Back again ON THIS SATURDAY NIGHT (Quite the party animal spending my Saturday nights blogging, right?) WITH NONE OTHER THAN THE HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK RECIPE you’ve now seen me make on an ALMOST WEEKLY BASIS!
OKAY, so I first started making homemade almond milk a few weeks ago when I finally gave in to all the amazing things I had been hearing about how creamy it is, how much better it is than store-bought, how easy it is to make & basically, HOW IT’S THE BEST.
Turns out all of this is TRUE!
For my first attempt, I used a cheesecloth & let’s just say, IT WASN’T AS EASY AS EVERYONE MADE IT SEEM (In retrospect, I should’ve gotten a nut milk bag, BUT WHATEVZ!). I made quite a freaking MESS. I had never used a cheesecloth before so I had no idea what I was doing, NOT TO MENTION, I do not have experience MILKING COWS or milking anything for that matter, so you can imagine how that went down.
ANYWHO, second time around? I GOT A NUT MILK BAG. AND BOY WAS IT AN EASY AF BREEZE FROM THEN ON OUT!
ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK. ALMOND MILK.
Where do I even begin?
OKAY, first things first, as you all know, it’s vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free & soy-free. THAT SHOULD DO IT, RIGHT?
Now, aside from the fact that almond milk PRETTY MUCH satisfies every single DIETARY RESTRICTION in the book, let’s talk texture. CREAMY. LIGHTLY SWEET. SO FREAKING SATISFYING. You can legit use this milk as you would any other type of plant-based or regular milk. I’m talking with cookies, cereal, in a smoothie, in coffee (YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW PERFECTLY IT FROTHS!) OR SIMPLY ON ITS OWN!
Ladies & gents, I present you with: Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk a.k.a. Oh-Really?-Store-Bought-Almond-Milk-Still-Exists?-No-Thanks!
Basically, THIS IS HOW IT GOES DOWN.
You soak a cup of raw almonds overnight or for 12 hours or longer. You then rinse & drain the almonds, BLEND ‘EM ONCE with MORE WATER & then you NUT MILK BAG THEM. Basically, you place your bag over a large bowl, slowly pour in the milk (a lot of which will filter right through the bag without any effort) & THEN to get all of the milk out, you’ll need to do some down & dirty work, a.k.a. some squeezing to encourage the milk to pass through! It may take a few minutes, BUT IT’S WELL WORTH IT.
You will end up with loads of dried almond pulp in your nut milk bag. THEN, FOR THE BEST PART? You’ll pop the almond milk back into the blender & add in some other yummy stuff, like vanilla, Medjool dates, cinnamon & Himalayan salt & BLEND AGAIN! And THAT’S IT. THAT’S ALL. Seriously. it’s THAT easy. I’ll still give you munchkins a step-by-step rundown because I love you so much.
And of course, as soon as it’s ready… YOU JUST HAVE TO TASTE IT. Whether or not you have leftovers in your blender, TASTE IT, OKAY? It tastes so freaking perfect straight out ‘da blender & oh boy… IT JUST GETS BETTER FROM THERE AS IT CHILLS IN THE FRIDGE.
Those of you who know me know that I ain’t a milk drinker. BUT THIS… THIS ALMOND MILK. I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR IT.
Plus, think of all the health benefits you are reaping from those almonds EACH TIME YOU HEAD TO THE FRIDGE TO SIP A BIT (WHO ARE WE KIDDING? A TON!) OF THIS STUFF! I don’t think I need to preach to you munchkins about why almonds are good for you. I think it’s pretty set in stone that they’ll:
provide you with loads of healthy fats, fibre, protein, antioxidants, magnesium & vitamin E!
not to mention the facts that they help lower blood sugar levels, are a great way to combat skin aging, reduce blood pressure & cholesterol levels, keep you fuller longer, increase nutrient absorption, contain probiotic components that can help with digestion, detoxification & healthy bacterial growth within the gut & help promote healthy weight maintenance!
HOW’S THAT? YOU SOLD YET?
Pretty sure I had you at “HEY MUNCHKINS!”. DON’T LIE.
P.S. This recipe will give you a little bit more than one Mason jar full of almond milk! (It actually gives slightly more & IT’S ALWAYS ABOUT TO OVERFLOW, but then I just end up drinking the leftovers. OH WELL!). You can totally double or triple this recipe if you’ve got an entire family of ALMOND MILK DEVOURERS that will be drinking this throughout the week, BUT keep in mind that because there are literally ZERO PRESERVATIVES in this baby, it only lasts up to four days, SO MAKE IT WISELY!
P.P.S. If you aren’t a fan of almonds (YOU CRAY), or you want to change it up a bit, you can totally use cashews, macadamia nuts or hazelnuts! The possibilities really are endless!
OKAY, it’s that time. LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY. Y’all deserve it after all my ranting. SORRY (NOT SORRY).
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE PREP:
- 1 cup of raw organic almonds (unsalted) (I use the ones by Prana or by Elan Organics – Both available at most health food stores in MTL);
- 3 cups of filtered water;
- 1 tsp. of sea salt (CRUCIAL because it helps break down the enzyme inhibitors & the physic acid).
- 4 cups of filtered water;
- 2 organic Medjool dates (soaked in warm water for about 15 minutes to make blending easier!). I usually use the ones by Prana, as well!
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1/4 tsp. of Himalayan pink salt;
- Cinnamon drizzle!
- In a LARGE bowl, add 1 cup of almonds & 3 cups of filtered water;
- Add 1 tsp. of sea salt & cover!
- Soak the almonds for 12-24 hours;
- Once soaking is done, transfer the almonds to a strainer & rinse them VERY WELL with cold water!
- Soak 2-3 organic Medjool dates in warm water for 10-15 minutes!
- Once rinsed, add the almonds to your blender with 4 cups of filtered water & BLEND on HIGH for about 2-3 minutes!
- Prepare a bowl with a nut milk bag (Alternatives? Cheesecloth or large dish cloth. I’ve tried it with a cheesecloth & it worked, BUT WAS A BIT MESSIER! If you are going to start making almond milk weekly or often enough, I definitely suggest getting a nut milk bag. It makes the process so much more seamless, not to mention, WAY LESS MESSY!).
- After the first blend, slowly (UNLESS YOU WANT ALMOND MILK SPLATTER EVERYWHERE), pour the almond milk mix into the nut milk bag. SQUEEZE THE F OUT OF THE ALMOND MILK by gathering up & squeezing out the liquid, until there is LEGIT nothing left to squeeze out & all you are left with is dried almond pulp!
- Once the liquid is strained, transfer the remaining pulp to a glass or plastic container & set aside to dehydrate!
- NOW, RE-POUR the strained almond milk into your blender & throw in the dates, vanilla extract, Himalayan salt & cinnamon & BLEND AGAIN for another minute or so until combined!
- Pour the ALMOND MILK into a glass bottle or Mason jar & ENJOY!
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days! I totally recommend storing your milk in the COLDEST spot in the fridge (typically the back) rather than in the door!
- ALSO, ALWAYS shake the jar very well each time before drinking as the mixture separates when sitting (REMEMBER, there are ZERO preservatives in here, so it’s totally normal!).
P.S. Original recipe from KG’s Kitchen.
P.P.S. Here are some recipe ideas already on my blog for what to do with that LEFTOVER ALMOND PULP!
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Almond Pulp Herby-Garlicky-“Cheezy”-Crackers a.k.a. The-Most-Perfect-Crispy-Crunchy-Nutty-Way-To-Put-Leftovers-To-Good-Use!