OKAY SO, this recipe came about super spontaneously. It was 11:00PM & my sister was studying & she screamed from the kitchen to ask if I was asleep. I wasn’t. So naturally, I said no…
BUT I DIDN’T KNOW THAT THAT MEANT I’D BE IN THE KITCH 2 MINUTES LATER WHIPPING UP SOME PASTA. But ya know, she’s a freaking cutie & I’m obsessed with her. She studied all day, was exhausted & FAMISHED. So there I was 11PM, stirring up a sauce-y storm! (P.S. She totally told me to go crazy with it & that she wanted something comforting & healthy-ISH. Keyword: ISH!). So, I had fun with it & this babe of a dish was born (in just under 20 minutes!!!!). & I ain’t even mad about it!
Now, this recipe is SLIGHTLY less healthy than my usual stuff (or should I say, a little bit more rich!?), but it still contains tons of good ingredients, nutrients, vitamins, minerals & is super delicious & comforting.
AND HEY, WE ALL DESERVE A LITTLE INDULGENCE EVERY NOW & THEN, right? I mean, I think so anyways…
So anyway, BACK TO BUSINESS or should I say, BACK TO BASICS, since this recipe is THAT SIMPLE TO WHIP UP. I swear. I mean, I did do it at 11:00PM… so ya know. The laziness sorta started to creep in, BUT Y’ALL KNOW WHAT LAZINESS MEANS – it means, this baby is easier for you munchkins to whip up!
Now, four paragraphs later filled with rants upon rants, let’s discuss what this dish actually is.
Basically, it’s GLUTEN-FREE HEALTHY-ISH PENNÉ ROSÉ WITH GRILLED CHICKEN!!
The star of the show here is OBVI the sauce, let’s be honest. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients that you most probably already have in your pantries/fridge. I’m talking organic unsweetened plain almond milk, organic goat cheese, organic tomato paste, Dave’s Gourmet organic roasted garlic & sweet basil tomato sauce (WHICH BTW, IS AMAZING), dried basil, black pepper & sea salt!
That’s it. That’s all.
P.S. The Dave’s Gourmet sauce is another brand of organic tomato sauce that I love & that saves me on those days/nights/11PM request calls from my sister when I’m just not down to make my own from scratch! The ingredients are SLIGHTLY less clean than the Organico Bello brand that is my #1 go-to BUT HEY, my sis told me to have fun with this one, so I went a little cray-cray & the result was INSANITYY!!!
This sauce is all things: CREAMY. THICK. SAILKY. SMOOTH. SAVOURY. CHEESY. RICH & NUTRITIOUS! AND OF COURSE… I don’t think I have to tell you… BUT IT’S ALSO DELICIOUS!
Once the sauce had simmered & thickened/creamed up, I added in the chopped up chicken breast & simmered it for a few more minutes so that the chicken could absorb all the beautiful flavours in the sauce. BTW, this recipe is all about multi-tasking & great time management (YOU CAN IMAGINE I WAS CRAVING MY BED THE ENTIRE TIME I WAS MAKING IT BUT I LOVE MY SISTER, SO YEP!). While I whipped up the sauce, my gluten-free penne was boiling & by the time the timer beeped (& annoyed the F outta me), everything was ready to go!! (And yes, you read right above… IN JUST UNDER 20 MINUTES!).
NOW, I THINK I’VE TEMPTED YOU ENOUGH. Let’s get right to it.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 package of gluten-free pasta;
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened plain almond milk;
- 3/4 – 1 jar of Dave’s Gourmet Roasted Garlic & Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce;
- 75g of organic goat cheese;
- 3.5 oz. (about 1/2) jar of organic tomato paste (I use the one by Bionaturae);
- 2 large chicken breasts, PREPARED according to this recipe: 4-Ingredient Maple Mustard Grilled Chicken Breast a.k.a. The-Perfect-Balance-Between-Sweet-&-Savoury-I-Mean…-Oh-&-Ready-In-20-You? (OR AS YOU WISH!) & CHOPPED AF;
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper;
- 1 tbsp. of dried basil;
- Sea salt for seasoning;
- EXTRA TOPPINGS: Goat cheese/Parmesan/Romano/Nutritional yeast/Chilli flakes or coarsely ground black pepper!
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Bring a pot of water to to a boil & cook your pasta according to package directions! (It should always be al denté, but the timing really depends on the type of pasta you’re using & what it’s made with! Certain pastas will boil faster than others, obviously!)
- While your pasta is boiling, prepare the sauce. Add the almond milk, pasta sauce, goat cheese & tomato paste to a small stockpot & bring to a boil!
- Once the sauce is boiling, lower your heat to a simmer & add in the black pepper, dried basil & sea salt. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring every now & then to make sure that the goat cheese is crumbled up & melting & that it’s creaming up but not sticking to the sides! (If you see it start to stick, it means your fire isn’t low enough, so lower it, STAT!).
- If your sauce looks too thick, add in some more almond milk;
- If your sauce looks too thin, add in some more goat cheese or tomato paste!
- Once the sauce has simmered for about 10 minutes (or more, if you feel it isn’t thick enough yet), add in the chicken, stir to combine with the rest of the sauce & let it simmer for a few more minutes so that the flavours from the sauce have time to meld with the chicken! YUMMMMMM!
- Before removing the stockpot from the heat, taste & adjust seasonings, if necessary! You can also throw in some red pepper chilli flakes or Sriracha if you want it to be a spicy rosé!
- AT THIS POINT, your pasta should already be boiled & I don’t think I have to tell you but I will anyway, DRAIN IT & add it back to the pot you boiled it in. Set your fire to low & REALLLLLY FREAKING GENTLY, add in the sauce!
- Toss to combine the penné with the sauce/chicken & let it simmer & warm up on a low fire for 2-3 minutes, then serve immediately!