Mixed Berry Vanilla Almond Acaï Power Bowl Topped with Strawberries, Banana, Hemp Hearts & Pumpkin Cinnamon Granola a.k.a. Superfood-Beauty-Berry-Bowl-That-Packs-A-Nutritional-Punch-For-Days!
Hi my loves!!
HAPPY SUNDAY FUNDAY!
This morning, I got home from the gym with my sissy & we decided to make some ACAI BOWLS! We had a super intense full body workout & we weren’t quite in the mood for a smoothie (WE WANTED TO DEVOUR SOMETHING, ya feel?) & it was too early for lunch. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS, really. And so, we decided to whip up THIS BABE!
WOW. JUST WOW!
I’m sure you have all heard of this concept & some of you may have tried it out, others maybe not. BUT IF I CAN TELL YOU ONE THING, it’s that if you haven’t? YOU MUST!!! I was so amazed at how quickly & easily it came together. I feel like often, I’ll see photos of them as I scroll through Instagram & I always think it’s so complicated to make, but take it from me (someone who has quite a few complicated recipes up her sleeve), it’s really SIMPLE. Like, SIMPLE AF!
ANYWHO, before we get into this bowl precisely & before you can make her YOURS, I Just want to talk to you munchkins about what acai berries are & what kind of health benefits they can offer you.
EATING FOR BENEFITS, FTW! Right?
Acai berries are fruits (& ALSO SUPERFOODS) of the acai palm trees, grown in Brazil’s Amazon rain forest. They pack a nutrient punch with a whole host of antioxidants, amino acids & essential fatty acids. The Brazilians actually refer to it as the BEAUTY BERRY! It really is the embodiment of doing the body good from the inside out & eating for BENEFITS!! It helps increase energy levels, boost immune system, improve metabolic function & is great for your hair & skin!
But of course, BECAUSE IT’S ME & BECAUSE I LOVE TO READ & DO RESEARCH ABOUT THE FOODS I EAT (& then share that knowledge with you, OBVS), let’s get into a little more deets about the benefits of acaï berries!
IT’S THAT TIME… WAIT FOR IT… OKAY… NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH!
They’re packed with DIETARY FIBRE! They are therefore great for digestion & are actually a natural digestive cleanser as they help the liver & kidneys process & remove waste toxins from the body!
They’re filled with antioxidants, such as: vitamins A, C & E, flavonoids, anthocyanin & polyphenols. This makes them anti-inflammatory & anti-aging, as they combat all the free radicals that enter the body through chemical contaminants, pollution & poor dietary choices. This also makes acai great for skin regeneration!
They are packed with the 3 essential omega fatty acids (3, 6 & 9) & other monounsaturated fats, such as oleic acid, which makes them heart healthy in that they lower inflammation & help promote the production of cell membranes!
They have TONS of electrolytes, such as magnesium, potassium, phosphorus & manganese, as well as tons of other trace minerals, such as iron, calcium & zinc & B-vitamins (B1, B2 & B3)!
They provide tons of cognitive functioning benefits! They can help improve focus & memory by turning off inflammatory pathways that damage nerve signals to the brain. They also help stimulate clear thought processes, high energy levels & development of ways to deal with the various effects of psychological stress (Some even consider acaï to be an adaptogen, like maca or reishi!).
This bowl is everything from:
Packed with potassium, thanks to the acaï & the bananas!
Filled with healthy fats, protein, good-for-you carbs, fibre & tons of vitamins & minerals!
HOW SO? Let me explain what’s in this baby!
Organic frozen mixed berries!
Organic acaï powder!
Unsweetened vanilla almond milk!
Fresh strawberries & banana!
Creamy almond butter!
Pumpkin cinnamon granola!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I use the one by Califia Farms);
- 1/2 tbsp. of creamy almond butter (or peanut butter or other nut butter of your choosing, or sub for SunButter for a nut-free option!);
- 1 cup of frozen organic mixed berries;
- 1 tsp. of organic freeze-dried acas powder (I use the one by Nutiva Naturals)
- 6-8 fresh strawberries, SLICED THINLY (for topping);
- 1 small banana, SLICED IN ROUNDS (for topping);
- 1 serving of Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Cinnamon Granola (for topping) (You can replace this granola with any other granola, some of my homemade granola, gluten-free rolled oats, cereal or muesli!);
- 1 tbsp. of hemp hearts (I use the ones by Manitoba Harvest). Feel free to replace the hemp hearts with chia, flax or pumpkin seeds, if you prefer!;
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Blueberries, kiwis, mango, other fruit, raw organic honey, pure organic maple syrup, bee pollen, spirulina, Collagen Peptides (GET THE VITAL PROTEINS ONES HERE USING MY AFFILIATE LINK!), vegan protein powder, walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds, cashews, cereal or muesli etc. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE TRULY ENDLESS!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- KAY SO, FIRST THINGS FIRST: Prepare the acaï purée. In a blender, add the almond milk, almond butter & frozen mixed berries! Blend on low until the larger chunks are broken down, then gradually increase the speed, until all the ingredients have mostly come together & you have a smooth, velvety & creamy purée!
- If your blender doesn’t have the option to blend slowly & then increase the speed, NO PROBLEM! Just blend normally, but you may have to scrape the sides here & there.
- You may also find that you need to add some more almond milk if it’s having a hard time blending!
- Pour the purée into a bowl (THEN LICK THE RESIDUE OFF YOUR SPATULA OR BLENDER, IF YOU WANNA BE SUPER CLASSY) & arrange the toppings: the strawberries, banana slices, granola & hemp hearts! Add any of the additional toppings suggestions or any other toppings of your choosing!