Hi again lovies!
BACK TO FILL YOUR TUMMIES SOME ‘MO!
Today, I got home from a really busy day (HALF OF WHICH WAS SPENT IN MONTREAL TRAFFIC, FML) & I was STARVING. Like, STARVING. As you all know, I usually have a snack & KOMBUCHA between 3-4PM, which is usually the time around which I need a little afternoon-pick-me-up to hold me over until dinnertime!
BUT TODAY, SINCE THIS CITY & TRAFFIC ARE LIKE BESTIES, I didn’t stick to my routine & I was legit famished when I got home. I had my BOOCH (OBVS) but needed to whip up something quick, simple, BUT STILL SATISFYING & DELISH for dinner. And that’s when I opened the fridge & LOW & BEHOLD, the goat cheese started calling my name! & then, the kale followed!
SO, I LISTENED TO THE GOAT CHEESE & TO THE KALE & WHIPPED UP THIS BABE OF A SALAD & let me tell y’all, I know she seems super simple (& she is) BUT WOW… THE FLAVOURS. BYE. Freaking DELISH!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to (VERY VERY VERY SUPER-DUPER) SIMPLY put this babe of a bowl together, I just want to go on a little (JK, HUGE) rant about all the benefits of none other than KALE, WHICH IS BASICALLY A NUTRITIONAL POWERHOUSE!
SUPER HIGH IN FIBRE! (One cup of kale will ring you in at 5 grams). This means that kale is great for digestion & elimination! It also contains a good amount of sulfur, which is good for keeping a healthy liver!
Filled with folate, magnesium, vitamin A (great for vision, skin & preventing certain types of cancer) & vitamin C (ESSENTIAL for immune system health, joint flexibility, metabolism & staying hydrated!)
KALE IS SUPER HIGH IN CALCIUM. In fact, it has more calcium per calorie than … MILK!!!! This means it’s great for bone health, preventing osteoporosis & maintaining a healthy metabolism!
HIGH IN IRON! Wanna hear something NUTS? Per calorie, kale actually has more iron than beef! Iron is CRUCIAL for good health, such as the formation of hemoglobin & enzymes & the transport of oxygen to various parts of the body, cell growth, proper liver function & overall energy levels!
HIGH IN VITAMIN K, which can help protect against certain diseases, & is great for bone health!
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY BENEFITS – Hello! Kale contains tons of omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight against arthritis, asthma & many other auto-immune disorders!
HEART-HEALTHY! HELPS LOWER CHOLESTEROL LEVELS!
JAM-PACKED & LOADED WITH ANTIOXIDANTS (such as carotenoids & flavonoids), which help fight free radicals!
With this salad, you get ALL THOSE BENEFITS & more: Tons of vitamins, nutrients & minerals from all the other raw veggies & protein & healthy fats from the goat cheese!
So, how do you whip this babe up?
LET’S ATTACK THAT NITTY-GRITTY!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED (FOR 2 PORTIONS or FOR ONE REALLY, REALLY, VERY, VERY HUNGRY PERSON!):
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 bunch of KALE, STEMMED, CHOPPED, WASHED, RINSED & DRAINED (Seems like a lot of work, BUT IT AIN’T!);
- 1 small pint of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1/2 – 1 whole red onion (depending on the size), SLICED FINELY, LENGTHWISE;
- LOADS of broccoli florets (TIP: Chop off as much of the stems as possible! I find broccoli & goat cheese go super well together, especially when the goat cheese gets all meshed up in the little florets! Do you feel me?);
- 6-8 radishes, ENDS CHOPPED & SLICED THINLY;
- 1/2 cup of organic goat cheese (Try to find one that contains probiotics too, for some added HEALTHY GUT BENEFITS!);
FOR THE SEASONING:
- 1/4 cup of organic balsamic vinegar;
- 2 tbsp. of maple syrup wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar or pure organic maple syrup or 2 tsp. of raw organic honey, if you prefer!);
- The juice of 1 organic lemon (or 2, if your lemon is really small or if you want a very citrusy seasoning!);
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of coarsely ground black pepper (& more for garnish!);
- Himalayan pink salt for seasoning;
- A drizzle of Oh My Spice! Maui Onion seasoning, or any other dried herb seasoning!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Remove your kale from the stems, chop, wash, rinse & drain it!
- Add kale, cherry tomatoes, red onion, broccoli florets, sliced radishes & goat cheese to a large mixing bowl!
- Season your salad with the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup wine vinegar (or one of the alternatives), the juice of one organic lemon, garlic powder, coarsely ground black pepper, Himalayan salt & a drizzle of Maui Onion or other dried herb seasoning!
- TOSS TO COMBINE, making sure that all your veggies (& especially the kale) are coated in the dressing! Sometimes, with kale, I find you have to mix more than with other greens to make sure it rly absorbs all the liquid from the seasoning!