HAPPY FRIYAY AGAIN!
Okay, so these cookies have been driving you guys WILD (& I am seriously NOT SURPRISED, to say the least). I’ve gotten so many messages from you babies about them (& I may or may not even have shared a quick recap of the recipe with some of you just because you needed them STAT & I love you guys).
But, now, here I am, typing away frantically to get you the full recipe, the entire nitty-gritty, all the deets on why these babies are SO FREAKING DELISH that you need them in your life, RIGHT. FREAKING. NOW & of course, all the step-by-step instructions to whip this batter up & get these babies into the oven ASAP! You ready for ‘dis? You may think so. But just trust me, simply reading this post is going to have you ALL KINDS OF PUMPKIN SALIVATING. Continue reading at your own risk. No, I’m kidding. You’re absolutely crazy if you don’t continue at this point… I mean, we’re just about to get to the good stuff. HERE WE GO.
These babes are:
crumbly on the outside & moist & chewy on the inside!
loaded with tons of health benefits (which we will get to shortly!);
coconut-y, sweet & savoury!
they scream all things cozy, cuddly, comfy & fall (& pair perfectly with a frothy AF almond/cashew milk latte)!
BUT WHY PUMPKIN?
- First things first, it’s FALL & ‘TIS THE SEASON!!! And let’s be honest, one of the first things that come to mind when you hear fall (OKAY FINE, MAYBE AFTER THE COZY KNITS & TALL SUEDE BOOTS), you think Pumpkin Spice Latte, right? WELL LET ME TELL YA, THESE ARE
JUST A TADWAY HEALTHIER THAN THAT PSL.. (Don’t even get me started about all the garbage in that drink) & let me tell you, MORE IMPORTANTLY, they’re JUST ABOUT AS DELISH (IF NOT EVEN MORE)
- Now, if the start of fall ain’t enough to get you jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon, then let me tell you about all the health benefits pumpkin can offer you! Then maybe, JUST MAYBE, you’ll reconsider (I know you will & I know I already had you at “Hey munchkins!”, but I’m still gonna get into the health benefits because WHEN DO I NOT?).
So what makes pumpkin so healthy?
- Very rich in fibre, which means it’ll help keep you fuller longer & also have a positive impact on your blood sugar levels & cholesterol!H
- Contains TONS of vitamin A (1 cup contains almost 2x the RDV of vitamin A), which supports healthy vision, skin, teeth & bones!
- Pumpkin seed oil is full of phytoestrogens, which are beneficial for preventing hypertension & may therefore be helpful in lowering blood pressure.
- Pumpkin seeds are also rich in tryptophan, which is the amino-acid that contributes to sleepiness. It is also responsible for helping the body make serotonin, which is basically the FEEL-HAPPY/GOOD CHEMICAL in the brain that helps you relax & unwind. All this to say, pumpkin seeds will help promote better sleep & the boost in serotonin will help improve your overall mood! NO HANGRY PEOPLE AROUND HERE BABY!
- Pumpkins are rich in beta-carotene (I mean.. THEY’RE ORANGE!) & loads of other antioxidants, which can help protect against certain types of cancer.
- The fibre in pumpkin also helps promote heart health! Many studies have shown that eating a diet high in fibre lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Great source of zinc & potassium. vitamin C, E, magnesium, B vitamins & iron!
- May help boost metabolism & overall immunity!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty… just one more HEALTH TIP! When buying your pumpkin purée, BE WARY of the difference between canned pumpkin & pumpkin pie filling. YOU WANT CANNED PUMPKIN (preferably, organic!). It’s just that & nothing more: cooked, pureed pumpkin. Your ingredients label should read ONLY: (organic) pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling, on the other hand, is flavoured with certain spices, like cinnamon, cloves, allspice & ginger & OFTEN ENOUGH, is also sweetened with added sugars. Basically, it’s a “convenience food” for shortening the time necessary to whip up a pumpkin pie.
NOW, before we get into the recipe, let me first tell you how to make your own DYI PUMPKIN SPICE! All you gotta do to make the spice is FOLLOW THIS RECIPE: DIY Pumpkin Spice a.k.a. Your Fall Baking Pantry Staple!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of creamy almond butter (For baking, I like to use the one by Kirkland brand);
- ½ cup of organic pumpkin purée (I use the one by Farmer’s Market Foods);
- ¼ cup of organic coconut palm sugar (If you prefer, you can replace the coconut sugar with pure organic maple syrup or another sweetener of your choice);
- 2 tsp. of my DIY pumpkin pie spice (DIY Pumpkin Spice a.k.a. Your Fall Baking Pantry Staple!)
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- ½ Taza Chocolate Sea Salt & Almond Dark Chocolate Bar, CRUMBLED OR ½ cup of vegan dark chocolate chips OR another dark chocolate bar of your choosing, CRUMBLED;
- OPTIONAL: ¼ tsp. of sea salt (I didn’t put because the chocolate I used already had sea salt & I Didn’t want the cookies to be too salty!)
Now, tell me you’ve seen a cookie with cleaner (& less ingredients) & I might just have to FREAK THE F OUT (No, I won’t kill you… I’m not THAT feisty). ANYWHO, these cookies are THEBOMB.COM for so many reasons, which I’ve outlined in a very
brief (LOL JK) lengthy way above. AND IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR, IT MEANS I CONVINCED YOU (Lord knows you didn’t even need convincing… I mean, weren’t the pics enough?).
And now, without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty, babies!!!
Preheat your oven to 350F & line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat!
Combine all the ingredients in a MEDIUM bowl & mix until a thick batter is formed. You’ll notice that the batter is sticky & that’s perfectly okay & normal! Keep in mind, there are no grains or flours in this baby!
- If you’re adding in the chocolate chips, do so STAT.
- If you’re adding in crumble chunks of dark chocolate (like moi), use a knife (or the back of a metal measuring cup… sorry not sorry… MAKESHIFT KITCH TIPS FTW!) to chop/crumble up the chocolate & then fold it in!
- Once you add in the chocolate chips, since the batter is egg-free, you can tots taste it at this point to ensure that all the flavours are to your liking!
- If you find there isn’t enough pumpkin spice, you can always throw in 1/2 a tsp. more to make it even more flavourful!
- Using a tbsp. (& not your hands – BECAUSE IT’S STICKY AF), drop the batter onto the lined baking sheets. Don’t obsess over getting these babies perfectly round because you probably won’t be able to!
- Once all your babies are placed on the baking sheets, gently press them down with a wet fork (wetting the fork will help prevent sticking) to fatten them! They will spread a bit more during baking, so make sure they are not too close together!
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, until the edges are golden. The cookies may look a bit soft when they first COME FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN, but don’t let! that tempt you to put them back in. They will firm up a bit on the outside & get all crispy & crumbly once they cool! TRUST ME!
- Once cooled, use a spatula to remove the babes from the baking sheet & serve immediately! Serve them with a side of Greek yogurt or coconut ice cream with some ‘mo drizzled cinnamon! (& of course, don’t forget the latte!).
- And, if by some miracle, you are superman/superwoman & you resisted the temptation to eat these babes right off the baking sheet (before they even cooled… GUILTY AF), store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!
- Want ’em to last longer? Freeze ’em, remove ’em from the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to devour ’em LIKE DA COOKIE MONSTER & then reheat them in a countertop oven for a few minutes!!
OH & DO NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT. Throw out that leftover can of pumpkin purée!!!! I’ve got some vegan pumpkin MAC & CHEESE coming your way babies!!!!!!!