KAY SO, VEGAN SPROUTED GREEN LENTIL SOUP, ANYONE?
Even though we’re going through a freaking heat wave here in Montreal, the fact that it’s supposed to be FALL has me in all kinds of warm & hearty soup, chilis, pumpkin & cinnamon moods. Ya feel me?
Clean, healthy ingredients!
Warm & hearty SPROUTED green lentils! (I use the ones by Tru Roots,
Delicious savoury fall spices!
Organic vegetable broth & diced tomatoes!
This is the BEST LENTIL SOUP I HAVE EVER HAD! Literally!
(& it’s the perfect opportunity for you to incorporate some more plant-based protein into your diet!)
Before we get into the nutritional punch of these babes, can we just discuss their beautiful nutty & earthy flavour?! There’s just something about them that makes them superior to most other legumes. Call me crazy, BUT I’M IN LOVE!!!
NOW, FLAVOUR IS A GOOD THING & ALL, but but but… what about NUTRITION!?
They can help reduce blood cholesterol because they contain LOADS OF FIBRE!
The babes can also help reduce overall risk of heart disease because they are an amazing source of folate & magnesium!
Not only are they super heart healthy, but the insoluble dietary fibre found in these babies helps with digestive health!
OKAY, as if that wasn’t enough (You all know how much I ❤ my fibre!), the soluble fibre in lentils also helps trap carbs, slowing down digestion & stabilizing your blood sugar!
OHHHH, did you munchkins know that a whole 26% of lentil’s calories is attributed to protein?!? Basically, LENTILS = GOOD PROTEIN (especially if you are vegan or vegetarian & are trying to substitute for meat protein!)
These cute little munchkins also help increase energy because of its fibre & complex carbs!
They are also a great source of iron, which helps transport oxygen throughout your body & is a key nutrient to energy production & metabolism!
UHHH, HELLO LENTILS. WELCOME TO MY LIFE!
BEST PART? You get to reap all these beneifts, with an ALMOST-NO-FAT content, a.k.a. NUTRITION WITHOUT THE GUILT!!!!!
OH & they keep you FULL & SATISFIED AF.
ANYWHO, now that that rant is over. CAN I JUST TELL YOU WHAT MAKES THIS SOUP SO FREAKING AMAZING? I promise, after that, we’ll get to the nitty-gritty. Honestly, I’m not really going to wait for your permission… SORRY NOT SORRY. I just HAVE TO SHARE (I mean, when do I not?!).
I’ll be brief (or not…)…
- Basically, it’s EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A FALL SOUP & it’s going to become a STAPLE.
- Warm & savoury & tasty & delicious!
- COMFORTING AF, BUT WITHOUT THE GUILT!
- The spice combination is ON FLEEK, as they say!
- It’s packed with protein, healthy fats, good carbs, vitamins & minerals!
- LOADED WITH VITAMIN C (Thanks to the diced tomatoes!)!
- Refined sugar-free!
- A lil’ bit crunchy thanks to the celery!
BASICALLY… A DREAM!
And now, on that note, without further ado, LET’S MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, CHOPPED;
- 4 stalks celery, CHOPPED;
- 4 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of curry powder;
- ½ tsp. of dried thyme;
- 1 large can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes, DRAINED;
- 1 cup of green lentils (brown lentils will work too!);
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth (chicken or beef broth will work too!);
- 2 cups of water;
- 1/2 tsp. of sea salt;
- A pinch of red pepper flakes;
- Freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (parsley, kale or spinach will work too!);
- TOPPING: More cilantro & coarsely ground black pepper &/or red pepper chilli flakes or Sriracha for some spiciness!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Warm the coconut oil cooking spray in a medium/large stock pot over MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT!
- Once the oil is warm, add the chopped onion & celery & cook, stirring every now & then, until the onion has softened, is turning translucent & fragrant. This will take anywhere between 5-7 minutes!
- NOW, add the garlic, cumin, curry powder, red pepper chilli flakes & thyme! Cook until fragrant, while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds to 1 minute!
- OK LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS. Now, pour in the drained diced tomatoes & cook for a few more minutes, stirring often, in order to allow them to absorb all the flavours from the savoury spices!
- Once you’ve got the tomatoes down-packed, pour in the lentils, veggie broth & water! Add 1/2 tsp. of sea salt (You may find you will need to add a bit more once you taste it, but personally, I think it’s always best to start out with less salt & then to add, as necessary!) & season generously with freshly ground black pepper!
- NOW, LET’S GET THIS PARTY (OOPS, I MEAN HEAT) STARTED. Raise your heat & bring the GORG mixture to a BOIL, then PARTIALLY (Yes, not fully) cover & reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer! Cook for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape (AKA. YOU DO NOT WANT TO CREATE A LENTIL MUSH OR MASH!).
- At the 30-minute mark, transfer two cups of the soup to your blender! Purée it until smooth, luscious, velvety & creamy (& every other synonym in the book!).
- Pour the puréed soup back into the pot & add in the fresh cilantro! Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the cilantro has wilted & softened!
- AT THIS POINT, YOU’RE BEAMING & BOOOMING WITH EXCITEMENT, lez be honest. So without further ado, remove the pot from the heat, taste & adjust seasoning if necessary! (Add more salt, pepper or chilli flakes if you want a bit more spice!).
- SERVE STAT & DEVOUR!
- Garnish with some more fresh cilantro, coarsely ground black pepper &/or some red pepper chilli flakes or Sriracha for some spice!
- P.S. IF THERE ARE ANY, leftovers will last for about 3-4 days in the fridge (or can be frozen, if this is something you want to meal prep!!)