THIS FALL WEATHER (& knowing that this year, I can actually enjoy fall & winter without going into hypothermia… literally…) HAS ME SO SO SO HAPPY!!
Not only does it have me ecstatic, actually, but it also gets me in the mood to curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket, baggy sweats, a huge knit sweater, a frothy almond milk latte &…. wait for it… CHIPS! But not just any chips… THESE CHIPS IN PARTICULAR. LET ME EXPLAIN.
Yesterday’s SITCH IN MY KITCH?
BEEEEEETS. BEEEETS. BEETS!
Okay wait, not just beets… BEET CHIPS! I have always been a huge LOVER OF ALL THINGS BEETS (I MEAN… when I say “all things”, what exactly do I mean? I don’t even know.)
Basically, I’VE ALWAYS BEEN A HUGE LOVER OF ROASTED BEETS, OKAY? but… beets & chips were a first timer for me yesterday. There’s a first time for everything & let’s be honest, we don’t ALWAYS nail it on the first time, but let me tell you…. I FREAKING NAILED IT. And at this point, I can VERY VERY SAFELY say:
Who needs store-bought potato chips when you can load up on these crispy babies?
P.S. If beets aren’t your jam, WHY DON’T YOU TRY MY HOMEMADE KALE CHIPS? But honestly, once you try those, you’re going to get SO INSPIRED by veggie chips that you’ll end up making these babies too!! Here’s the kale chip recipe in case you’re lazy AF to use the search bar: Homemade Kale Chips a.k.a. The-Most-Satisfying-Potato-Chip-Alternative a.k.a. Life.
BUT, WHY DID I CHOOSE TO USE BEETS???… million dollar question, right? Why not make my good ‘ol kale chips?!
- Well, first things first, as you munchkins know, I love to change things up & I also love to experiment with new ingredients & foods… IT’S LEGIT WHAT I’M ALL ABOUT. So, since I’ve already hopped on the kale bandwagon, enjoyed the ride & shared the recipe with you babies, YESTERDAY WAS ALL ABOUT ‘DEM BEETS.
BUT WAIT FOR IT… you guys also know that I am ALL ABOUT EATING FOR BENEFITS. And Lord knows beets pack a hella ton of those. So let’s just discuss those for a few short seconds… or well, if we’re being honest here… a few short minutes. SORRY NOT SORRY.
Yes, beets probably have the highest sugar content of all veggies… BUT, when consumed in moderation (like anything, really), their naturally sweet earthy flavour becomes secondary AS THEIR POWERHOUSE OF NUTRIENTS TAKE THE STAND (or the cake… ya know, whatever floats your boat. I think I’m more down for cake actually, BUT WHATEVZ). Anyway, back to the benefits!
- Beets help lower blood pressure! This is because beets naturally contain nitrates, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide helps relax & dilate the blood vessels, improving blood flow & lowering blood pressure!
- Beets help boost exercise & stamina performance. Again, this benefit is related to the nitrates turning into nitric oxide, which reduces the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise & enhances tolerance to high-intensity exercise!
- Beets help fight inflammation! AWWWWW YEAH. Beets contain betaine, which protects the cells, proteins & enzymes from environmental stress. Betaine also helps protect internal organs, improves vascular risk factors, enhances performance & helps prevent many chronic diseases.
- Beets are also great for liver health & for those suffering from diabetes!
- Beets are super high in iron (so they can help fight off fatigue!)
- Beets have anti-cancer properties! The powerful phytonutrients that give them their dark color help ward off certain types of cancer.
- Beets are super duper high in vitamin A + C, fibre & essential minerals like potassium (nervous system healthy + important for muscle function) & manganese (which is bone healthy & important for the liver, kidneys & pancreas). They also contain good quantities of folate.
- BEETS DETOXIFY! The pigment in beets supports the body’s detoxification process, which is when the broken down toxins are bound to other molecules so they can be expelled from the body (SORRY FOR THE TMI). In turn, beets are prized for purifying the liver & the blood!
Enough of a reason (or should I say, REASONS, with an “S”… yes, PLURAL) to choose beet chips over potato chips? I FIGURED.
ANYWHO, for a first timer, I gotta say “GOOD ON ME”. They came out super crispy, a little bit salty, garlicky & vegan “cheesy” (& of course, I threw in some raw organic apple cider because… why the heck not?!).
NEED SOME INSPO ON HOW TO USE (OR RATHER, DEVOUR) THESE BABIES?!
- In bowls or salads!
- Dip ‘em in hummus, homemade pesto or other spreads/dips/guacamole!
- DEVOUR ‘EM JUST LIKE THIS, RIGHT OFF THE PARCHMENT PAPER. YES, FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN! (P.S. Guilty as freaking charged. No shame).
And now, without further ado, LET’S GET DOWN TO THA BIZZZZZZNESS.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 5-6 beets, ROASTED (according to the instructions provided below. DUH!);
- Coconut or avocado oil cooking spray;
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic apple cider vinegar (ALWAYS FROM THE MOTHER!);
- 1 – 1.5 tsp. garlic powder;
- 1 – 1.5 tsp. of cumin;
- 1-2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast (depending how “CHEEZY” you want these babies!);
- Sea salt for seasoning!
- You can also feel free to add any other spices that get you munchkins going, such as black pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, any & all dried herbs & even cinnamon, if you want to go for a sweeter tasting chip!
THAT’S IT BABIES! Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty, a.k.a. how you can make these babes YOURS!
Now, for that HOW-TO:
- ROAST YOUR BEETS!
- Preheat your oven to 400F & wrap your beets in aluminum foil. Before closing the foil, spray them with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray! Close the foil & place the beets in a deep baking dish & bake at 400F for anywhere between 45 & 60 minutes. I usually do it for 55 minutes or the full 60 & they come out perfectly!
- Once they’re roasted, remove them from the oven & USING YOUR OVEN MITT, open the aluminum foil & leave the beets in the dish to cool off. (Trust me, you don’t want to start peeling them right away, unless you want to burn your hands off… & I don’t think you want that!!!).
- Once cooled, peel the beets et voilà. You’ve got your roasted beets (& you did it all by yourself, without going the store-bought route! GOOD ON YOU!)
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside!
- Wash the beets & completely dry them!
- Thinly & evenly slice the beets, as thinly as you can! You can also use a mandolin if you prefer, but a knife will definitely do (If you’re too lazy to take out your mandolin & let’s be honest… you probably are. I WAS TOO, NO SHAME!).
- Add the beets to a mixing bowl & then throw in all the spices & toss everything together until the beets are fully coated in the spice mix! Allow the beets to sit for about 15 minutes to release as much moisture as possible! (This will help you get a crispier chip… AND TRUST ME, YOU WANT CRISPY BEET CHIPS! This step is super duper necessary because without it, your chips will defs be on the soggier side!).
- After about 15 (or even 20) minutes, spread out the sliced beets on your parchment-lined baking sheet & sprinkle them with a tad more sea salt, if you wish! (I skipped that part because I’m really not a “salt-gal”, but whatever floats your boat!).
- Roast the babes at 400F for about 40 minutes, flipping once at halfway mark (a.k.a. AFTER 20 MINUTES, in case you needed some indication, ya know).
- Keep in mind that depending on the thickness & size of the beet chip, some of the babes may cook faster than others. You can either remove them sooner & continue to cook the others, OR you can just leave ‘em there & let them get a little more crisped up & burnt than the others!
- Once roasted, remove from the oven, EAT THEM ALL OFF THE BAKING SHEET (or well… most of them, let’s be honest) & if you do happen to have any leftovers, by some superpower miracle, store them in an airtight container & refrigerate.
- BEST WAY TO EAT THEM POST-REFRIGERATION? Re-heat them in the oven at 400 for a few minutes or quickly under the broiler, BUT WATCH THE BABES… THEY WILL BURN FAST.