Vanilla Strawberry & Mango Protein-Packed Smoothie Bowl Topped with Bluebs, Flax & Gluten-Free Muesli a.k.a. Creamy-Luscious-Deliciousness-Oh-&-Did-Somebody-Say-FIBRE?!
I hope you all had a great start to your week! The weather in Montreal is giving me all the feels (NOT TO MENTION, I AM SWEATING, but that’s a different story) these days & I’m sure you munchkins feel the same (& if you’re not from Montreal, I promise to take in some extra rays for you while they last!).
IN THE SPIRIT OF BEAUTIFUL HOT WEATHER, yesterday’s breakfast was a quick & easy FRESH & DELISH smoothie bowl!
Packed with fibre, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, protein, collagen & YES, EVEN VEGGIES, this is the perfect morning boost!
Super nutritious & guaranteed to keep you full all morning!
Guys, the texture on this stuff… INSANE. INSANE. And you know what? Once again, IT’S ALL THANKS TO THE CAULIFLOWER! Would you believe me if I told you that there isn’t even ANY BANANA in the smoothie mix? I SWEAR! I feel like I’m going to be OBSESSED with this whole cauliflower trend, but I mean… at the sight of this, do you even blame me?
Today, I tried psyllium husk for the first time. I bet, like me, you guys are probably thinking “What on earth is she talking about”, right? TRUST ME, I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THIS STUFF WAS EITHER, until I came across it when I was doing research one day…
The benefits I read about had me SOLD.
So, there I was, HEADED TO TAU. Lez be honest, when am I NOT headed to a health food store? I picked some up & then read a bit more about what you could use this stuff for & one of the things that kept coming up was SMOOTHIES & so I did! (I also read that you could use it to make bread, muffins & other baked goods, so stay tuned for some of that coming your way too!).
SO WHAT IS PSYLLIUM HUSK? Basically, it is the PERFECT NATURAL WAY TO STEP UP YOUR FIBRE GAME! We don’t realize it but fibre is VITAL to deliver essential nutrients to the entire body. Most fibre is obtained from whole grains, fruits & veggies. BUT, a lot of us actually don’t manage to consume enough of it on a daily basis & some of us suffer from certain health conditions or concerns that could benefit from a little boost of fibre!
SO: Psyllium husk is an edible (I CERTAINLY HOPE SO) soluble fibre & prebiotic. Once it is consumed, it actually expands,, which in turn promotes easy, healthy elimination & digestion by sweeping toxins out of the body more quickly & effectively.
It’s also great for the heart & regulating cholesterol levels and blood pressure!
Not only is the fibre good for digestion, but it can also help with TONS of medical conditions, anything from cancer to diabetes to heart disease to obesity!
It helps treat acidity & balances pH levels!
It’s great for appetite control & is among the list of medicinal plants that has been shown to significantly decrease body weight!
ANYWHO, all this to say, it’s a great add-in for smoothies, other beverages & baked goods. It has no taste & provides LOADS of benefits that you will SURE AF thank me for later!
So, next time you’re at Tau (& Lord knows I probably send you there a couple times a week), pick some up! Usually, you will find it in the supplement section of most health food stores!
NOW, BACK TO THIS BABE OF A SMOOTHIE BOWL. IT WILL THROW THE CRAZIEST PARTY IN YOUR MOUTH – WAIT, just WAIT!
It’s all things:
Clean & healthy!
So yes, you can still eat healthy on those busy mornings when you’re about to miss your bus or train & just aren’t feeling that massive refined-sugar packed muffin on-the-go! MAKE YOUR SMOOTHIE BOWL IN 5, DEVOUR IT & LEAVE YOUR HOUSE HAPPY, SATISFIED, NOT HANGRY & WITH A TUMMY FULL OF GOOD WHOLESOME FOODS!
The best part about smoothie bowls is the toppings! YOU CAN LITERALLY HAVE A FREAKING FIELD DAY WITH IT. No joke. This one includes fresh wild bluebs, banana slices, flaxseed (for added fibre, nutrients & protein!), cocoa powder, cinnamon & gluten-free muesli & WOWOWOWOWOW.
But seriously, the possibilities for toppings are endless & I could LITERALLY go on for days – I’m talking coconut flakes, hemp, chia or pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, berries, kiwis, nut butters, pecans, slivered almonds, cashews, maple flakes, coconut sugar & dark chocolate chunks or chips! ALL THIS TO SAY – LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD & have fun with it!
NOW, let me tell you how I had fun with this one!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of steamed then frozen cauliflower;
- 3/4 – 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I used Califia Farms);
- I suggest starting out with 3/4 cup & then adding 1/4 more if you find that your smoothie mix is too thick because the goal with this smoothie bowl is not for it to become as thin & liquid-y as a smoothie would. You want it to be remain thick, smooth, creamy & a little bit chunky!
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla vegan sprouted protein (I used Iron Vegan);
- 1/2 scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (USE MY AFFILIATE LINK HERE);
- 1 tsp. of psyllium husk (I used Clef des Champs Bio);
- 4 organic frozen strawberries;
- 4 chunks of frozen mango;
- Cinnamon drizzle;
- TOPPINGS: Fresh wild blueberries, a few banana slices, Bob’s Red Mill ground flaxseed, more cinnamon, a dash of Organic Traditions cocoa powder & GoGo Quinoa gluten-free muësli!
HOW IS THAT FOR A NUTRIENT-DENSE, SATISFYING, DELICIOUS PLANT-BASED BREAKY BOWL (& yes, it’s ready in like 5 MINUTES!!)
NOW, for the HOW-TO?
- BLEND until smooth, thick & creamy consistency is obtained! No worries if it’s still a little bit chunky! Personally, I actually prefer it that way! Remember that the “smoothie” portion of the recipe is acting as your base, so you don’t want it to be too liquid-y!
- If you find it’s too thick, you can always add in 1/4 cup more of almond milk!
- If you find it’s too thin/liquid, you can add in more cauliflower, protein, collagen or frozen fruit!
- Top the smoothie bowl with the blueberries, bananas, flax, cinnamon, cocoa powder & muesli! You can totally have fun with the toppings & let your imagination run wild! Just make sure to throw on some healthy fats, fruit & some spices/powders for added flavour!