Happy Wednesday HUMP DAY!!
I hope you’re all having a good week! I’m seriously SO FREAKING EXCITED to share this recipe with you, guys.
IF YOU LIKE SUSHI, TUNA, ASIAN FLAVOURS (& EVEN IF YOU DON’T), this BAE is for YOU!
It’s basically deconstructed sushi in a bowl.
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare (unless you’re like really slow in the kitch) & doesn’t require all the effort that sushi does! Let’s be honest, who the F is prepping sushi on a weeknight after a long day’s work OR school? NOT ME. NOT YOU. BE REAL, GUYS.
BUT, BUT, BUT, what if you could have everything you would get from sushi, without all that effort? How much would you love me if I could make this dream a reality? GUESS WHAT? I’M ABOUT TO. RIGHT NOW. LIKE STAT.
So before I break it down for you munchkins, TO SUM THIS RECIPE UP:
- The tuna is marinated in coconut aminos, garlic, lemon juice, green onions, ground ginger, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, Himalayan salt & coarsely ground black pepper! It’s refrigerated for about 45 minutes so that all the flavours can be absorbed! & THEN, THE BEST PART? It’s seared TO PERFECTION (DUH!) in a skillet on medium heat, for about 1 minute on each side!
- P.S. When tuna steaks are seared on the outside & left rare AF in the middle, they have a DELISH MEATY FLAVOUR & RICH, BUTTERY TEXTURE that will make even the most hardcore red meat lover smile. I SWEAR. (BEWARE: When tuna is overcooked & becomes too dry, it becomes very fishy tasting, SO BEWARE! Listen to my instructions & you will KILL IT).
- As for the mushrooms, they’re sautéed in organic coconut oil, garlic powder, black pepper & Himalayan pink salt on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until browned & caramelized! IT DOESN’T GET SIMPLER, SERIOUSLY THOUGH!
- THEN, the bowl comes together with a bunch of fresh, crispy greens & veggies to add some crunch & freshness to the beautiful warm, comforting & heart flavours of the tuna & the sautéed mushrooms!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Seared Tuna Buddha Bowl With Raw Veggies, Sautéed Cremini Mushrooms & Fresh Herbs a.k.a. Deconstructed-Sushi-Dinner-In-30-Minutes?-Yes-Please!
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FREAKING DELICIOUS THIS BOWL IS!
Full of lean protein, fibre, healthy fats!
LOADED with vitamins, minerals & nutrients!
Über satisfying & filling!
It’s crispy, crunchy, but warm & comforting too!
BASICALLY, YOU WANT IT. NOW.
& JUST BEFORE I TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE HER YOURS, let’s discuss the benefits of TUNA STEAK! I PROMISE, I’ll be brief…ISH.
PACKED WITH PROTEIN! A 3oz. serving will provide you with anywhere between 24-26 grams of protein!
Tuna is also an amazing source of iron, potassium, zinc & niacin! (P.S. Niacin is a B-vitamin that plays a role in the proper function of your digestion & the health of your skin & nerves!).
It also packs a healthy dose of vitamin A, which is good for eyesight & for immune system strength! Speaking of immune system strength, tuna also contains a good amount of selenium, which is an antioxidant that helps improve immune system health overall!
Tuna also contains other B-vitamins, which, in a nutshell, help to build & maintain red blood cells, increase energy, boost metabolism & help keep the skin healthy!
While salmon & mackerel are the best sources, TUNA IS STILL A GOOD SOURCE OF UNSATURATED FATS, PARTICULARLY OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS! As I’ve raved about in the past, omega-3s may help to reduce inflammation throughout the body, improve immunity, decrease cholesterol levels & lower blood pressure!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED: P.S. These quantities should give you enough for 2-3 bowls (2 if you’re really hungry, 3 if you’re more reasonable. BUT LET’S BE HONEST, WHO IS? 2 bowls, guys. 2 BOWLS. Okay?).
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 2 tuna steaks, sliced in half, LENGTHWISE (This will give you 4 thinner steaks, OBVS! But if you prefer a thicker tuna steak, you can keep the 2 steaks whole & use the same amount of ingredients as follows!);
- 2 tbsp. of Naked Coconut Coconut Aminos or any other soy sauce substitute, or wheat-free Tamari for gluten-free option, or REDUCED-SODIUM soy sauce, if you must!
- 2 cloves of garlic, CRUSHED;
- 4 green onions, THINLY SLICED;
- The juice of 1 organic lemon;
- 1 tsp. of ground ginger;
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- A pinch of cayenne;
- Himalayan pink salt for seasoning;
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of coarsely ground black pepper!
FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 package of Cremini mushrooms;
- Black pepper, garlic powder & Himalayan pink salt for seasoning!
FOR THE BOWLS:
- LOADS of crispy spinach!
- LOADS of purple cabbage, SHREDDED;
- 6-8 radishes, SLICED THINLY;
- 4 green onions, SLICED THINLY;
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, CHOPPED;
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- OPTIONAL: Sriracha, MORE COCONUT AMINOS & coarsely ground black pepper for garnishing!
OKAY, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY!
FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat & spray it with coconut oil cooking spray (or avocado oil, according to your preference!)
- Once heated, throw your mushrooms into the skillet & season them generously with Himalayan pink salt, black pepper & garlic powder! Toss to combine & coat all the mushrooms in the seasoning!
- Sauté the mushrooms over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until browned, caramelized & cooked through!
- Remove from the heat & let cool before adding to the bowl!
FOR THE SEARED TUNA:
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a medium/large mixing bowl (Adjust your bowl size based on how much tuna you’re making – Ideally, the steaks should all be able to fit the bottom of the bowl so they could be evenly coated in the marinade!) & MIX ‘EM until combined & incorporated & you’ve got yourself a beautiful marinade that you just can’t wait to throw your tuna into!
- Once you’ve got your marinade, add your tuna steaks to the bowl & toss & flip them over a couple times to coat them in the marinade! Make sure they’re all coated before putting them in the refrigerator so that all the flavours can be evenly absorbed!
- Cover & refrigerate the tuna steaks for about 45 minutes to one hour! Remember that the longer you refrigerate the babes for, the more the flavours will be absorbed!
- While the tuna steaks are marinating, MULTITASK! Cut up all your veggies then place the spinach at the bottom of the bowl & layer it with all the other veggies & the mushrooms!
- Once the steaks are finished marinating, remove them from the refrigerator & place them on a plate.
- Coarsely grind loads of black pepper & sprinkle on the edges of the tuna steaks (or well basically, ALL OVER THE PLACE! & BE GENEROUS!). Gently press the pepper into the edges of the steak, so that it adheres to the surface!
- In the meantime, heat a skillet over medium heat! Once heated, add your tuna & sear on each side for about 1 minute! Make sure not to overcook!!!!
- Remove from the heat & let cool. Once cooled, slice your tuna steaks diagonally into 4-5 slices & top your gorgeous bowls with the tuna slices!
- Garnish your bowls with some more coconut aminos, Sriracha & some more coarsely ground black pepper!