hey, let’s be honest, in retrospect, doing that on a daily or BI-DAILY (is that a thing?) basis, probably was not the healthiest choice… BUT I MOST CERTAINLY ENJOYED EVERY BITE.
Fast forward to today, WHERE I’M OLDER & WISER & while I still make those unhealthy-ish choices every now & then, they most certainly are not a regular occurrence. SO
FOR THE DAYS WHERE THEY AIN’T, HELLO TO THIS 5-INGREDIENT VEGAN VANILLA COCO-MANGO ICE CREAM. Props to you baby for still giving me ma fix & letting me stay healthy in the process!
So what makes this recipe so freaking awesome? I mean… the title really should speak for itself. But, just in case you need some clarification… SIMPLY CAUSE I LOVE Y’ALL.
- ready in just 5 minutes & contains just 5 ingredients!
- super healthy alternative to dairy ice cream!
- ZERO added sugar!
- ready instantly but freeze-friendly too!
- creamy, scrumptious, velvety, smooth, thick & luscious!
- ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MIRACULOUSLY DELISH!
- gluten-free, vegan & refined sugar-free!
- the perfect balance between savoury cinnamon & naturally sweet vanilla!
- packed with healthy fats from the coconut milk!
MAN, OH MAN, ARE YOU GUYS GONNA ADORE THIS BABY.
And let’s be honest, who needs to have the full-sugar ice cream everyday when you have a healthy alternative that can satisfy your sweet tooth and ice cream cravings?
NOW, before we get into the nitty-gritty, GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS BABIES?
You guessed right.
NUTRITION 101 WITH KELLY IN DA KITCH… and today, we chat all about MANGO!!!!
- 1 cup of mangoes will provide you with 100% of the RDV of vitamin C (necessary for healthy immunity & collagen formation… OBV!).
- That same portion will provide you with 35% of your RDV of vitamin A (necessary for vision, bone health & healthy mucous membranes & skin + helps protect the body from lung & mouth cancers).
- Mangoes contain flavonoids, which help vitamin A provide its antioxidant strength & vision protecting properties!
- RICH IN CAROTENES!
- Amazing source of potassium (which is crucial for controlling heart rate + blood pressure!)
- Mangoes also pack a nice amount of fibre, which as you guys know, helps keep your system running smoothly & is great for digestion, keeping you full & satisfied & lowering cholesterol!
- Due to its antioxidant content, mango also helps clear the skin!
- Mangoes have been shown in clinical studies to protect against cancer of the colon, breast, prostate + leukemia (thanks to the polyphenolic antioxidant compounds).
- Mango also alkalizes the body & therefore, helps balance the pH levels in the body!
- Lastly, mangoes improve eye health!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 3 cups of frozen (no sugar added) mango chunks;
- 1/2 cup of organic coconut milk (you can use light or full-fat– both will work but obviously, the full-fat kind will give you a thicker, smoother & creamier ice cream!);
- 1/2 tsp. of Ceylon common;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 2 tbsp of pure organic maple syrup.
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Place all the ingredients in your high-powered blender or food processor (I used my trusty Breville Boss).
- Process until you get a smooth, creamy & luscious mix & there are no more mango chunks leftover! You may have to scrape the sides & use a spoon to stir the mixture to make sure there are no leftover little chunks near the blade!
- BUT… be careful not to over-process or the ice cream wills tart to melt!
- Serve immediately & DEVOUR!
- If you have any leftovers, or if you have the patience to wait for it to harden up a bit, FREEZE in an airtight container & DEVOUR LATER!