My Go-To Guide For Roasting & Sautéing Veggies From Start To Plate To Devour a.k.a. Making Your Meals (& Life) Easier One Day At A Time!
Happy MONDAY FUNDAY (Kidding, Mondays are DEFS NOT fun days, let’s be honest).
BUT, MONDAYS CAN BE LAZY DAYS (which is like half the fun, right?) if you spend some of SUNDAY FUNDAY in the kitch prepping roasted or sautéed (or both) veggies for the week!
HECK, EVERY DAY (& NOT ONLY MONDAY) CAN BE A LAZY DAY. BUT, make a lot of veggies or you’ll find yourself with NADA left mid-week! YEP, that’s how good this simple, easy & quick recipe is!
TRUST ME. So stock up. Load up. Roast up. Sauté up & SERVE YOURSELVES SECONDS & THIRDS!
As you guys know, ever since I started working out a lot, I’ve become REALLY BIG ON MEAL-PREPPING! Not gonna lie, I get home from the gym sometimes & I’m freaking STARVING. Instead of devouring half my pantry or fridge, because I meal prep, I’m tots able to put together a nutritious post-workout lunch packed with EVERYTHING I NEED (protein, healthy fats, good-for-you carbs & LOADS OF VEGGIES) in legit 5 minutes. I mean, TELL ME THAT ISN’T AMAZING, YOUR DREAM COME TRUE & BYE.
ANYWHO, I feel like we’re all always looking for good side dishes to have with our protein, whether it be fish, eggs, seafood, meat, poultry, legumes, tempeh or tofu! Sometimes, we make rice. Other times, we make quinoa. Sometimes, we even make french fries (IT’S OKAY – YOU CAN INDULGE SOMETIMES! GIVE OUR BODY WHAT IT WANTS, IN MODERATION, of course).
BUT WHAT ABOUT VEGGIES?
Statistics actually show that most of us don’t eat enough veggies on a daily basis, SO LET THIS POST BE WHAT MOTIVATES YOU TO MAKE THAT CHANGE, okay?
Yes, I know, I’m aggressive BUT THAT’S BECAUSE I AM PASSIONATE about all of this & I want you munchkins to start making healthier choices, whenever possible!
ALL THIS TO SAY: In the spirit of eating MORE VEGGIES, I’m about to give you munchkins the run down on my go-to guide for roasting & sautéing veggies from start to plate to devour!!!
Roasting & sautéing are my fave ways to cook veggies! Of course, you can also choose to BBQ them or deep-fry them, BUT THAT AIN’T MY JAM. If you do choose to do it another way other than roasting & /or sautéing, you can still season them the same way & then proceed AS YOU WISH!
It’s super, quick, simple & easy & depending on what veggies you decide to use & how long they take to cook, these babies can be yours in as little as 7 MINUTES! (DON’T HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE – Some of them take longer to cook than others but I promise the wait is WELL WORTH IT! The smell in your kitch will justify it every little bit. I PROMISE!).
Follow my instructions & your veggies will ALWAYS be perfectly cooked & just the right amount of soft & cooked through, all while being PERFECTLY CRISPY & CRUNCHY!
MY GO-TO VEGGIES FOR ROASTING & SAUTÉING ARE:
Zucchini, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, Brussels, green beans, carrots, potato, beets, sweet potato, butternut squash, spinach, arugula, kale!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Veggies of your choice (Washed, rinsed, drained & peeled/cubed/sliced/chopped – HOWEVER YOU WANT ‘EM, MY LOVES!);
- 2 tbsp. to 1/4 cup of organic balsamic vinegar (Depending on the quantity of your veggies) OR 2 tbsp. of coconut aminos (I use the ones by Naked Coconuts). You can also change up the proportions & combine the balsamic vinegar & liquid aminos!
- The juice of 1 organic lemon (You can omit this if you don’t like citrus & replace it with 1 tbsp. of coconut or avocado oil!);
- 1-2 tbsp. of raw organic apple cider vinegar (ALWAYS: “From the mother”. Read my full post about all the benefits of apple cider vinegar HERE);
- OPTIONAL: For sweeter & more caramelized veggies, 1 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup or 2 tsp. of raw organic honey;
- THE BEST PART… A VARIATION OR COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING SPICES: Garlic powder, smoked paprika, chilli or chipotle powder, minced onion, turmeric, cumin, any & all dried herbs, coarsely ground black pepper &/or Himalayan pink salt!
- Coconut oil cooking spray (or avocado oil)!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- If you are ROASTING:
- Preheat the oven to 400F & line however many baking sheets you need based on your quantity of veggies with parchment paper!
- Season the veggies in a large mixing bowl first & TOSS THE F OUT OF ‘EM to coat them in the seasoning/spices!
- ROAST FOR:
- 7-10 MINUTES IF: Zucchini, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, Brussels, green beans!
- 30 MINUTES (& flip halfway) IF: Carrots!
- 45-60 MINUTES (& flip halfway) IF: Potato, beets, sweet potato, butternut squash or other starchy veggie!
- Allow the veggies to cool on the baking sheet & then DEVOUR!
- ROAST FOR:
- If you are SAUTÉING:
- Season & spice the veggies directly in the skillet!
- Heat a skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat & spray with coconut or avocado oil!
- Once heated, add your veggies to the skillet, season & spice ‘em!
- MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERCROWD YOUR SKILLET – If the veggies are piled on top of each other, the steam from the lower veggies may become trapped trapped. The result can be steamed veggies rather than sautéed ones! All this to say: USE A BIG ENOUGH SKILLET or if you don’t have one and you have too many veggies to fit in your pan without overcrowding them, cook them in 2 or more batches!
- Toss them to coat in the seasoning & sauté, tossing & stirring continuously, until BROWNED, FRAGRANT, CARAMELIZED, COOKED THROUGH, BUT STILL CRUNCHY!
- SAUTÉ FOR:
- 5 MINUTES IF: Asparagus, spinach, arugula, kale, broccoli, carrots, corn, eggplant, green beans, mushrooms, peas & spinach!
- 10-15 MINUTES IF: Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, zucchini!
- 15 MINUTES IF: Beets, potatoes!
AND FOR SOME TEASES!!!!