I wish you all a BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND! It kind of seems like fall is slowly creeping up on us in Montreal, so ENJOY THE LAST OF SUMMER WHILE YOU CAN! And by enjoy, I mean, go out, appreciate life & get in all the vitamin D you can!
BUT… What I also mean is spend some of your precious time in the kitch whipping up some yummy fridge & pantry staples to get you through the week & keep you feeling healthy, light & overall, AMAZING!
Where to start, you ask?
YOU’RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Right here. Right now.
This morning, I whipped up a CLEAN VERSION OF THE TOKEN JAPANESE WAFU DRESSING that we all KNOW & LOVE! Let’s be honest, if it were up to us, we’d probably lather it on just about anything (despite the fact that it’s called a dressing & is most likely to be smothered in crispy crunchy greens, cabbage & shredded carrots). It’s a staple in pretty much all sushi restaurants & well… IT’S FREAKING DELISH.
But… if you take a closer look at some of the ingredients found in it, you might think twice about LATHERING IT ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. I’ll be honest, I’ve seen WAY WORSE ingredients labels & this one is NOT ALL THAT BAD, but… hey, when you can come up with a healthier alternative, made with clean, real ingredients, that takes hardly any time to whip up, not to mention hardly any effort on your part… WHY NOT? I’ll go that extra mile, you?
And because I will, I know you will. I mean… I’M TELLING YOU EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT. STEP BY STEP. INGREDIENT BY INGREDIENT. What more can you ask for, really? Except maybe for a jar made by yours truly. Maybe one day. BUT NOT TODAY.
Today, I’m typing up this recipe FRANTICALLY & ain’t nobody got time to whip up another jar. Try catching me on a better day. You might just get lucky. BUT FOR NOW. Let’s talk about this babe of a dressing ALTERNATIVE!
This WAFU alternative is:
Made with the cleanest & real-est ingredients!
Contains no gums, binding agents!
Contains zero added sodium!
TASTES JUST LIKE THE REAL THANG, only healthier (& you’d never know!!!!)
Basically, the way this dressing came to life is this. I HAD A CRAVING FOR THIS BABE OF A DRESSING. I read the ingredients & was not down with them. Like straight up, I wouldn’t eat it. & Well, since you all know my mentality when it comes to cravings – IF MY BODY IS ASKING ME FOR SOMETHING, I LISTEN TO IT – I had to come up with a healthy way to make this dressing mine (& to let it fill my tummy up real nice!).
AND SO, I PUT MY BRAIN TO WORK. Y’ALL KNOW I LIKE A CHALLENGE &…
BAM. BOOM. HERE WE ARE!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Clean Alternative To The Japanese Wafu Dressing We All Know & Love a.k.a. Sorry-Wafu-I-Just-Heard-You’re-Closed-For-Business!
I replaced the canola oil with organic toasted sesame oil, the table salt with Himalayan pink salt, the white granulated sugar with organic coconut palm sugar & the soy sauce with coconut aminos!
I also omitted the frozen pasteurized egg yolk – OBVS, there’s nothing wrong with a fresh (not frozen) egg yolk – It’s packed with healthy fats & boasts loads of other great benefits BUT, I wanted this dressing to appeal to ALL OF YOU, even my vegan babes!
ALL THIS TO SAY: REAL FOOD. REAL INGREDIENTS (P.S. Don’t be alarmed if the dressing is not as creamy & beige-y white-y as the original version – Remember that there’s tons of other ingredients in the original that I cannot even pronounce, not to mention the binding agents & the egg yolk, all of which contribute to the beige-y color! BUT IT AIN’T ABOUT THE COLOR. IT’S ABOUT THE TASTE. & trust me when I tell y’all, the taste is ON FLEEK, RIGHT ON FREAKING FLEEK, kay?).
ANYWHO, once you make this, sorry WAFU, but there’s no way you’re going back to the store-bought version. It’s a promise!
NOW, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY, a.k.a. the part where I tell you what you need to whip up this babe of a dressing (& the part where you pray you have all the ingredients & don’t have to run to the grocery store!):
- 2 tbsp. of organic toasted sesame oil (I use the one by Maison Orphée);
- 3 tbsp. of organic natural rice vinegar (ALWAYS make sure to buy the sodium & sugar-free ones!)
- 3 tbsp. of coconut amigos (or other soy sauce substitute or gluten-free Tamari or REDUCED-SODIUM soy sauce, if that’s all you’ve got & you’re lazy AF to go tot the grocery store. HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF US, I UNDERSTAND!);
- 1 tbsp. of organic coconut palm sugar;
- 1/2 tbsp. of white or black sesame seeds (preferably, toasted!);
- 1/2 of a white onion, MINCED or GRATED;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of ground ginger;
- Himalayan pink salt & black pepper for seasoning!
Now that we’ve got them ingredients down-packed, ALL YOU GOTTA DO (Admit you love me for making this so easy on you, C’MON. SAY IT. SAY IT NOW. NOW.) is:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl & whisk it all together until fully combined!
- If you wish, you can add the ingredients to your blender & blend for about 30 seconds! I didn’t try this but I presume it will allow the dressing to become more emulsified & might change the colour a bit more to resemble that of the original Wafu dressing! If you try this step, let me know how it turns out!
- THEN, DEVOUR on a salad, as a marinade on chicken, beef, fish or seafood or as a sauce for tartare/sushi! ENJOY!