Vegan, Gluten, Oil, Egg & Refined Sugar-Free Chunky BLACK BEAN Burgers a.k.a. Even-A-Meat-Lover-Will-OD-Over-These!-Basically-Everything-You’ve-Ever-Dreamed-Of-In-A-Burger!
Happy FriYAY night!
CURRENT STATUS: Doing my IT’S-THE-WEEKEND dance! WANNA JOIN? It’s kinda fun.
The fact that the weather is starting to get a little bit chilly & fall-ish is BITTERSWEET. I hate saying goodbye to summer but I also freaking love fall, sweater weather, a really good book, warm frothy almond milk lattes & COMFORT FOOD (WITHOUT THE GUILT & GREASE, obvs!).
AND in the spirit of the comfort food without the guilt, I got inspired by my LOVE for black beans yesterday to make none other than these super-duper-easy-AF-to-whip-up BLACK BEAN BURGERS!
They’re basically everything you ever wanted in a burger. DON’T BELIEVE ME? TRY ME.
They are all things:
GLUTEN, EGG, OIL & REFINED SUGAR FREE!
Firm (P.S. I used organic balsamic vinegar, loads of spices & gluten-free 100% brown rice breadcrumbs to keep ’em firm! AND BOY OH BOY ARE THEY A SUCCESS!)
Full of fibre & protein!
CRISPY ON THE OUTSIDE with a just-right perfect texture on the inside!
Made with ONE BOWL. NO FOOD PROCESSOR.
NO MATTER HOW PICKY YOU ARE, these babes are JUST YOUR TYPE! I know you will just click with them. TRUST ME.
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Vegan, Gluten, Oil, Egg & Refined Sugar-Free Chunky BLACK BEAN Burgers a.k.a. Even-A-Meat-Lover-Will-OD-Over-These!-Basically-Everything-You’ve-Ever-Dreamed-Of-In-A-Burger!
I gotta admit, the fact that there’s no oil or eggs to hold these babies together kinda scared me because I genuinely thought they would FALL APART, but I’m seriously amazed at how well they held together & HOW PERFECTLY THEY BAKED!!
OH, right, about the baking. I chose to bake mine, BUT if it’s easier for you or if you prefer the taste, you can also fry them in some coconut or avocado oil, for approximately 4-5 minutes per side, depending on desired doneness.
NOW, before we get to the nitty-gritty, WHAT ON EARTH (BESIDES MY LOVE FOR BLACK BEANS) possessed me to make burgers out of black beans, right?
LET ME EXPLAIN! Y’all know I’m all about EATING FOR BENEFITS & let me tell you that these babes pack A HELLA LOT OF HEALTH BENEFITS that would make me completely INSANE if I chose a beef patty over these. LISTEN UP!
First things first, black beans are loaded with fibre, potassium, folate & vitamin B6!
They are an AMAZING source of PLANT-BASED protein!
They help strengthen the bones due to their iron, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, copper & zinc content!
They are GREAT FOR DIGESTION!!
They’re packed with PROTEIN (15g per cup, TO BE PRECISE!) & are super filling, satisfying & energizing!
Black beans contain NO CHOLESTEROL & help decrease the overall risk of heart disease!
They are rich in flavonoids, which means they have antioxidant abilities & may help reduce certain cancers!
They also contain omega-3 fatty-acids!
BASICALLY, THEY’RE HEALTHY AF FOR YOU!! They will do wonders for your digestive system, heart health, give you energy, keep you full, protect you from damage caused by free radicals & help fight off certain diseases & infections & will provide you with tons of essential vitamins, nutrients & minerals!
SO… if you were questioning making these burgers, I DOUBT YOU STILL ARE & I don’t blame you. And if you’re still questioning them… BYE FELICIA! (No just kidding, I love you anyway, BUT COME ON… WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE HOLDING YOU BACK? LEZ BE HONEST!).
NOW, I think I’ve kept you babies waiting for LONG ENOUGH, ya feel me? SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, let’s get those ingredients lined up!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
(P.S. These ingredients will give you enough for approximately 4 large patties or 5 medium-sized ones!)
- 1 15-oz. can of organic black beans (preferably, the low-sodium);
- 1/4 cup of gluten-free brown rice breadcrumbs (P.S. If you don’t have the brown rice breadcrumbs, instead of using regular breadcrumbs/Panko, toast a few slices of sprouted toast until they’re like REALLY FREAKING TOASTED, then crumble them up & make your own makeshift breadcrumbs! You can also pulse them in your food processor a few times to get them to have that extra bread-crumb-y texture! MY PERSONAL FAVE FOR SPROUTED BREAD?: EZEKIEL!!!!!!!).
- 1/4 cup of freshly parsley (or coriander), FINELY CHOPPED;
- 1/2 of a red onion, CHOPPED FINELY;
- 1/2 a red bell pepper (or one small one), CHOPPED FINELY;
- 1 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar;
- 1/2 tsp. of chilli powder;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper;
- Himalayan pink salt for seasoning;
- A pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- Rinse & drain your black beans! Once drained, make sure to pat them as dry as possible (If you don’t pat them dry, the moisture will make your burgers watery & they will have trouble sticking together!). Then, add the beans to a large mixing bowl!
- Mash the beans with a potato masher or a fork (I used a fork & it worked perfectly fine!) until most of the beans are mashed up but a few of them are still whole! I prefer to keep my beans a little bit chunky for added texture, but feel free to mash them completely, if you wish!
- Once the beans are mashed, add all the other ingredients to the mixing bowl & toss them with the beans until fully combined, incorporated & you’ve got a BURGER BATTER (Is burger batter a “thing”? WHATEVER. MAKING IT A THING, STAT).
- Form the BURGER BATTER into tightly-packed patties & place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet!
- BAKE THE BABES at 400F for 30 minutes, flipping at halfway mark!
- If you’ve got leftovers, let them cool off & then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator! ANOTHER GREAT MEAL PREP SOLUTION! I could LITERALLY eat these DAY AFTER DAY. Yes, that’s how good they are & that’s how much you WILL NOT get sick of them! I SWEAR!
OH & HERE’S A LITTLE DINNER INSPIRATION FOR THESE BABIES: Top a slice of sprouted Ezekiel toast with some organic Honey Dijon mustard, organic mild or spicy salsa, fresh spinach or arugula, ONE OF THESE BABES OF A BURGER & DEVOUR! Serve with a side of raw veggies, such as cherry tomatoes or cucumber & a side salad of spinach or arugula, lightly seasoned with some olive or avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice & sprinkled with some garlic powder, Himalayan salt, black pepper & a pinch of cayenne!