Gluten-Free & Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea FALAFEL Muffin Cups a.k.a. Taking-You-Back-To-My-Roots-Oh-&-Who-Doesn’t-Just-Love-Falafel?-Let’s-Be-Real-Here!
HERE TO ROCK YOUR WORLD WITH ESSENTIALLY… NONE OTHER THAN… FALAFEL! I mean, who doesn’t like falafel? C’mon now. I’m taking you back to my roots & even if these ain’t your roots, YOU WILL SIMPLY FALL IN LOVE WITH THESE!
You have no idea what’s about to hit you, my loves! GET READY FOR ‘DIS.
You’ll want to be prepared for the party these babes will throw in your mouth, LITERALLY.
As you know, if you follow me on Instagram (& you should!), these little gluten-free & vegan sun-dried tomato chickpea FALAFEL muffin cups came about in an attempt to create chickpea burgers. Those didn’t quite turn out as planned. Let’s just say that grilling them on my countertop grill was NOT the best idea. Oh well. I HAD TO IMPROVISE! & Improvise, I did!
Basically, in a nutshell, the base of these babies is chickpeas, white beans & they’re infused with sun-dried tomatoes for a savoury, sweet tomato flavour, balanced with fresh garlic, fresh parsley, turmeric, cumin & whopping tablespoon of organic sesame tahini!
SPEAKING OF TAHINI: Did you guys know it’s actually REALLY good for you? It packs tons of health benefits that you most certainly wouldn’t get from other spreads, with similar consistency, such as mayo… SO DITCH THE MAYO & OPT FOR TAHINI. How come? LET ME EXPLAIN. I’ll be brief, I swear! I know… you are salivating at the thought of this recipe. WE’RE ALMOST THERE, PROMISE!
KAY, SO WHY TAHINI?
It’s rich in tons of different minerals, some of which include phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium & iron (BUH-BYE ANEMIA!)
Amazing for liver detoxification!
ONE OF THE BEST SOURCES OF CALCIUM THAT EXISTS!
Super-duper high in vitamin E & loads of B vitamins!
It helps promote HEALTHY CELL GROWTH!
AMAZING FOR MAINTENANCE OF HEALTHY SKIN & MUSCLE TONE! (This is because it’s a good source of amino acids (the building blocks for protein), vitamin E, B vitamins, trace minerals & fatty acids that all contribute to SKIN CELL REJUVENATION & PREVENTING EARLY SGINS OF AGING!). Down, you?
OKAY, THIS NEXT ONE IS PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME! It has 20% complete protein & this my loves makes it a higher protein source than most nuts.
EASILY DIGESTIBLE BY OUR BODS, because it contains high alkaline mineral content, which is also great for weight loss, BTW! (Even though that should NOT be the ultimate goal. It’s all about healthy lifestyle choices & changes!)
GREAT SOURCE OF UNSATURATED (A.K.A. HEALTHY) FATS!
ALL THIS TO SAY:
THESE MUNCHKINS ARE LEGIT PLANT-BASED PROTEIN AT ITS FINEST!!
They’re all things:
Just the right amount of crumbly!
Satisfying & filling!
Packed with protein, fibre & healthy fats!
They make for a great addition to bowls, salads, as is or in a scrumptious toasted gluten-free bun!
As I mentioned earlier, THESE ARE BASICALLY FALAFEL, lez be honest. So whether you’re living a gluten-free or vegan lifestyle & even if you ain’t, THESE BABES ARE SURE TO PLEASE YOU! & If they don’t? You’re just too picky! (I’m not judging you. Just saying!!).
ANYWHO, BE ADVENTUROUS & GIVE THESE MUNCHKINS A TRY.
YOU WON’T REGRET IT!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 12-cup muffin tin or 2 6-cup muffin tins;
- 1 19-fl. oz. can of organic chick peas (low-sodium, if possible!);
- 1 19-fl. oz. can of any kind of white beans (white kidney, cannellini beans, Great Northern);
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED (If you want your burgers to be a little sweeter, you can replace the parsley with basil!);
- 2 small white or yellow onions, CHOPPED (or one big one!);
- 6 cloves of garlic;
- 1/2 cup of organic sun-dried tomatoes, CHOPPED;
- 2 1/2 tbsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of ground turmeric;
- 3/4 tsp. of black pepper;
- Himalayan pink salt or sea salt for seasoning;
- 1 tbsp. of organic fair-trade sesame tahini;
- Coconut oil (OR grape seed or avocado oil) for greasing the muffin tins!
- OPTIONAL: For serving: Whole-grain or gluten-free buns, fresh parsley or basil, diced red onion, BBQ sauce, pesto, goat cheese or other spreadable cheese! HAVE FUN WITH IT, MY LOVES!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Rinse & drain your beans in a strainer. Once drained, pat them dry with a clean dish cloth or a paper towel. You really want them to retain as least moisture as possible because that will make your burgers watery & they will have a harder time sticking together!
- Add all your ingredients to your food processor, including the rinsed & dried beans. Pulse the F out of ’em until they are fully combined & incorporated & you’ve got a beautifully smooth, luscious & creamy BURGER BATTER OR PASTE, or whatever you wanna call it! This may take up to 2-3 minutes to fully incorporate all the spices & herbs!
- You will most probably have to scrape down the sides at least once!
- You may also want to add a bit more tahini or water if the mixture looks too crumbly or dry! YOU BE THE JUDGE, MY LOVES!
- Once you’ve got your burger batter, TASTE TEST! Adjust the spices/salt/herbs as needed!
- Once you’re SATISFIED AF with the taste, cover & set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes! This will allow the flavours to blend together more & the texture to become more firm (This will make rolling the babes easier for you, not to mention, WAY LESS MESSY!);
- When you’re ready to make the babes, remove the batter from the fridge. Grease your muffin tins with the coconut oil or avocado oil cooking spray! NOW, divide your batter evenly amongst the muffin tins using your hands! (YESSSS. GET DOWN AND DIRTY WITH IT!).
- If you find that the burgers are having a hard time holding together, the mixture may need to be blended again, with a bit more tahini!
- Once you’ve packed those muffin tins, BAKE THE BABES for 16-18 minutes, checking on them at halfway mark! Adjust time as needed if you find they are browning too quickly or aren’t cooking quickly enough!
This is them at halfway mark:
- Once ready, remove from the oven & let cool in the muffin tins for 15-20 minutes (BUT OBVIOUSLY, TASTE THEM BEFORE… I MEAN, you will not be able to resist, even if you tried, even if you wanted to… SORRY NOT SORRY!).
- Once cooled, remove the babes from the tins & serve immediately or store in airtight containers & refrigerate!
- You can also freeze these if you decide to double or triple your batch & want to have them on-hand for those nights where you just aren’t feeling the “making dins” vibes – If you freeze them, lay them on a plate or baking sheet & freeze. Once they’ve firmed up, you can transfer them to a container & freeze them for up to one month! If you do: Always make sure to let them thaw before baking, grilling them or cooking them on your stovetop!
- Either on their own with salsa, more tahini, hummus, Dijon mustard, pesto, BBQ sauce & other desired toppings OR in a bun!
- You can also serve these babes over greens, in pita, in bowls or crumble them up into salads!