HAPPY MONDAY (FUNDAY).
KIDDING, I know Mondays aren’t fun days… Listen, it’s reality. BUT, I can make your Monday a little more fun by telling you how to whip up this babe of a soup! Then, you’ll have something to look forward to all day while you’re sitting at your desk counting down the hours until it’s 5 O’CLOCK & YOU’RE OUTTA THERE. Ya feel me?
So what have we here?! As you guys know, I’m from Montreal & fall weather is slowly started to creep up on us. AND, it has me in all kinds of warm & cozy soup moods! So last night, I whipped up a quick & easy VEGAN (& GLUTEN-FREE) TOMATO RED CABBAGE SOUP! Not only are all the ingredients delicious & flavourful, BUT I ALSO threw in some fresh grated turmeric & cayenne pepper for added flavour & zing!
In a nutshell, this is basically an anti-inflammatory detox soup packed with tons of vitamins & minerals, crunchy veggies & loads of spices! It’ll warm you up, satisfy you & give you all the feels!
PLUS, you can throw in some ground or shredded beef, turkey or chicken to make it extra hearty & give it EVEN MORE flavour! AND, if you want to keep it vegan, you can throw in some cooked quinoa, buckwheat, green or red lentils &/or some chickpeas or another type of bean or legume! I’ll give you munchkins all the lowdown on when you should add all this deliciousness into the soup as you make it! No worries, I GOT YOUR BACK. OBVS.
Now, before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to whip this baby up, let’s talk about the benefits of two of the main events in this babe (one of which you can’t see BUT YOU CAN MOST CERTAINLY TASTE: TURMERIC!) & RED CABBAGE!
- Boosts the immune system. Since it contains vitamin C, a crucial antioxidant needed for the strength of our immune systems, red cabbage stimulates the activity of white blood cells, which is the first line of defence for the immune system! (A little plus? As you guys know, vitamin C is important in the formation of collagen, which keeps our bods & cells connected & solid!).
- P.S. When comparing red & green cabbage, while they are both great for your health, red cabbage packs a more powerful nutritional profile, i.e. it contains about 85% of the daily vitamin C our bodies need while green only provides 47%! Red cabbage actually has MORE vitamin C than… ORANGES!
- Fights inflammation due to its phytonutrient content!
- Helps with healthy bones & reduces the risk of osteoporosis! Since it’s very rich in vitamin-K, red cabbage increases the amount of a specific protein required to maintain bone calcium, which in turn, reduces the risk of developing osteoporosis!
- May help fight chronic disease due to its antioxidant content!
- P.S. Red cabbage contains the nutrient anthocyanin, which you won’t find in green cabbage! This is where it gets its purple colour & these nutrients provide more evidence of the cancer-fighting flavonoids it contains!
- Promotes a healthy gut! (When fermented!).
- Also, a great source of other vitamins & minerals, such as vitamin A, manganese, B6 & potassium!
- One of the most frequently mentioned medicinal herbs in all of science!
- Turmeric may slow & prevent blood clotting!
- It may help correct or reduce depression symptoms!
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Many diseases such as cancer, ulcerative colitis, arthritis & high cholesterol or chronic pain can be the result of inflammation!
- Turmeric also contains tons of antioxidants that can help treat certain skin conditions!
- It can help reverse many of the issues related to insulin resistance & hyperglycaemia & can help lower blood sugar!
- Helps with healthy weight maintenance!
- May help with IBS, Chron’s & colitis!
- Can help relieve oxidative stress & inflammation in the treatment of high cholesterol!
- Natural painkiller!
- May help treat diseases & conditions caused by chronic inflammation, thereby acting comparably to a “steroid”, such as: asthma, acne, cancer, diabetes onset, high blood pressure, insomnia, indigestion, kidney issues, nausea & mood disturbances.
ALL THIS TO SAY, I GUESS IT’S SAFE TO SAY THAT THIS SOUP PACKS A HECK OF A NUTRITIONAL PUNCH! Ya dig?
And now, without further ado, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 medium sweet white onion, DICED;
- 4 garlic cloves, CRUSHED OR MINCED;
- 3 celery stalks, CHOPPED;
- 3 long carrots, PEELED & CHOPPED;
- Sea salt & pepper to taste;
- 1 tsp. of oregano
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper;
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric root, GRATED;
- 1 15-oz. can of cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes (I used the cherry tomatoes by Favuzzi);
- Approx. 4 oz. of organic (no salt added) tomato paste (I used the one by BioNature);
- 6 cups of water/vegetable or chicken broth (You can also do half water/half broth, if you prefer!);
- 1/2 head of purple or green cabbage, CHOPPED;
- TOPPING: Fresh chopped cilantro, black pepper &/or Sriracha/red pepper chilli flakes for some added spiciness!
- OPTIONAL ADD-IN – PROTEIN: Some options include ground chicken/turkey/beef, shredded chicken/beef, quinoa, buckwheat, lentils, chickpeas or another type of legume/bean.
- If adding ground chicken/turkey/beef or shredded chicken/beef, you can either prepare it before OR cook it at the same time as your veggies! (For inspiration on how to cook your ground chicken/turkey/beef, here are some ideas:
- If adding quinoa/buckwheat/lentils, cook it separately, beforehand or while your soup is simmering & then add it in a few minutes before the cabbage is done simmering!
- If adding chickpeas or another type of bean, add them in when you’ve got 10 minutes left for the cabbage to cook!
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stockpot over MEDIUM-HIGH heat!
- Once heated, add your garlic, onions, celery & carrots & sauté for a few minutes until they become fragrant & tender!
- Now, season your veggies with sea salt, pepper, oregano & cayenne! Toss to coat the veggies in the spices.
- If you’re adding ground turkey/chicken/beef or shredded chicken/beef, add it NOW & sauté until it’s almost cooked through & no longer pink! (Keep in mind that it will still have time to cook as you continue to prep the soup & you don’t want to overcook it!).
- Stir in the diced/cherry tomatoes, the tomato paste, the nutritional yeast & the turmeric & mix well to combine with the other ingredients!
- Once you’ve got a beautiful mix going down in your stockpot, add the water/veggie/chicken broth & bring to a boil!
- Once boiled, stir in the cabbage & simmer for 20 minutes, until the cabbage softens! Add some more spices & nutritional yeast, if you wish!
- If adding chickpeas or another type of bean, add them in at the halfway simmer mark!
- If adding cooked quinoa/buckwheat or lentils, add it in a few minutes before the cabbage is done simmering!
- If adding ground chicken/beef/turkey or shredded chicken/beef that has already been cooked prior to making the recipe, add it in a few minutes before the cabbage is done simmering (You don’t want it to overcook & get dried out!).
- At the 20-minute mark, taste the soup & adjust the seasoning as needed (If you used water, you may find that you need to add a bit more spices if you feel the soup is lacking some flavour!). If you add some spices, stir them in & let simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes!
- Remove the soup from the heat, serve & DEVOUR!!
- Top your bowls with fresh chopped cilantro, black pepper, Sriracha &/or red pepper chilli flakes!