SUPERFOOD-PACKED Healthy, Gluten-Free & Vegan Carrot Cake Cookies a.k.a. Just-The-Right-Amount-Of-Crispy-Chewy-Moist-&-You-Won’t-Believe-It’s-Not-Cake!
It’s the weekend.
It’s pretty much summer all over again (Not like we had much of a summer here in Montreal, but ya know).
AND I’M ABOUT TO TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE THESE CARROT CAKE COOKIES.
So in a nutshell, IT’S A FREAKING GOOD DAY. Ya dig? I know you do.
First things first, let’s get one thing settled here. Whoever said a cookie couldn’t be healthy never tried these SUPERFOOD-PACKED, healthy, gluten-free & vegan carrot cake cookies! I’m serious.
You guys have no idea what these babes will do to you. And what I mean by that is that the party they will throw in your mouth will be so freaking HUGE that it’s going to turn into one of those like MASSIVE HOUSE PARTIES THAT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GET OUT OF HAND. And by out of hand, I mean, self-control & resistance when it comes to these babies is pretty much impossible.
BUT HEY, AT LEAST THEY’RE HEALTHY, right? A cookie (or two, or three, or four) a day keeps a doctor away. I’m pretty sure that’s not how the saying goes, BUT LET’S JUST PRETEND IT IS.
ANYWHO, why on earth am I raving so much about these cookies?
Let me explain.
It’s FALL. Fall means cinnamon, nutmeg, squash, pumpkin, carrots, warm, comforting, cookies, loafs, cakes, desserts, warm lattes, hot chocolates, big cozy sweaters & nights by the fire, BUT HEY, WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THAT ALL OF THAT CAN STILL BE NUTRITIOUS? (I mean, not the sweaters or the fire, BUT YOU CATCH MY DRIFT). Basically, it’s fall. Carrots are a staple in tons of fall recipes & THIS IS WHY THESE BABIES ARE PERFECT FOR THE MOMENT (& always, let’s be honest).
The fluff on these babes (despite the fact that they contain NO EGGS & just a chia egg) is INSANE.
They’re just the right amount of crispy on the outside & moist & chewy on the inside!
They’re packed with healthy fats from superfoods, like chia seeds, ground flax, tiger nuts, almond butter & naturally sweetened with pure organic maple syrup & applesauce!
They are also packed with protein & fibre & make for a great afternoon snack to hold you over until dinner or even as a morning boost if you’re rushing out & need something to keep you energized until breaky or lunch!
They’re SO FREAKING DELISH.
The main ingredient is CARROTS, DUH… They are carrot cake cookies, after all, right? And y’all know that carrots are GOOD FOR YOU, right? So, I’m not going to go on a massive rant here. PLUS, I’ve spoken about all the benefits in the past, but BRIEFLY:
Full of beta-carotene & fibre! The beta-carotene content of these babies helps in prevention of cancer, stroke & macular degeneration, while their fibre content makes them amazing for DIGESTION & helping eliminate excess LDL cholesterol from the walls of the arteries & blood vessels!
They are also an amazing source of antioxidants, are rich in vitamin A, C, K, B8, folate, potassium, iron, copper & manganese & act as immune system boosters due to their antibacterial & antiseptic abilities!
THEY CONTAIN TIGERNUTS! Read all about the benefits of these babes HERE!
THESE BABES are actually made with a combination of ingredients that pretty much take on the consistency of what flour would usually do for you when making cookies! I’m talking: flaxseed, chia egg, almond butter & arrowroot powder! PAUSE, right?
WHAT ON EARTH IS ARROWROOT POWDER?
I know, I had no idea too until I read about it.
Basically, what it is is a nutritionally dense starch that is more desirable as a thickener than often genetically engineered flour, cornstarch or rice!!
It contains many B vitamins, such as thiamin, niacin & pyridoxine & minerals, such as copper, manganese, iron, magnesium, phosphorus & zinc!
ALSO, although it’s a starch, it actually contains ZERO gluten & is highest in protein compared to other starches & flour.
Some of the benefits it may provide include:
- Balancing the body’s pH!
- Digestion: FIBRE. FIBRE. FIBRE. pushes food through our system efficiently while also allowing nutrients to get absorbed.
- The copper & iron in arrowroot are vital for red blood cell health. They prevent fatigue, weakness & decreased cognitive function! They also help with circulation which helps convey higher levels of oxygenation to organs & other areas, which in turn, provides energy!
- Arrowroot contains MORE PROTEIN than other root veggies & starches! Plant protein, which is one of the most essential nutrients, optimizes healthy growth & development and IS EASIER TO DIGEST!
- Heart-healthy! Due to the high potassium content in arrowroot, you blood vessels & arteries are softened, which can in turn, help prevent heart attacks, high blood pressure & strokes and promote oxygen flow to the brain to stimulate brain health!
- Lowers cholesterol!
- Arrowroot is good for the metabolism! The vitamin B in arrowroot optimizes enzyme function & regulates metabolic processes!
- Promotes healthy weight maintenance! Compared to potatoes & other starches, arrowroot provides fibre & other nutrients, which means there will be less of a chance of between-meal snacking & hunger!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 tbsp. of organic ground chia seeds;
- 1/2 cup of hot water;
- 1/2 cup of creamy almond butter or cashew butter (I used almond butter);
- 1/2 cup of ground flaxseed;
- 1/2 cup of arrowroot powder;
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1/4 cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- The juice of one organic lemon;
- 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon;
- 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg;
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda;
- 1/2 cup of grated carrots (about 1 big carrot);
- 1/4 cup of sliced tiger nuts (or walnuts);
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 c up of raisins.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper!
- In a small bowl, add the ground chia seeds & the hot water. Stir & let sit for about 5-10 minutes, while you measure out the rest of the ingredients (MULTITASKING FTW!)
- Add the almond butter, flax, arrowroot powder, applesauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sea salt & baking soda to a medium mixing bowl. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, stir together all the ingredients together until fully combined & incorporated!
- THEN, add in all the GOOOOD STUFF: Chia egg, carrots, tigernuts/walnuts & optional raisins! Stir again until all this wonderfulness is fully combined & you’ve got a BABE OF A BATTER IN FRONT YOU!
- Using a spoon, scoop the cookies out onto the prepared baking sheets! You can flatten them slightly, if you want, but they will definitely expand during baking, so make sure you leave some space between them on the baking sheets, UNLESS YOU WANT ONE BIG CARROT COOKIE. I mean… it’ll still taste DELISH, but might raise some issues with PORTION CONTROL.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes at 350F, until golden on the edges & bouncy to the touch! Let them cool for about 10-15 minutes, THEN DEVOUR! (But I’m just kidding guys, YOU CAN TOTZ TASTE THEM AS SOON AS THEY’RE FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN – I mean, let’s be honest, were you really gonna wait for my permission?).
- If you find they are a little bouncy/soft when you take ‘em out, don’t worry. They will harden a bit more as they cool! (DON’T BE TEMPTED TO PUT THEM BACK IN THE OVEN – They will get overcooked & won’t have that perfect texture on the inside once they cool. TRUST ME!).