Kelly’s Sweet & Savoury Sprouted Toast a.k.a. When-Your-Breaky-Goals-Are-The-Best-Of-Both-Worlds!
Hi AGAIN munchkins!
This morning’s breaky was a little different than the usual but I had a really big craving for toast, so toast it was!
Y’all know how I feel about cravings, right? In case you don’t? SATISFY THEM! If you wanna know more all about my philosophy regarding cravings, READ THIS.
ANYWHO, let’s get into HOW I SATISFIED MINE THIS MORNING! So, first I established that I was going to have toast… but then, FIRST WORLD PROBLEM – What to put on the toast, right? I wanted salty, but I also wanted sweet, so WE MET HALFWAY. I made one savoury toast & one sweet one.
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS SITCH, YA DIG?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of what I topped the toast with, LET ME JUST TELL YOU THAT THERE IS NO BETTER TOAST OUT THERE THAN EZEKIEL. I’m not exaggerating. This is the ONLY toast I eat (& the only one I need in my life, TBH). And… IT’S SPROUTED. I’ve ranted & raved all about the benefits of sprouted grains to you munchkins numerous times in the past, but I’ll do so again, BRIEFLY, just because Lord knows how many posts ago that was.
LET ME EXPLAIN.
Increased overall vitamin, nutrient & mineral content, including B vitamins, vitamin C, folate, fibre & essential amino acids!
Easier to digest than refined grains & less allergenic for those with grain / gluten sensitivities! Basically, once the grains are soaked & sprouted, it helps pre-digest the gluten & becomes easier to break down & digest!
Nutrients are absorbed immediately into the body & are not lost in the digestive process because the carbs & proteins have already been broken down due to the enzymes released during the sprouting process!
Refined flours, breads, grains contain PHYTIC ACID, which in simple terms, is a mineral blocker or enzyme inhibitor & it’s what binds to minerals. Basically, when you eat white bread, most of the vitamins are locked in due to the phytic acid & your body can’t digest the wheat. All this to say, if your bread isn’t sprouted, 80% of the iron & magnesium that you would have gotten from the whole grain cannot be digested (This is the same logic behind why almonds & other nuts are soaked because it KILLS off the phytic acid, which essentially unlocks the nutrients to a point where your body is able to absorb the iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus & all the other nutrients found in whole grains).
FIBRE. FIBRE. FIBRE! Sprouted grains are higher in fibre & whole food-based nutrients! Research has even found that when seeds are sprouted, their fibre content increases & becomes more bio-available!
TO CONCLUDE, GO BUY EZEKIEL BREAD (or any other brand of sprouted toast, but I highly recommend Ezekiel!). You won’t regret it. It will better your life. OKAY, maybe I’m exaggerating. But, it will definitely improve your digestion & provide you with way more health benefits than you would get from regular bread.
NOW, not only is this breakfast a breaky for champs thanks to the SPROUTED GRAINS, but it’s also:
Protein-packed (from the egg whites & almond butter!)
Loaded with healthy fats (thanks again, almond butter!)
Full of fibre!
Antioxidant-rich (thanks to the blueberries), potassium-packed (thanks to the banana) & loaded with vitamin C (thanks to the cherry tomatoes)!
Anti-inflammatory (cinnamon, FTW!)
Delicious, filling & satisfying!
BASICALLY, a win, win, win ALL OVER THE PLACE!
Now that we’ve got all of that down-packed, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY…
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE SWEET TOAST:
- 1 slice of Ezekiel bread, TOASTED;
- 1 tbsp. of my Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Butter (RECIPE HERE);
- 1-2 tbsp. of my Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Mixed Berry Jam (RECIPE HERE);
- Banana slices & fresh blueberries;
- Cinnamon sprinkle!
- OPTIONAL: Raw organic honey/pure organic maple syrup for added sweetness OR hemp/flax or chia seeds for an extra dose of healthy fats!
FOR THE SAVOURY TOAST:
- 1 slice of Ezekiel bread, TOASTED;
- 2 egg whites;
- A few cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- Coconut oil cooking spray (I use Spectrum Organic);
- Black pepper, sea salt & garlic powder for seasoning;
- Alfalfa sprouts, sunflower shoots or other micro greens;
- Coarsely ground black pepper for garnish!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: TOAST YOUR BREAD. DUH.
- For the sweet toast: Simply spread the almond butter, top it with the jam, bananas, blueberries & sprinkle with cinnamon! Add the optional toppings once your toast is ready!
- For the savoury toast:
- Make your egg whites & tomatoes: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat & spray with the coconut oil cooking spray. Once heated, lower your fire to medium & add your egg whites. Once you see that they are beginning to cook, throw in your cherry tomatoes & season with black pepper, garlic powder & sea salt. Sauté the egg whites & tomatoes for a couple minutes until they are cooked through & the tomatoes begin to wilt & look braised! Remove from the heat!
- Now, top the second piece of toast with the egg whites & tomatoes, top them with the alfalfa sprouts & sprinkle some coarsely ground black pepper for garnish!