HAPPY SATURDAY & HAPPY WEEKEND!
In celebration (ONE DAY LATE!) of NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DAY (How did I miss that bandwagon though?), today, I baked up some gluten-free (& possibly vegan) & refined sugar-free CHICKPEA FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!
Baked to perfection in just 10 MINUTES (Plus a bit of PREP TIME, obvs!), these babes will satisfy your sweet tooth, all while containing ZERO BUTTER & ZERO WHITE SUGAR.
The smell in my KITCH this morning had me going absolutely CRAY! And I may or may not have had a bite or two or three as soon as they were FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN & well… ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOAH.
Worried they’ll taste like chickpeas? WORRY NO MORE! & I mean… would it really be that much of a bad thing if they did?!
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free & Possibly Vegan Chickpea Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies a.k.a. Happy-Belated-National-Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Day!-Oh-&-Scrumptiously-Soft-On-The-Inside-&-Golden-Brown-Crisp-On-The-Outside!
Wanna know something else that makes these babes awesome (as if the pics weren’t enough?), using chickpea flour means you can use LESS SUGAR because the flour is somewhat sweeter than other flour variations!
Speaking of chickpea flour, WHY USE IT?
Let me explain!
Basically, in a nutshell, chickpea flour has all the same benefits as chickpeas! After all, it is simply made using just one ingredient: ROASTED CHICKPEAS!
But, let’s discuss these benefits a little more, WHY DON’T WE?
HIGH IN FIBRE, which means it can help balance unhealthy cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, obesity, diabetes & even some types of cancer! How so? Basically, the bean’s fibre works to create a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that binds with fatty acids!
P.S. Most refined flours will be stripped of nutrients & are VERY LOW in fibre, so this is a huge benefit in making the swap for chickpea flour!
The high-fibre content also helps with digestion & keeping you fuller longer!
HIGH SOURCE OF PLANT-BASED PROTEIN!
Packed with vitamins & minerals, for example: calcium & magnesium, folate (for all you soon-to-be-mamas!), B-vitamins (B6, especially!), iron & potassium!
ANTIOXIDANT – Chickpea flour also contains the mineral selenium, which is an antioxidant, as well as polyphenols.
Anti-inflammatory – Basically, the high fibre content in the beans draws toxins out of the digestive tract, keeping the cells protected & preventing inflammation & fighting free radical damage.
Improves immune function by counteracting acidity from a poor diet. Basically, this will balance the body’s pH level! When the body is in a more alkaline state, it is better able to remain in homeostatis, fight inflammation & stop cancer cells from proliferating!
NOT BAD, RIGHT? It’s such a simple swap for your regular refined flour & the benefits you’re reaping in making that swap are INCOMPARABLE to what you get from regular ol’ flour. SO DO IT!!
NOW, before we get into the nitty-gritty. IT’S TIME TO PICTURE YOUR FIRST BITE. My loves, if it were easy, I would put it into the most perfectly-perfect words for you to give you the exact vision & the real true ability to know EXACTLY WHAT’S WAITING FOR YOU WITH THESE BABIES. But it’s too hard. All I can say is once again, YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE AT FIRST BITE. I swear, I’ve been making you guys fall in love all kinds lately, must be kinda fun, no?
No, but seriously, they are so scrumptiously delish. THEY’RE JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF SOFT ON THE INSIDE & CRISPY GOLDEN BROWN ON THE OUTSIDE.
And oh my goodness, IF YOU WARM THEM, right before devouring… THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. MY GOD. I CANNOT EVEN ARTICULATE (& I’ve been told that I am USUALLY quite articulate).
I’m warning you guys, don’t just make one batch. They’ll be gone in minutes. I’m not even kidding. WHETHER YOU’LL BE DEVOURING ‘EM ALONE (ain’t nothing wrong with that) OR SHARING WITH THE FAM & FRIENDS, you’ll want to have some extras on hand. YOU’LL LITERALLY TURN YOUR HEAD & BAM. Where did they all go? YA KNOW… just chillin’ in our tummies (ALL WHILE PROVIDING LOADS OF HEALTH BENEFITS).
ANYWHO, all this to say, if this ain’t a way to celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, then I don’t know what is!!!!!
One thing’s for sure: These babies will have you automatically forgiving me for being a day late.
Now, before you collapse from excitement & begin trying to make your own version of these babes (I’m not saying they won’t turn out well or anything, but like… WHATEVZ), LET’S GET INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup of organic virgin coconut oil, MELTED & COOLED;
- 1/4 cup of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1/2 cup of organic coconut sugar (If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can sub for organic cane sugar or brown sugar);
- 1 egg (To make the babes VEGAN-FRIENDLY, sub for a flax egg or Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer);
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour (or garbanzo bean flour – SAME THING!). I use the one by Bob’s Red Mill;
- 3/4 tsp. of of baking soda;
- 1/2 tsp. of Himalayan pink salt;
- 1/2 cup of dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (OR chop up a chocolate bar or use any other type of chocolate chips, such as milk, butterscotch or any other flavour of your choosing! Have fun with it!).
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line TWO baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt your coconut oil in your microwave for about 35-40 seconds!
- In a LARGE bowl,combine the melted & cooled coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg, applesauce & vanilla extract until SMOOTH & CREAMY AF! (MAKE SURE that your coconut oil is NOT HOT. It should be liquid, but should have had a few minutes to cool off so that you prevent the egg from cooking when it’s combined with the oil!).
- In a separate bowl (SORRY NOT SORRY), whisk together the chickpea flour, baking soda & salt!
- NOW, let’s bring all this yumminess together! Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones & STIR LIKE CRAY until well-combined & the dry & wet ingredients are fully incorporated!
- Once you have a gorgeous batter THAT SMELLS HEAVENLY & that you QUITE SIMPLY, CANNOT RESIST FOR MUCH LONGER, throw in the chocolate chips! Fold them into the batter with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula!
- This is the hardest part. You must part with the batter for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Yes, these will seem like the longest 20-30 minutes of your life. BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I swear. Don’t believe in that mantra? LET THIS BE THE FIRST TIME YOU TRY. Either way, you ain’t got a choice! The reason for this? Let’s get this GORG batter hardened up to make it easier for you to roll it into the most perfectly-perfect shaped cookies. I mean, basically, you’re refrigerating it to make YOUR LIFE EASIER down the road. So like… JUST DO IT, okay? All this to say, refrigerate the batter for 20-30 minutes & DO SOMETHING ELSE TO DISTRACT YOU FROM OPENING & CLOSING YOUR FRIDGE DOOR LIKE 200 TIMES.
- Once the longest 20-30 minutes of your life have gone & passed & it’s time to remove this babe of a batter from the fridge, DO A HAPPY DANCE. Then, remove the batter from the fridge! Use a tbsp. or a cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet! (P.S. The quantities I listed gave me enough for 9 PRETTY BIG cookies. I think if I would have made them a bit smaller, I would’ve had enough dough for 12, but keep that in mind when deciding if you should double, OR TRIPLE, the recipe, based on how big you’ll want your cookies!).
- Bake the babes at 350F for 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown! Don’t worry if the tops feel a bit soft when THEY’RE FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN. They will harden as they cool off. DO NOT BE FOOLED & DO NOT BAKE ‘EM FOR LONGER!
- Allow the babes to cool on the baking sheet for about 10-15 minutes. (Just kidding. DON’T ALLOW THEM TO COOL. TASTE ONE. OR TWO. OR THREE. & If you want to take a little break from gobbling, let the rest cool for a bit, THEN PROCEED TO DEVOUR SOME ‘MO!).