This afternoon, I got home from my workout (which was super intense!) & I really felt like I needed a GOOD ENERGY BOOST. I could’ve probably put together a lunch sitch that would’ve given me that necessary fuel, BUT I GOTTA ADMIT, I WAS A LITTLE BIT LAZY. Forgive me, it’s SUNDAY (& I did an early morning workout), OKAY?
AND THEN, I remembered that:
1) Friday night, I steamed cauliflower & froze it FOR A DAMN GOOD REASON.
2) I promised you munchkins that this weekend, I would whip up a smoothie with none other than CAULIFLOWER to test out whether this whole “cauliflower-in-your-smoothie” thing that everyone’s been up to is WORTH ALL THE HYPE!
- I had the cauliflower READY & FROZEN &
- I like to keep my promises &
- I was lazy (& throwing all my ingredients in the blender & pressing a button & having lunch ready STAT was the perfect scenario at that exact moment) &
- I WAS JUST DOWN FOR A DELISH SMOOTHIE!
I HOPPED ON THE CAULI BANDWAGON!
BOY AM I GLAD THAT I DID!
Basically, after being weirded out by it for quite some time (I mean, DO YOU BLAME ME?), I finally understand what the whole cauliflower-in-your-smoothie craze is all about.
FIRST, they started with the cauliflower pizza, the cauliflower rice, cauliflower alfredo sauce, cauliflower “steak’ / “buffalo wings”, cauliflower mash & NOW… EVERYONE’S ALL ABOUT THE CAULIFLOWER SMOOTHIE!
And you know what?
It’s literally the SMARTEST & most DELISH way to drink your veggies (without even realizing!).
It makes the texture SO CREAMY. SO ON POINT. & SO THICK, all while providing a boost of vitamin C, magnesium, B6, potassium & fibre!
OH & it adds the heft to your smoothie WITHOUT adding much SUGAR OR CARBS!
Since it has such a neutral flavour, it basically takes on the flavours of whatever you are combining it with, all while adding that extra creamy, smooth bulk to your smoothie. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, SERIOUSLY!
ALSO, since cauliflower is FULL OF FIBRE, it may actually help keep you fuller & satisfied longer! I find that a smoothie that contains the RIGHT balance of ingredients ALREADY DOES THAT, so imagine HOW MUCH BETTER it will be WITH THE ADDED CAULI!
TRUST ME when I say you can get ALL OF THAT without even detecting that the cauli is there!, HENCE, THE “UNDERCOVER-NESS”!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of STEAMED OR BOILED, then FROZEN cauliflower florets!
- It’s important to STEAM the cauliflower first because it makes it easier on the body to digest – Keep in mind that cauliflower is a cruciferous veggie & when it’s not pre-steamed, it may cause the same bloating/gas that raw cruciferous veggies are so freaking good at producing LOL, TMI. WHATEVER!).
- 1/2 scoop of My Iron Vegan Vegan Vanilla Sprouted Protein (Get it HERE);
- 1/2 scoop of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (Get it HERE using my affiliate link)!
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I used Califia Farms)!
- LOADS of fresh spinach!
- 4-5 banana slices or 1/2 a medium banana!
- A handful of organic frozen blackberries!
- 3-5 organic frozen strawberries!
- 1/2 tbsp. of creamy almond butter (or peanut butter or other nut butter)
- Fresh wild blueberries & more cinnamon for topping (or granola, cereal, muesli, hemp/flax/chia/pumpkin seeds!)
At this point, I don’t think I need to tell you munchkins how to make a smoothie. I mean, I just went on a rant a few minutes ago about my laziness. BUT, SINCE THIS IS A FOOD BLOG AFTER ALL…
- BASICALLY, JUST SHOVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS INTO YOUR BLENDER & BLEND AWAY until that smooth, thick, rich, creamy, indulgent (& every synonym in the books for those words) is obtained!
- Add more almond milk if you want a thinner smoothie!
- Add more protein, collagen, almond butter or cauliflower for a creamier, thicker smoothie!
- TOP with blueberries & cinnamon (or other fruit of choice, or granola/cereal/muesli or hemp/flax/chia/pumpkin seeds OR COMBINE ALL THIS WONDERFULNESS!)
- & MAKE ANOTHER ONE TOMORROW!