Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Baked Apple Rounds a.k.a. Welcoming Apple Season & Shana Tovah To All My J-Babes & Boos!
In honour of ROSH HASHANAH (a.k.a. the Jewish New Year!), apple season & DELICIOUS HEALTHY BAKED TREATS, this afternoon, I whipped up some CINNAMON COCONUT SUGAR BAKED APPLE ROUNDS & really, all I’ve gotta say is OHMAGOODNESS. These are another example of how sometimes simple is BEST!!
These babes make for the PERFECT snack.
They’re perfect for fall & winter (but really, you’ll want to enjoy them all year round!).
They’re warm, comforting, naturally sweet & baked to perfection!
They’re also super VERSATILE! You can eat them AS IS or use them as toppings for rice cakes smothered in nut butter, homemade jam (recipe HERE) or goat cheese/cream cheese!
So they’re all this GOOD STUFF but they also pack TONS OF NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS. I mean… Apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut sugar. THAT’S IT, THAT’S ALL.
Four ingredients that pack a heck of a lot of health benefits & that make this recipe a PERFECT GO-TO when the sweet tooth craving hits & you just NEEEEEED something sweet but aren’t down for the packaged, processed, refined stuff!
BRIEFLY (I SWEAR! I SWEAR!):
APPLES. APPLES. APPLES!
Antioxidant, flavonoid & dietary fibre rich!
The phytonutrients & antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes & heart disease. They also help strengthen immunity, balance blood sugar levels & improve brain function & bone health!
I mean… AN APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY, right?
CINNAMON. CINNAMON. CINNAMON!
Lowers cholesterol, balances sugar levels!
Adds tons of flavour!
Great source of minerals.
Increases blood circulation.
Helps with nausea & indigestion!
& also boosts brain activity & is heart healthy!
Nutmeg. Nutmeg. Nutmeg.
Digestive & bone health booster!
Good for nervous system health!
May even provide relief from insomnia!
Helps with kidney stones & reduces skin inflammation / irritation!
Coconut sugar. COCO SUGAR. Coconut sugar.
Contains over 16 amino-acids & four different B vitamins.
Amazing source of iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc!
Very low on the GI (Contains inulin, which slows the absorption of glucose by the body – its GI score is 35!!).
Good treatment for anxiety, depression & bipolar mood disorder & also helps with treating high blood pressure!
Contains tons of fatty acids, polyphenols & antioxidants for the support of good health!
ALSO, MOST IMPORTANTLY: Less processed than regular sugar. NATURAL. UNREFINED!
OKAY SEE, I promised it would be brief & it was!
ADMIT YOU LOVE ME.
NOW LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 LARGE apple, SLICED into thin rounds;
- 1 tbsp. of cinnamon;
- 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg;
- 2 tsp. of organic coconut palm sugar;
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Slice your apple into thin slices & place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Prepare the cinnamon, nutmeg & coconut sugar mixture in a small mixing bowl. Toss the ingredients together to combine.
- Once your cinnamon sugar mix is ready, sprinkle it onto the apple slices & mix SAVAGELY so that all the apples are coated (Don’t actually mix THAT SAVAGELY, because then your apple slices will break!).
- Place the apple slices on the parchment-lined baking sheet, trying not to layer them (But if you do a little bit, it’s okay!).
- Bake the slices at 350F for 30 minutes or until the apples are soft & break apart easily!