Vegan, Gluten-Free, Naturally Sweet White Bean Scrumptiously Crumbly & Chewy Protein Balls a.k.a. Legit-Cookie-Dough-But-Without-All-The-Bad-Stuff!
HAPPY SATURYAY! I wish you all a beautiful night & weekend!
As you all know, because I’ve ranted about it like two million times, I always like to spend some time on the weekend cooking & baking some snacks, roasted veggies & easy meal prep solutions for the rest of the week! One of the things I ALWAYS find myself going back to is some sort of PROTEIN/ENERGY BALL!
They really make for a great post-workout snack or a quick bite when you’re on the go & having a busy day!
They pack the perfect balance of healthy fats, protein, natural sweetness & carbs!
THEY ARE DELICIOUS! I mean, who doesn’t enjoy biting into a scrumptious little bite of wonderfulness? LEZ BE HONEST HERE.
OKAY, guys. I cannot breathe. These balls are LITERALLY COOKIE DOUGH (but also pack a ton of protein & fibre, NO REFINED SUGARS, NO GLUTEN, NO EGGS & NO DAIRY!). THIS MEANS THEY ARE VEGAN, just btw!
These babes will KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF, no joke. & If you’re not wearing socks, THEY’LL HAVE YOU FALL IN LOVE AT FIRST BITE (& even if you are wearing socks, THEY’LL DO THAT TO YOU TOO, trust me). ALL THIS TO SAY: YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY-POSITIVELY-MOST-CERTAINLY ADORE THEM! <3
IN A NUTSHELL, THESE BABES ARE A TESTAMENT TO MY OBSESSION WITH ALL THINGS, EVERYTHING, ALL OVER THE PLACE, COOKIE DOUGH!
AND BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT THEY ARE A HECK OF A TESTAMENT!
Basically, this recipe was born as a result of my need for protein-packed snacks that:
- aren’t full of sugar!
- will keep me satisfied & hold me over until my next meal!
- are a great post-workout bite!
- DON’T TASTE LIKE CARDBOARD!
They have the most perfectly soft, scrumptious texture, just the right amount of sweetness & healthy ingredients you can feel F-AMAZING & certainly not guilty, about devouring!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Vegan, Gluten-Free, Naturally Sweet White Bean Scrumptiously Crumbly & Chewy Protein Balls a.k.a. Legit-Cookie-Dough-But-Without-All-The-Bad-Stuff!
The base of these balls is GREAT NORTHERN BEANS, which have a similar texture & consistency to chickpeas, BUT GUESS WHAT? NOBODY WILL EVEN KNOW!
The rest of the ingredients?
Vegan vanilla sprouted protein powder.
Pure organic maple syrup!
Can you tell I’m a vanilla girl at heart?
<3 <3 <3 <3
OH & BTW: Feel free to throw in chocolate chips if you want to give them an even MORE cookie dough vibe!
OK, so before we get uno the nitty-gritty, LET’S DISCUSS THE BENEFITS OF GREAT NORTHERN BEANS!
FILLED with FIBRE! A 1-cup serving of the beans will give you 12g of fibre! This makes these babes great for maintaining digestion, easing bloating &/or abdominal discomfort & reducing the risk of heart disease , high blood cholesterol & diabetes!
PACKED with PROTEIN, which helps support healthy muscles, skin & other organs, aids in bodily growth & repair & maintains body fluids!
FILLED with IRON, which is needed to transport oxygen from your lungs to your cells & will keep you strong & energized!
PACKED with FOLATE, a water-soluble B vitamin that plays a role in protein metabolism, cell division & preventing anemia!
FILLED with POTASSIUM, which is an electrolyte & mineral that helps in energy metabolism by triggering the needed enzymes & is required for muscles of all types to contract appropriately. If you are deficient in potassium, you may be at increased risk for osteoporosis, kidney stones, stroke or high blood pressure!
Nutrition-wise, they’re also low-fat & cholesterol-free!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 15-oz. can of Great Northern beans (or chickpeas or any other beans with similar consistency/texture), DRAINED & RINSED;
- 1/3 cup of sprouted vegan vanilla protein powder (I use the one by Iron Vegan);
- 1/4 cup of creamy almond butter (or sub any other nut butter OR replace with sunbutter for nut-free option!);
- 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup;
- 2 tbsp. of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1/2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1/4 tsp. of Himalayan pink salt;
- 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon;
- OPTIONAL: Vegan chocolate chips!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Add all your ingredients to the bowl of your food processor & pulse to combine until they’re all combined, mixed together & smooth. BASICALLY, UNTIL IT LOOKS LIKE SCRUMPTIOUS & SOFT COOKIE DOUGH!
- You will definitely have to stop to scrape the sides at least once!
- OPTIONAL: Once the dough is ready, throw in some chocolate chips! If you do, use a wooden spoon or spatula to incorporate them into the rest of the dough, or pulse a few times, making sure not to pulse too much or too high that the chips become too crumbly!
- Once the dough is ready, roll it into 10-15 balls, depending how big you want ‘em! Place each ball onto a plate lined with wax paper!
- THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN THIS RECIPE – EAT THE LEFTOVER BATTER STRAIGHT OUT THE BOWL OF YOUR FOOD PROCESSOR. OBVS. OH & DON’T FORGET TO LICK THE SPATULA CLEAN. #sorrynotsorry!
- Refrigerate the babes overnight so they can firm up or freeze ‘em if you want them to harden even more!
- Store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer!