Chickpea Collard Green Wrap with Spinach & Cilantro “Cheesy” Vegan Pesto & Mild Salsa a.k.a. Plant-Based Goodness At It’s Absolute Finest
I hope you’re all having a great day!
In case you aren’t, LET ME BETTER IT. And if you are, LET ME MAKE IT EVEN BETTER!
ON TODAY’S MENU: Chickpea Collard Green Wrap with Spinach & Cilantro “Cheesy” Vegan Pesto & Mild Salsa, ANYONE? Yes please!! I’m already dying JUST at the sound of it! MY GOODNESS!
If this isn’t plant-based goodness at its finest, then I don’t know what is!
Packed with greens, protein, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, B12 & good-for-you carbs, this wrap makes for the perfect quick, simple & easy lunch (OR DINNER, but if it’s dinner, I totally recommend having two!), whether you’re making it fresh or taking it to go! You simply cannot go wrong.
ALSO, you will feel all kinds of amazing after
eating DEVOURING IT!
- You’ll feel full & satisfied (but not so full that you’ll be hit with that 3PM afternoon slump where all you could think about is your bed & Netflix).
- You’ll feel like you had a treat, because you will be shocked at how freaking DELISH this is when all the flavours meld together, BUT YOU WON’T FEEL GUILTY!
- All this to say, THIS WRAP WILL MAKE YOU FEEL GREAT! I mean, let’s be honest, who doesn’t feel great when they know they’re eating REAL FOOD. REAL INGREDIENTS. RAW FOOD. WHOLE FOODS. & it still tastes delicious… BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.
Before we get into the nitty-gritty (BUT REALLY REALLY EASY-NESS) of how to put this wrap together, or should I say, HOW TO WRAP THIS BABY UP, I just want to discuss COLLARD GREENS. Quickly, I swear!
They contain great doses of protein, fibre, calcium & iron!
A great source of Vitamin A, which makes them great for preserving the health of our skin, eyes & teeth & also helps fight cellular damage!
Rich in Vitamin K, which means they are great for bone health, help with calcium absorption & reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis!
Good source of folate, which helps with overall cell renewal & regeneration & nervous system and brain health!
Great source of omega-3 fatty-acids, which means they are anti-inflammatory!
DETOX. DETOX. DETOX!
Great source of vitamin C & again, of vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), and manganese, and a good source of vitamin E, collard greens provide us with four core conventional antioxidants. ALSO, Caffeic acid, ferulic acid, quercetin, and kaempferol are among the key antioxidant phytonutrients provided by collard greens. This overall antioxidant support helps lower the risk of oxidative stress in our cells.
KAY SO I GUESS IT’S SAFE TO SAY THAT COLLARD GREENS ARE HEALTHY. You? (P.S. I told you I’d be quick!)
AND NOW, without further ado, LET’S GET RIGHT TO IT!
FOR ONE WRAP, my loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- One large leaf of Collard Greens;
- Loads of my Vegan Nut-Free “Cheesy” Spinach, Cilantro & Chickpea Pesto a.k.a. The-Best-Excuse-To-Incorporate-Plant-Based-Protein-Into-Your-Diet-Oh-&-Greens-Fix-Please!
- Mild (or any kind you like!) organic salsa (I use the Neal Brothers one!);
- Cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1 small cucumber, SLICED THINLY;
- 1/2 cup of organic chickpeas;
- FOR TOPPING: Alfalfa sprouts, nutritional yeast (I use Bob’s Red Mill), coarsely ground black pepper & sea salt!
- OPTIONAL: Sriracha &/or red pepper chilli flakes for some spice!
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- First things first, cut the white portion of the stalk from your greens that has no leafy greens attached to it (leaving it there will make the wrap harder to roll later on).
- Once you’ve cut that off, soak the greens in a bath of warm water & vinegar for about 5 minutes so that they’re clean & room temperature (which makes them more flexible for rolling later!).
- Dry the leaves completely & place them flat (rough side up) on a plate or cutting board!
- NOW, let’s get down to business. Spread loads of the pesto & salsa directly onto the wrap. Then, top the pesto & salsa with the chickpeas, halved cherry tomatoes & sliced cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & then drizzle some nutritional yeast, black pepper & sea salt (You can also add some Sriracha or red pepper chilli flakes, if you want to make it a little spicy!).
- Roll the sides in the same way that you would roll a wrap, making sure to roll as tightly as you can (BUT BE GENTLE – Remember, this is a leaf. It will rip if you are too wild & savage with it!). Once it’s rolled, fold over the top part! (Given that there’s tons of paste in there from the pesto, it should hold together perfectly!).
- Cut in half & DEVOUR.
- I find that keeping it whole literally makes it too much of a HANDFUL, if ya know what I mean!
- P.S. These babies make for a great on-the-go lunch that you can prep beforehand because they won’t get soggy like bread or a pita wrap would!