Lord knows, on this Thanksgiving Monday, I had some fun in the KITCH. Lez be honest, when do I not have fun in the kitch, right?
No, but today, I ESPECIALLY had fun because I experimented with something I’d never done before! As crazy as it sounds, I made… COLLAGEN-INFUSED BREAD. And I’m not mad about it. I’m not mad about it because it’s FREAKING DELICIOUS & it’s basically THEBOMBDOTCOM. And there really is NOTHING to complain about right thurr.
The original recipe is inspired by Lil’ Sipper (Click here for the original recipe). BUT, I modified it just a bit! Her version is made with pea protein (which:
- I didn’t have &
- I don’t know how I feel about it. I’ve never tried it & I’m MAGICALLY CONTENT WITH MY COLLAGEN PEPTIDES & all the benefits & improvements I see in my health ever since I started taking ’em almost daily. SO ALL THIS TO SAY, I swapped the pea protein for my collagen).
(P.S. To read about all the benefits of collagen, CLICK HERE: Collagen Here, Collagen There, Collagen Everywhere: The Basics & Why You Should Add It To Your Daily Routine!
ANYWHO, back to the recipe, so her version is made with pea protein, egg whites & psyllium husk! I kept the egg whites & psyllium husk (I mean… when a recipe has THIS LITTLE ingredients, how much can you really swap or remove, right?).
BUT, I ALSO THREW IN SOME GARLIC POWDER & BLACK SESAME SEEDS FOR TOPPING & I feel like that JUST DID THE TRICK! There’s something about garlic (aside from the fact that it gives me REALLY FREAKING BAD GARLIC BREATH, TMI. #sorrynotsorry)… there’s actually something I LOVE ABOUT IT. I think you can most probably tell, given how often I use it, right?!
OKAY, so what makes this bread SO SO AWESOME?!
- packed with all the wonderful benefits of collagen! (which you can read all about in the post linked above, if you have approximately an hour because LORD KNOWS I RANT FOR DAYS)
- rich in protein!
- ZERO carbs!
- jammed with fibre due to the psyllium husk!
- super duper über gut healthy!
- paleo & keto friendly!
- sugar free!
- crumbly on the outside with a touch of sesame & just the right amount of moist & chewy on the inside!
- great topped with some homemade jam, nut butter or cheese!
BTW, if you munchkins want to read all about the benefits of PSYLLIUM HUSK, Lord knows I’ve ranted about it already. HERE’S THE LINK: Vanilla Strawberry & Mango Protein-Packed Smoothie Bowl Topped with Bluebs, Flax & Gluten-Free Muesli a.k.a. Creamy-Luscious-Deliciousness-Oh-&-Did-Somebody-Say-FIBRE?!
Too lazy to scroll through that entire post to read about the benefits, NO WORRIES. I GOT YOUR BACK. In a nutshell? Psyllium husk is a soluble fibre & prebiotic. Once it is consumed, it actually expands, which in turn promotes easy, healthy elimination & digestion by sweeping toxins out of the body more quickly & effectively. If the digestive benefits weren’t enough, it’s also heart-healthy, great for regulating cholesterol & blood pressure, helps treat acidity & balances pH levels int he body & is great for appetite control & weight maintenance!
WANT NEED IT IN YOUR LIFE.
HECK, ADMIT YOU
WANT NEED THIS BREAD IN YOUR LIFE.
Oh & just wait until you see how easily & quickly you can whip this bread up. No need for all the waiting around for dough to rise & whatnot… THIS BABE CAN BE YOURS IN LIKE 35-40 MINUTES?! YA DIG?
I know you do. I just know. I can read you.
NOW, without further ado & out of fear that you’ll hate me if I kill you with just too much suspense, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU’LL NEED:
- 9 egg whites, BEATEN LIKE CRAY-CRAY;
- 1 cup of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (Get them HERE using my affiliate link);
- 1/4 cup of fine ground psyllium husk (available at most health food stores!);
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tbsp. of black sesame seeds (or white) for topping!
NOW, let me break down how easy it is for you:
- Preheat your oven to 325F & line a loaf pan with parchment paper!
- Beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until fluffy & peaks form! This should take about 3 minutes (P.S. If you don’t have a stand/hand mixer on hand or you’re simply too lazy to take it out – I WAS! – you can use a whisk. Keep in mind that if you do use a whisk:
- 1) your arm will FREAKING KILL by the time you’re done.
- 2) it might take a bit longer &
- 3) your bread might not expand as much when baked, as it would if it were beaten with the electric mixer!).
- Mix the Collagen Peptides & psyllium husk together & then gently fold into the bowl with the egg whites! Throw in the tsp. of garlic powder & mix until fully combined & a batter is formed!
- Pour the beautiful batter into your loaf pan, top it with the sesame seeds & bake for about 30-35 minutes! (I baked mine for 33 & it came out perfectly!).
- LET COOL then slice & DEVOUR!
- Once cooled, sliced & half the batch is eaten, store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to toast it & DEVOUR AGAIN!