Kelly’s Grain-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free Tabbouleh Salad a.k.a. One-Bowl-Wonder-Of-Antioxidants-Anti-Inflammatory-Detoxification-Healthy-Fats-Protein-&-Vitamins!
I hope your Monday is AS GOOD AS IT CAN BE. It is Monday after all. But, we have to make the best of it, right?
What better way to make the best of it than with a DELICIOUS TABBOULEH SALAD, MEAL-PREPPED & ready for you on those busy mornings when you jump out of bed & it’s 10 minutes before your train leaves. You need lunch. Stat. Open your fridge. & BAM. BOOM. VOILÁ.
Quick & easy GRAIN-FREE TABBOULEH?
No problem. I got your backs.
While we’re at it, I kept this baby gluten-free, vegan & refined sugar-free!
It doesn’t get cleaner, healthier, simpler & easier than this!
Ladies & gents, this is Kelly’s Grain-Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free Tabbouleh Salad a.k.a. One-Bowl-Wonder-Of-Antioxidants-Anti-Inflammatory-Detoxification-Healthy-Fats-Protein-&-Vitamins!
Even though Tabbouleh is not really an Israeli dish, I still kind of feel like every time I make it, I’m going back to my roots. I guess it has something to do with the subconscious Mediterranean in me. SAFE TO SAY I KNOW WHAT I’M DOING WHEN IT COMES TO THIS STUFF.
All you need?
9 ingredients. (& THAT’S IF YOU COUNT salt & pepper as ingredients… this is a controversial topic but we’ll save it for another day. NOW, LET US TALK TABBOULEH!)
1 bowl. (FOR ONCE… minimal dishwashing, FTW!)
10 minutes. (ADMIT YOU ADORE ME!). The only reason it even takes ten minutes is because of the chopping & dicing, BUT C’MON… you can at least do that… I make the rest SO EASY for you!!
So what are those 9 ingredients I speak of?
Let me explain!
- Fresh parsley for vitamin K, C, A, manganese, calcium, potassium, folate & iron. Parsley is also packed with essential oils & antioxidant flavonoids! It can also act as a natural detox remedy & anti-inflammatory agent! And to make things even better? Research has shown that parsley & parsley essential oils are associated with helping to fight anemia, bladder infections, digestive problems, kidney stones, arthritis, bloating, acid reflux & poor immunity!
- Red bell pepper for crispy crunch! Loaded with vitamin C & beta-carotene aka MORE ANTIOXIDANTS & MORE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY BENEFITS! Great for the skin (thanks to the vitamin E content) & the immune system! Also contains vitamin B6, essential for the health of the nervous system & for cell renewal!
- Red onion for folate, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, potassium & vitamins C, K & B-6. Great for heart health, fighting infection & detoxifying the body. They’re also anti-inflammatory, can help prevent cardiovascular disease & have antioxidant properties! Lastly, they can help protect against stomach & other forms of cancer, certain infections & can help with the symptoms of asthma.
- Hemp hearts to replace the grains & for some added protein, fibre & healthy fats (Omega-3s & 6s!). Helps with the repair & growth of lean body mass, aids in the production of vital enzymes, immune-healthy & heart-healthy! Also contains high amounts of calcium, iron, amino-acids & vitamin A!
- Fresh lemon! Loaded with vitamin B & C, proteins, carbs & phosphorus! The flavonoids in lemon juice also contain antioxidants, which contribute to overall immune health! Great for cleansing the liver, detoxifying & digestion!
- Apple cider vinegar (Raw, organic & from the mother, ALWAYS!)
- P.S. Read all about its benefits HERE!
- Black pepper & Himalayan salt!
- Ground cumin for that Mediterranean spice!
Basically, this salad is all things:
& READY IN A JIFFY!
I changed it up from the traditional version, just a bit, BUT LET’S BE HONEST, you knew I would. After all, is it really a KELLY IN THE KITCH recipe if the original version of something isn’t changed up, even if just a tad? NAH.
Anywho, I subbed the grains for hemp hearts & subbed the traditional cherry tomatoes for red bell pepper for added crunch, natural sweetness (& NO SOGGINESS!). Since I meal-prepped a large batch & plan on keeping it in the fridge for a few days, I wanted to avoid the SITCH where the cherry tomatoes water down the entire salad & make me not want to devour it… although, let’s be honest, I PROBS WOULD ANYWAYS. NO SHAME. (If you plan to devour this salad on the spot & have no leftovers, feel free to sub the bell pepper for cherry tomatoes!).
ANYWHO, without further ado, now that you know all the health benefits you will reap, NOT TO MENTION THE DELICIOUSNESS YOU WILL DEVOUR, with this salad, let’s get to that nitty-gritty. YA DIG?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 large bundle of fresh parsley, CHOPPED;
- 1/2 of a large red onion, DICED;
- 1 red bell pepper, DICED;
- 2-3 tbsp. of hemp hearts (If you prefer, you can replace the hemp hearts with 1/4 cup of grains, such as quinoa or bulgur);
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- The juice of one lemon;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper;
- Himalayan pink salt for seasoning!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Add parsley, red onion, red pepper & hemp hearts to a large mixing bowl.
- Top these beautiful ingredients with the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cumin, pepper & pink salt & TOSS TO COMBINE!
- Taste & adjust the flavour as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, salt & pepper for flavour or more apple cider vinegar, if you find the salad is too dry!
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY or refrigerate in an airtight container! Before devouring the leftovers, make sure to stir the tabbouleh & season with a little more lemon &/or apple cider vinegar!