My Top 3 (Kay, Fine, Maybe A Few More!) Skincare Products That I Simply Cannot Live Without a.k.a. The Token “Things I’d Bring On A Desert Island With Moi”!
Today, I’m going to be telling you all about my all-time fave skincare products that I cannot live without!
Let me tell you, narrowing these babes down was almost as hard as deciding whether I want pasta or a massive bowl of plant-based deliciousness for dinner. IT’S A HARD KNOCK LIFE, LET ME TELL YA. No, but seriously, given the amount of products I use on a daily basis, you guys can imagine how hard it was to make my picks, BUT I DID IT!
First things first, I just want to talk about the IMPORTANCE of cleanser. If you’re just starting out, don’t necessarily have a skincare regimen in place & you don’t really know where to start, I would recommend starting out with a cleanser. It’s the first ESSENTIAL step in any regimen because it creates your blank slate for the rest of your routine.
Put it this way: How could you justify applying toner, serum, essential oil, moisturizer & eye creams to a face that hasn’t been cleansed & that’s still packed with all the toxins, dirt & sweat that’s been accumulated throughout the day (or overnight)? If you do that, you’re opening the door & giving all that “crap” (PARDON MY FRENCH) an opportunity to seep into your skin, get absorbed & clog your pores. And really, what’s worse than clog pores? OKAY FINE, THERE ARE WORST THINGS IN LIFE, but you catch my drift, right?
NOW, I know I said I would stick to three products, BUT, I kinda stuck to three “themes”… I’m sorry, I JUST COULDN’T PICK.
The first theme is, IF IT WASN’T ALREADY OBVIOUS ENOUGH…. CLEANSER!
Then, we’ll talk about my favourite night time serum & some eye care!
Youth To The People Kale, Green Tea, Spinach & Vitamins Age-Prevention Cleanser
- I LOVE using this in the morning because:
- It’s super refreshing & makes my skin LITERALLY feel clean AF!
- It’s super gentle. Sometimes, I wake up & my face is swollen so I don’t necessarily want to be applying a harsh product to my skin (i.e. one that contains beads or exfoliants).
- If you have sensitive skin that reacts to products often, I think this is a great cleanser to start out with.
- What I also love about it is that it’s super hydrating & doesn’t make my skin feel dry. A lot of cleansers will strip your skin of its essential oils, so that’s definitely something to look out for, especially with the cold winter months creeping up on us.
- Super clean ingredients (kale, spinach, green tea & alfalfa).
- Packed with antioxidants, so it’s great for protecting your skin from free radical damage & environmental toxins!
- You can get it online from Sephora (I haven’t seen it in stores) & it retails for $40CAD. Get it HERE!
Living Libations Sea Buckthorn Best Skin Ever Cleanser
- I use this every night as the first step in my skincare routine & it’s GOLD.
- The main ingredient in here is Sea Buckthorn Oil, which is packed with omega 3, 6, 9 & 7 (which is SUPER rare!) & ANTIOXIDANTS!
- It’s also anti-inflammatory & great for balancing your skin’s pH & supporting healthy cell turnover.
- It’s great for dry skin, acne prone skin but also great for anyone with normal, oily or combination skin because sometimes, you gotta fight oil with oil!
- Basically, the logic behind this is based on the scientific concept (& I’m scientist, BUT THIS ONE’S NOT TOO COMPLICATED TO UNDERSTAND) of “like dissolving like“, meaning that, substances with similar characteristics dissolve in each other. Ever wonder why oil & water don’t mix & why you can never get oily stains out of your clothing?! THAT’S WHY. Most cleansers are very harsh on the skin & dry it out… & y’all know that dehydrated skin tends to get flaky, dry &… worst part: even end up producing MORE OIL to compensate. BUT ALL HAIL OIL CLEANSERS. When you cleanse with oil, you create an environment that dissolves the oils on your skin WITHOUT DRYING IT OUT! Oil cleansing can help reduce breakouts, control the amount of oil your skin produces & moisturize the dry & flaky patches!
- It’s super nourishing & hydrating & will leave your skin feeling fresh & bright.
- I have noticed substantial differences in my skin when I started using this. My bottle actually broke a while back & I wasn’t using this cleanser for about a week & my skin went WHACK & broke out. No joke. When I restarted using it, everything fell back into place, my breakouts cleared & my skin went back to normal. YES, LIKE MAGIC.
- I used to have a lot of redness/dark spots on my face & this REALLY helped!
- The ingredients are super clean & include: Jojoba, cocoa creme, sea buckthorn, tamanu, lavender, vetiver, grapefruit & palmarosa.
- You can get this at Le Brow Bar (if you’re from Montreal), or online (on the Living Libations website HERE or on Detox Market Canada HERE) & it retails for about $50CAD.
Sunday Riley Good Genes
- I use this every other night, with either the Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Oil, the UFO oil or another essential oil (Rosehip seed oil or Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate).
- This product made all my dark spots & redness get so much better. They’re not entirely gone because my dark circles will ALWAYS be a part of me (unfortunately), but ever since starting to use this, in conjunction with the Sea Buckthorn Cleanser & the Luna Sleeping Night Oil, the improvements I’ve seen are amazing.
- The main ingredient in this is Lactic Acid, which is amazing for dry skin, hyper-pigmentation, it’s a very gentle exfoliator too! (It has no beads in it so it won’t make your skin react or get irritated/red) & will help promote the production of collagen & fight the signs of aging!
- Every time I wake up after using this, my skin is glowing, radiant, bright & feels plump!
- BUT… THERE ARE SOME BEWARES!
- If you have sensitive skin, keep in mind that lactic acid is a strong ingredient. You may react at first. AND, even if you don’t have sensitive skin, odds are that your skin may be irritated at first. IT’S NORMAL. But, if the irritation persists, the ingredient might be too strong for you. If that’s the case, DON’T DESPAIR. There are other great serums out there that are a bit easier on the skin. Most serums will contain strong, bioactive ingredients & compounds, but you can always switch to something a little less strong, such as the Drunk Elephant Glycolic Acid C-Framboos Serum (which is my 2nd fave night serum!).
- To read my full blog post on why I’m so obsessed with this product, click here: All About Lactic Acid & Good Genes & Luna Sleeping Night Oil by Sunday Riley a.k.a. My-Secret-To-Radiant-Luminuous-Glowing-Red-Carpet-Worthy-Skin!
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $135-200CAD (Depending on the size you choose to buy) Get it HERE!
Peter Thomas Roth Power K Eye Rescue
This is very particular to me because I have very bad dark spots/circles. I recommend a thick eye cream. I always use my eye cream in conjunction with an eye serum, BUT YOU DON’T NECESSARILY NEED TO. You can choose to use either a serum or an eye cream or blend ’em!
- The ingredients in here are absolutely amazing! It contains vitamin K, C & green tea, which are all packed with antioxidants, as well as citrus bioflavonoids, which will help brighten your skin!
- What’s awesome about this product is that it also contains CoEnzyme Q10 (which I started taking in recovery for heart health but have continued taking ever since for its other benefits) in the form of little black beads. The skin under our eyes is very thin & most susceptible to developing all the signs of aging, such as fine lines & wrinkles. That’s where the CoQ10 comes in.
- This is the eye cream that made me fall in love with thick eye creams because it’s the first one that really let me see a difference in my dark circles & really helped brighten my under-eye area!
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $125CAD (I swear, it’s WORTH IT!) Get it HERE!
Biossance Squalene + Peptide Eye Gel
- I really find that the combination of a thick & creamy eye cream with a serum is most beneficial to my DARK CIRCLE SITCH. But again, that’s not something that you have to do & you can very well provide your under-eyes with the proper care by simply choosing to use one of the two based on what your main concerns are.
- The main ingredient in this is plant-based derived squalene (which is 100% sustainable & derived from sugarcane), which is something that our skin naturally produces. But, like collagen, the natural production of it decreases overtime. Basically, it’s a moisturizing molecule that hydrates, all while locking in essential moisture & not stripping skin of its natural oils or drying it out.
- It really helped reduce the puffiness & my dark circles.
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $68CAD. Get it HERE!
Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Eye Serum
- Contains tons of antioxidants, Sea Buckthorn Oil, black tea ferment,copper peptides & is basically an anti-aging eye cream!
- I really find that this helped make the skin under my eyes firmer & brighter.
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $72CAD. Get it HERE!
Juice Beauty Smoothing Eye Concentrate
- LOVE the ingredients in this one! Made with aloe, organic grape & carrot juices, cucumber, jojoba, sunflower & avocado extracts & other essential fatty acids & vitamins.
- It’s also completely vegan & packed with antioxidants!
- What I LOVE most about this eye cream is how hydrating/moisturizing it is!
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $36CAD. Get it HERE!
Youth To The People Age Prevention Superfood Eye Cream
- Contains tons of antioxidants, aloe, sunflower oil, tons of vitamins & tripeptide 5, which help firm & hydrate the skin, reduce the look of fine lines, wrinkles, support natural collagen production & prevent the overall signs of aging!
- What I notice most about this eye cream is that whenever I use it, the skin under my eyes looks brighter & more plump/firm.
- You can get it at Sephora & it retails for $44CAD. Get it HERE!