Gluten-Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar-Free Matcha Cacao Collagen-Infused “Beauty” Macaroons a.k.a. Scrumptiously-Chewy-But-Chunky-Protein-&-Collagen-Packed-Bites-FTW!
HAPPY SUNDAY & for once, I don’t need to remind you that tomorrow is Monday & the start of a new work week, BECAUSE IT AIN’T! Gotta love long weekends! I pretty much spent the entire day in PJs today (MINUS MY WORKOUT) & I’m not even mad about it. It was SO NECESSARY. Plus, the weather in Montreal didn’t call for much else, let’s be honest. It literally felt like a day in the middle of October… CRAZY how fast fall is creeping up on us. BUT HEY, SWEATER WEATHER FTW!
ANYWHO, in the spirit of all things fall & cozying up & cuddling & tea, HOW ‘BOUT SOME MATCHA? Ya dig? I know I do. Last night, I whipped up a fresh batch of… WAIT FOR IT…
MATCHA CACAO COLLAGEN-INFUSED “BEAUTY” MACAROONS.
No baking necessary.
THESE BABES ARE THEBOMB.COM.
They’re made with coconut flakes, Medjool dates, MATCHA (OBVS), Collagen Peptides, vanilla extract, organic virgin coconut oil & raw cacao nibs. C’EST TOUT. These munchkins really are AS CLEAN & HEALTHY AS IT GETS.
LADIES & GENTS, I PRESENT YOU WITH MY: Gluten-Free, Vegan & Refined Sugar-Free Matcha Cacao Collagen-Infused “Beauty” Macaroons a.k.a. Scrumptiously-Chewy-But-Chunky-Protein-&-Collagen-Packed-Bites-FTW!
Seriously guys… the texture. THE TEXTURE OH MY GOODNESS.
They are so SCRUMPTIOUSLY CHEWY!
But the cacao nibs add just the right amount & special touch of chunky & crispy!
AND THE NATURAL SWEETNESS OF THE DATES TOPS IT ALL OFF!
OH & DID I MENTION THEY ARE VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, REFINED SUGAR-FREE
They take like NO TIME TO MAKE, seriously. All you need is a food processor, a spatula, a cookie sheet, some parchment paper, a spoon & your hands. SERIOUSLY. Oh well & the ingredients, but I mean… OBVIOUSLY.
They make for the perfect post-workout snack & refuel thanks to all the protein & they’re also great as a little munchie throughout the day to hold you over until your next meal. AND WELL, if you can get in some munching all while reaping all the benefits of COLLAGEN & MATCHA, why not? Right?
And of course, because I love you munchkins SO MUCH & want to encourage you to take your HEALTH into YOUR HANDS (because ultimately only you have control over what you put into YOUR body), let me tell you about all the benefits of MATCHA & why I infused these BABES with it to give you (& myself) an extra dose of health!
First things first, matcha is basically high-grade, finely-ground, VERY CONCENTRATED green tea! So basically, when you consume matcha, you consume ALL OF GREEN TEA’S benefits in the MOST CONCENTRATED form & the heath benefits are AMPLIFIED!
NOW, THE BENEFITS:
Super high in antioxidants, specifically, polyphenols, called catechins, which are found in other superfoods such as cocoa & apples. They are more powerful than both vitamin C & E at stopping oxidative damage to cells & have other disease-fighting abilities.
Naturally-occurring chemical compounds in matcha are anti-carcionegic by inducing cancer cell death & inhibiting cancer cell growth!
Enhances calm & induces relaxation! This is because it contains a mix of L-theanine & caffeine. L-Theanine is a relaxing amino acid found pretty much exclusively in certain teas. It ultimately leads to a state of relaxed alertness & can benefit people suffering from anxiety by increasing levels of dopamine in the brain.
Memory & concentration booster (Matcha actually enhances production of dopamine and serotonin, two chemicals that not only improve memory & concentration but ALSO MOOD!);
Increases energy levels & endurance!
BURNS CALORIES & increases metabolism (It can actually help your body burn fat about 4x faster than average… um what? TOO GOOD. TOO GOOD).
Detoxifies the body! The reason it has such a rich green colour is due to its high chlorophyll levels, which is a type of plant pigment responsible for the absorption of light in the process of photosythensis, which creates energy. Chlorophyll is a super effective detodfixier that can aid eliminate unwanted toxins, chemicals & heavy metals from your body. It basically works to increase the blood’s capacity to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to cells within the body, which helps the body regenerate and cleanse itself at the cellular level!
Strengthens immunity (Matcha actually has antibiotic properties & provides tons of potassium, vitamin A & C, iron, protein & calcium).
Improves cholesterol (For all you people who eat way too many eggs & potato chips, compensate with THESE BABIES. THEN, you’ll have an excuse to indulge in moderation!)
Benefits exercise performance: Clinical test have suggested that matcha can help speed recovery in athletes who do high-intensity workouts. It also has been shown to reverse cellular damage caused by oxidative-nitrosative stress, which is the internal imbalance of free radicals & antioxidants, that ultimately destroys cells, prevents repair & causes disease.
P.S. THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS WILL GIVE YOU MUNCHKINS ENOUGH FOR ABOUT 10 MATCHA BALLS! I definitely recommend doubling the recipe, especially if you are planning on meal-prepping these babes as snacks/post-workout bites for the week. TRUST ME, YOU WILL RUN OUT OF THEM FAST & they are a great snack to have on hand! Super healthy alternative to cookies & other baked treats! I am tots doubling my batch next time!
NOW, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO… the nitty-gritty!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened shredded coconut;
- 5 large Medjool dates, PITTED;
- 1.5 tbsp. of matcha green tea powder (I use the one by Matcha Ninja);
- 2 scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (GET THEM BY CLICKING HERE TO USE MY AFFILIATE LINK!);
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 tbsp. of organic virgin coconut oil;
- 4-6 tsp. of filtered water;
- 2 tbsp. – 1/4 cup of raw organic cacao nibs (If you don’t have: You can totally substitute for any kind of chocolate chip or EVEN BETTER, break up a dark-chocolate bar! This will give these munchkins a bit of a chunkier texture!)
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO:
- Combine the shredded coconut, dates, matcha green tea powder, Collagen Peptides, sea salt, vanilla & coconut oil in the bowl of your food processor.
- Process until the mixture is crumbly & mixed thoroughly! You will definitely have to stop to scrape down the sides at least once!
- Once you’ve got your mixture, begin adding the filtered water 2 tsp. at a time, until your mix is moist & sticks together when pinched between two fingers! The amount of water you need will vary depending on the moisture in the dates (I added 4 tsp. of water & it was perfect, but play it by ear!).
- Once you’ve got your mixture just where it’s supposed to be, throw in the cacao nibs & pulse them a few times to incorporate! MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERMIX! Over-mixing will cause the macaroons to lose some of their green colour (but won’t change the flavour obviously, so don’t worry!!).
- Using a tbsp. or a small cookie scoop, portion out the babies, roll them into balls (THEY DON’T HAVE TO BE PERFECTLY ROUND!) & place ’em onto a lined cookie sheet!
- REFRIGERATE the babes for at least half an hour or until the macaroons have hardened & firmed up!
- BTW, this is not me telling you that you can’t lick the bowl or taste the babies AS SOON AS YOU ROLL ‘EM UP! Trust me, you’ll have to do one of the above… THE TEMPTATION WILL BE TOO STRONG. Try me. I swear.
- P.S. I actually left mine in the refrigerator overnight & only tried ‘em the next day & they were FIRM, but perfectly scrumptious, moist & chewy on the inside when I took my first bite!
- Once firmed up & hardened, placed the babes in a sealed container & refrigerate!
- You can take them out 5-10 minutes before devouring if you want ’em to soften a bit!
- You can also freeze the babes if you prefer & this will also help want them to last longer!