Hope you’re all having a good day!
It’s Wednesday & you know what that means? You made it halfway through the week & it’s almost the FREAKIN’ weekend! Best feeling!
Why not celebrate with some delish roasted butternut squash? (Which btw, is SO SIMPLE to make!).
PLUS, IT’S SEPTEMBER (MY FAVE MONTH OF THE YEAR, BTW) & this can only mean one thing (well, many things), ONE OF WHICH… FALL IS UPON US! So let’s cook for the occasion, why don’t we?
Okay, so for those of you who don’t know, butternut squash is LEGIT my ALL-TIME FAVE STARCHY VEGGIE! Not only is it deliciously naturally sweet, but it’s also:
Packed with fibre, making it super heart-healthy!
Loaded with potassium, which is crucial for bone health! (A 1-cup serving will actually provide you with more potassium than that found in a banana!)
Full of vitamin B6, which is essential for the proper functioning of the nervous & immune system!
High in vitamin A & magnesium!
Packed with antioxidants!
I literally throw this stuff on everything guys! From salads to bowls to casseroles & she’s also simply F-AMAZING on her own! It’s been a while since I’ve gotten around to making this & let’s just say, I’VE BEEN HAVING BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITHDRAWAL, no shame, okay?
OHHH!!! & GET THIS: Once roasted, you can also boil these babies for 10-15 minutes & then mash the EFFFFF out of them & just like that, BUTTERNUT SQUASH MASH is born & your life mission has just been fulfilled (I MEAN… WHAT’S BETTER THAN CHEESY MASH?) Seriously guys, this is probably one of the most versatile veggies ever! You can really do SO MUCH with it!
This recipe is my take on CHEESY BUTTERNUT SQUASH, but without the cheese!
So yes, you read right:
IT’S COMPLETELY VEGAN, but you would never know.
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s “Cheesy” Roasted Vegan Butternut Squash With Garlic & Parsley a.k.a. You-Won’t-Believe-It’s-Not-Cheese-Oh-&-When-Fall-Is-Upon-Us-We-Cook-For-The-Occasion!
For those of you who haven’t yet tried NUTRITIONAL YEAST & don’t get what the hype is all about… YOU JUST GOTTA TRY IT TO BELIEVE IT. I swear guys, I too was weirded out by it at first, I mean, lez be honest, it’s basically a powder that claims to be full of nutrients & taste like cheese… BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? The claims… THEY CANNOT BE MORE TRUE!!
It’s FULL of vitamin B12, which a lot of us are lacking because a very common source of this vitamin is found in red meat, which is a food that I feel a lot of people are slowly eliminating or reducing from their diets (GOOD ON YOU! I APPROVE!).
It’s vegan, gluten-free, NUTTY, DELICIOUS, PACKED WITH PROTEIN, “CHEESY” AF & is basically Vegan Parmesan!
What’s great about it TOO is how versatile it is – You can use it in marinades, vinaigrettes, sauces, egg scrambles, frittatas, crackers, grilled veggies & as a salad or pasta topper, in the same way you would use Parmesan or Romano cheese!
ANYWHO, today, we are using it to make this CHEESY AF SAVOURY BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHEESY AF.
GET READY FOR ALL THINGS ROASTED, CRISPY, CRUNCHY, but just the right amount of chewy & mushy on the inside! UGH, I CAN’T EVEN. SO FREAKING DELISH!
SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeds removed & cubed (WOAH, I’m making you guys work so hard… BUT IT’S WORTH IT. I PROMISE!);
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper;
- Sea salt for seasoning;
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1 tbsp. of raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped;
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (If you want it to be a bit sweeter!).
YES, my loves! THAT IS ALL! I wasn’t lying when I said this was simple!!!
Now, to make these cubes of wonderfulness! HERE’S WHAT YOU GOTTA DO MY LOVES (Please don’t tell me I’m asking for too much, seriously, SO EFFING EASY! You’re gonna love me forever!)
- Preheat your oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel, halve, remove the seeds & cut your butternut squash into cubes (Honestly guys, no matter how many times I roast butternut squash & as you can see, I do it A LOT. MAYBE TOO MUCH, I’m always scared to cut my hand off! Like, this stuff is SO HARD TO HANDLE, but it’s worth it! Just be careful, my loves & please don’t call me with a chopped off hand. Call 911. KTHX!).
- Add your butternut cubes to a mixing bowl & add in all the ingredients!
- Toss all this beautiful-wonderfulness together & combine, until all your butternuts are EVENLY coated (Guys, please, your butternuts are so good to you. They’re just so cute. Treat them equally. Don’t make them jelly of each other!).
- Place your butternuts on the lined baking sheet (DO NOT LAYER THEM). If you must use two baking sheets so you have room to separate them or else they won’t roast properly (AND nobody likes butternut squash when it’s not roasted THE RIGHT WAY, Kay?).
- Bake the babes for 35-40 minutes, flipping once at halfway mark! THIS IS CRUCIAL. DO NOT FORGET TO FLIP! Don’t you want these babes to roast evenly on both sides? Well, then LISTEN TO ME!
- Once baked, allow the babies to cool on the baking sheet(s) & then store in an airtight container in your fridge (BUT AS ALWAYS, I promise. No, I guarantee that once baked, you will be standing over your oven eating directly off the baking sheet & you will not have much to store in that airtight container… SORRY NOT SORRY. Next time babes, double your batch!!!
- P.S. If you are able to make these babes last long enough for you to have leftovers, they will keep well in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container for a week!