Back with some ‘mo yumminess for you munchkins!
KAY, I don’t know about you guys but I am legit drooling just at the description of this pesto… I mean… DO YOU BLAME ME?
I already have two pesto recipes up on the blog from a while back:
- Homemade Basil, Spinach, Mint & Garlic Pesto (Yep, From Scratch) a.k.a. The-Ultimate-Green-Goddess-&-the-Definition-of-#EatYoGreens
- Kelly’s Pesto a.k.a. You-Are-Absolutely-Positively-Gorgeously-Green-&-I-Can’t-Take-My-Eyes-Off-Of-You
& Yes, they are FREAKING DELICIOUS, but one contains pine nuts & the other is a little more complex in terms of amount of ingredients!
So today, I wanted to make a NUT-FREE version to satisfy EVEN MORE DIETARY RESTRICTIONS & I wanted to make it with LESS INGREDIENTS, to FACILITATE YOUR LIVES!
Admit you love me. I LOVE YOU TOO!
Honestly, I was a bit skeptical at first. I wasn’t sure if it would blend up the way I wanted it to or if I would get that thick, smooth & creamy consistency I was looking for without the oil released from the nuts… BUT THEN IT WORKED. AND I DID. I GOT THE TEXTURE. I GOT IT ALL. IT WORKED!
All you need is YOUR BLENDER & 9 ingredients & an airtight container for fridge storage. THAT’S IT!
The base is spinach & fresh cilantro, with loads of nutritional yeast for that nutty-cheesy flavour & a splash of lemon juice for acidity, brightness & a wee bit of citrus! (& Guess what? THE NUTRITIONAL YEAST GIVES YOU A DOSE OF B12, which is super important for vegans, vegetarians & people who don’t eat red meat!).
If I had to sum this baby up in just a few words (Let’s be honest, it won’t really be a summary & it won’t be just a few words, BUT WHATEVZ)…
Easy, quick, simple!
Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free & NUT-FREE!
Thick, smooth & creamy!
Great as a spread, pasta sauce, dip, add-in to thicken salad dressings, or topping for bowls/salads/soups or breakfast toast!
Full of greens, vitamins, minerals!
Packed with plant-based protein & healthy fats!
Rich source of B12 thanks to the nutritional yeast! I use the one by Bob’s Red Mill (which means this will definitely help give you a little energy boost!)
NOW, without further ado, LET ME TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE THIS BABE!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups of spinach;
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro;
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- Juice of one organic lemon;
- 1/4 cup of organic chickpeas;
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- Sea salt;
- Black pepper;
- Dried basil!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO:
- Add all the ingredients to your blender & BLEND until smooth, creamy, thick consistency is obtained & all the ingredients are fully combined & incorporated! You will have to scrape the sides every now & then, as necessary!
- Taste & adjust seasoning to your liking!
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate! BAM!