OKAY, so for once in my life, I am not going to go on & on about these fries (ALTHOUGH I MOST DEFINITELY COULD GIVEN HOW DELISH THEY ARE), simply because I’m leaving for NYC TOMORROW MORNING (YAS!!!) & still have tons of last minute prep stuff to do!
BUT, I wanted to leave you lovies with one last recipe before I go!
(& A GREAT ONE, AT THAT, especially just in time for the weekend! I mean… who doesn’t like FRIES on the weekend? & BETTER YET? HEALTHY FRIES. I’ll take ’em, you?).
Without further ado, LET’S GET TO MY LITTLE RANT ABOUT THESE BABIES (I did not say I wasn’t going to rant at all… quite frankly, that would be IMPOSSIBLE, let’s be honest). But, I promise, it won’t go on for as long as usual (BUT COME ON, you guys must like my rants just a lil’ bit, no? I HOPE SO!).
Guys, made with only SIX INGREDIENTS, THESE BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRIES are effing good.
IN A NUTSHELL, THINK:
Sweet, caramelized edges, crispy crunchy ends & chewy middles.
THEY REALLY EXCEEDED ALL OF MY EXPECTATIONS.
Yes, they’re simple. But sometimes, simple is better! AND THESE BABIES WILL HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHY!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Clean & Simple AF Perfectly-Baked-Crispy-But-Also-Chewy Butternut Squash Fries a.k.a. That-Low-Carb-Healthier-Alternative-To-The-Deep-Fried-Kind-But-You-Won’t-Even-Be-Mad-Bro!
My secret to perfectly-crispy-chewy (but not soggy) butternut fries (& any fries, really!) is giving them plenty of space on the baking sheet! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GETTING CLOSE FOR COMFORT when it comes to this stuff, okay? Give ‘em some space!
This time around, I kept the seasoning super simple (for once in my life) & believe it or not, IT WAS JUST RIGHT!
NEED IDEAS AS TO HOW TO DEVOUR THESE? I don’t really think you do, BUT JUST IN CASE: Dip these babies in garlic mayo, ketchup, hummus, tzatziki, yellow or Dijon mustard or any other dip of your choosing – GET CREATIVE!
Not only are they delicious but they’re:
A way healthier & LOW CARB alternative to them ol’ baked (or deep-fried) potato fries!
Packed with vitamins, fibre & are an excellent choice of veggie to provide slow release energy, managed blood sugar regulation & provide you with a dose of antioxidants, not to mention, its anti-inflammatory properties!
OH & they’re also EASY AS 1-2-3 to whip up… so if it’s one of those lazy nights (& even if it isn’t), I GOT YOU COVERED. I GOT YOUR BACK. As always.
And now, speaking of having your back, I did promise that this wouldn’t go on for TOO LONG & I tend to keep my promises. So, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 butternut squash, PEELED & CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS, a.k.a. FRIES!
- Avocado oil cooking spray (I use the one by Chosen Foods);
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper;
- 1/4 tsp. of Himalayan pink salt!
YEP. SIX INGREDIENTS. & YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH MAGICAL WONDERFULNESS. This is what I mean when I say that sometimes simpler is better. BUT NOT ALWAYS, sometimes it’s fun to get complicated.
BUT NOT TODAY, HONEY, NOT TODAY.
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Peel & cut the squash in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds & then cut each half into fries or wedges, depending on your preference!
- Line a large baking sheet (or two, depending on the size of your squash) with parchment paper & set aside.
- Place the fries in a bowl & coat them in the avocado oil, parsley, garlic, black pepper, & Himalayan salt! Toss until all your babies are evenly coated!
- Place the babes in a SINGLE LAYER (CRUCIAL!) onto a baking sheet, making sure that NONE are overlapping!
- NOW, BAKE THE BABES FOR 30 MINUTES, turning once at halfway mark, until they are caramelized & charred in spots!