Yesterday, I baked up some Pecan Walnut Cinnamon Muffins!
So basically, I WAS CRAVING MUFFINS!
BUT SINCE I’M KINDA PICKY… I wanted something moist & crumbly & warm & delicious but I ALSO wanted them to be made with wholesome good-for-you ingredients & wait for it, I ALSO WANTED THEM TO BE VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE & REFINED SUGAR-FREE!
AND GUESS WHAT?
They’re warm, cozy, healthy, moist, yet crumbly, satisfying, vegan & gluten-free!
What I absolutely adore about them is that they aren’t overly sweet & the texture is hearty without being too dense or heavy! That perfect texture comes from the combination of gluten-free rolled oats, pecans & walnuts!
YES, you read right, these babes are also flourless!
THE CINNAMON & PECANS & WALNUTS WORK SO WELL TOGETHER! They give the illusion of MORE sweetness without needing to overdo it on the sugar! #winning.
The only sweetener I used? ORGANIC COCONUT SUGAR! & I didn’t even use that much of it! It has a rich & toasty flavour and adds just the right amount of sweet! (Coco sugar is lower on the glycemic index than other type son sugar & therefore won’t cause sugar highs & lows!).
LADIES & GENTS, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY Vegan, Gluten-Free & Refined Sugar-Free Crumbly But Chewy Cinnamon Pecan Walnut Muffins a.k.a. Crumbly-Chewy-Perfection-Oh-&-Netflix-&-Chill-Just-Got-THAT-Much-Better!
ANYWHO, you guys WILL love these & they are coming to you at the perfect time – just as FALL is about to hit us! Imagine cuddling up to Netflix with a batch of these babes & some frothy almond milk lattes! I WILL MOST CERTAINLY TAKE THAT. you?
BUT BEFORE YOU CAN TAKE THAT & MAKE THESE BABIES YOURS, let’s talk about the benefits of pecans & walnuts!
PECANS. PECANS. PECANS.
Help maintain high energy: Healthy fats, like those found in pecans impact the GREHLIN hormone, which is a vital part of weight maintenance. High levels of grehlin in the brain are associated with excessive stress & a constant feeling of the “munchies!”
Pecans contain 1/2 the daily required amount of manganese, which helps with weight maintenance & loads of copper, which is essential in more than 50 different metabolic enzyme reactions necessary for maintenance of a fast metabolism & the body’s source of energy!
Pecans are FULL OF ANTIOXIDANTS! As you guys know, oxidative stress & damage caused to the body by environmental & dietary issues can lead to increased risk of developing certain cancers & heart disease. SO, LOAD UP ON PECANS FOR AN ANTIOXIDANT BOOST & HEART-HEALTHY BENEFITS!
Pecans reduce inflammation. Chronic inflammation is at the root of most diseases as it leads to cell mutation & stress on various bodily systems.
Good for the bones! (Due to its manganese, copper & zinc content!).
Help maintain brain function, due to their thiamine, manganese & copper content!
WALNUTS. WALNUTS. WALNUTS.
Walnut boast many cancer-fighting properties!
Due to certain amino-acids present in walnuts, they offer many benefits to people with heart disease or those who have increased risk for heart disease!
Walnuts also contain plant-based omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid, which is anti-inflammatory, supports heart-health & healthy cholesterol levels!
ANTIOXIDANTS! Yes, more of them! And get this? They contain antioxidants that are SO powerful & unique that they are available in only a few commonly eaten foods!
Walnuts are BRAIN-HEALTHY! They contain vitamin A, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats & antioxidants!
OKAY, now that we’ve got all that down-packed & you’ve learned a thing or two, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR 6 MEDIUM MUFFINS! Double your batches if you want a full BAKER’S DOZEN!
- 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed (or chia seeds);
- 3 tbsp. of water;
- The combination of the flax/chia with the water creates a flax egg, which is basically a 100% natural vegan egg substitute!
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats;
- 3/4 cup of organic pecans;
- 1/4 cup of organic walnuts;
- Feel free to do 1 cup of pecans or walnuts, if you prefer! (I just didn’t have enough pecans on hand, so I decided to mix in some walnuts!);
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut sugar;
- 1 tsp. cinnamon;
- 3/4 tsp. of non-GMO baking soda;
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt;
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk (You can totally sub coconut, dairy, cashew or macadamia nut milk);
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (The combination of the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar creates a vegan version of “buttermilk!);
- 1/2 tbsp. of organic cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, MELTED;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat the oven to 375F & line a muffin tin with parchment liners (or use a non-stick muffin tin – That’s what I did & I had no issue getting the muffins out once they cooled off. This is because the batter contains coconut oil, but to be safe, you can also grease your muffin tins with some coconut oil cooking spray!);
- Make the FLAX EGG, by combining the flax seeds & water in a small bowl & let sit for about 5 minutes!
- Put the oats & pecans/walnuts in your blender or food processor & pulse until a fine & powdery consistency is obtained.
- Add the oat & nut mixture into a bowl & throw in all the other ingredients! Once your flax egg is set, add it into the mix! Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until fully combined & incorporated.
- Let the batter sit for about 10 minutes!
- NOW, add the batter to your parchment liners/muffin tin & bake the babes at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until set & cooked through! (DO THE TOOTHPICK TEST – It never fails. EVER!).
- Allow to cool (JK, IMPOSSIBLE!) & remove from the tin! Store in an airtight container!