CHEERS TO THE ALMOST-WEEKEND!
Last night, I teased you munchkins with my dinner, NOT TO MENTION IMPRESSED MYSELF BEYOND WORDS WITH THIS ONE. I got really creative & whipped up something that blew my mind.
THE FLAVOURS WERE INSANE. LIKE, INSANE.
I had been hearing about this concept of portobello mushroom burgers for quite some time now & had been meaning to try them out BUT NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT. Then, last night, I opened up my fridge & LOW & BEHOLD, there they were. TWO MASSIVE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM CAPS staring right at me & begging for me to FINALLY try to whip up something yummy with ‘em!
& SO, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. I put my mind to work & THIS RECIPE WAS BORN (& devoured in 5, LITERALLY).
Now, first things first, a lot of people will make a portobello mushroom burger & simply replace the wheat bun with the mushroom caps & still use a beef, chicken or salmon burger! I’M TOTALLY DOWN FOR THAT TOO.
BUT, this one is a little bit different. I used the mushrooms as my gluten-free BUNS, but also replaced the meaty burger with A PERFECTLY FRIED & YOLKY AF EGG! (Don’t worry, I tots compensated for that meaty flavour with the marinade for the MUSHROOM BUNS, but we shall get to that shortly!).
ANYWHO, if eggs ain’t your thang, do not despair! You can totally change this recipe up to sub the egg for THE REAL DEAL BEEF BURGER, ground chicken, beef or turkey, a chicken or salmon burger, goat or feta cheese &/or mozzarella or cheddar slices! BASICALLY, the possibilities are freaking endless. AGAIN, HAVE FUN WITH IT!
So before we get into the nitty-gritty, let me explain what this babe of a recipe is. BASICALLY, the mushroom buns are marinated & THEN GRILLED TO PERFECTION! I wanted to give the mushrooms a MEATY flavour so I marinated them with balsamic vinegar, soy sauce substitute & Joe Beef’s BBQ rub (WHICH BTW IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!).
The babes are then topped with LOADS OF DELISH TOPPINGS, SPICES & none other than a PERFECTLY FRIED & YOLKY EGG!
Then… the hard part. PUTTING THE BURGER TOGETHER. It’s messy, I won’t lie. BUT IT’S WORTH EVERY SINGLE DRIP & DROP OF SAUCE & WHATEVER ELSE FALLS OUT. That’s how freaking good it is.
SO YES, you are going to get down & dirty, BUT WHO CARES. ENJOY IT. DEVOUR IT. GOBBLE IT UP!
Once again, this is what I mean by ALWAYS making sure that your meals have a good balance of healthy & good-for-you fats, proteins, carbs & veggies/greens! On nights when I’m lazy AF & I skimp on one of the above, I SWEAR, I CAN FEEL IT. It has literally become a routine & lifestyle for me & I wouldn’t have it any other way! There is no better feeling than FEELING LIKE A MILLION BUCKS after you’ve devoured a meal that you know was nutritious & satisfying AF & NOT TO MENTION, HAS YOU BEGGING FOR MORE!
P.S. You can totally go wild with the toppings here based on your preferences! I WAS DYING FOR AN AVOCADO but I had none left, so I did without it this time but I WOULD DEFINITELY ADD IT if you’ve got it & will definitely be trying it out with AVO next time!
OH & if you aren’t convinced JUST YET… what if I told you that this babe could be ready in like under 30 minutes? YEP. The cherry on top, I know! AS IF you weren’t already convinced.
Anyway loves, I think I’ve been selfish enough. I’VE KEPT YOU WAITING LONG ENOUGH & RAVED & RANTED ABOUT SOMETHING THAT YOU COULD NOT HAVE UP UNTIL NOW… IT’S THAT TIME.
Let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
Here we go!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS:
- Coconut oil cooking spray (I use the one by Spectrum Organics);
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps;
- 2 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar (I use BioItalia);
- 1/2 tbsp. of soy sauce substitute or coconut aminos (I use Naked Coconuts);
- 1 tbsp. of raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tsp. of all-purpose seasoning;
- 1 tsp. of Joe Beef’s Barbecue Rub;
FOR THE GRILLED BELL PEPPER:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 medium bell pepper, QUARTERED;
- Sprinkled with back pepper, Bragg’s Organic 24-Herb Seasoning & Himalayan pink salt.
FOR THE FRIED EGG:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 egg, FRIED (Sprinkled with black pepper, dried parsley flakes & Himalayan pink sea salt);
- P.S. If you’re not into the whole fried egg thing, feel free to sub the egg for some ground chicken or turkey, chicken breast OR A REAL DEAL BEEF BURGER. Hey, at least you’re not having a REAL BUN, right?
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 1/4 cup of organic salsa (I use the one by Bandito’s Organics);
- LOADS of red onion slices;
- LOADS of fresh cilantro;
- Sprinkles of Oh My Spice Maui Onion & Garlic Lovers seasonings (You guys can use any herb blend or all-purpose seasoning, OR you can combine a bunch of different dried herbs to create a little something of your own!);
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Avocado slices, tomatoes, organic yellow mustard, romaine lettuce, caramelized onions, mayo, sliced mozzarella or cheddar, goat or feta cheese – BASICALLY, the possibilities are endless, my loves, SO PLEASE, HAVE FUN WITH IT!
OKAY, now that we’ve got them ingredients DOWN-PACKED & READY, let’s talk HOW-TO?!
- In a LARGE (Mine was too small, so DO NOT GO FOR THE MEDIUM-SIZED ONE) bowl, mix together the balsamic, soy sauce substitute, apple cider, all-purpose seasoning & BBQ rub!
- Once the marinade is fully combined & ready, place the mushroom caps into the bowl & TOSS THEM to coat them evenly in the sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat, if necessary!
- Let the BABES stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, turning them a few times to make sure they really freaking marinate!
- While your babies are marinating, spray a skillet with coconut oil cooking spray & heat over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once heated, add your bell pepper quarters to the skillet & season them with black pepper, dried herb seasoning & Himalayan pink salt! LOWER YOUR HEAT TO MEDIUM & allow the babes to sit & COOK for about 7 minutes.
- THEN FLIP ‘EM! Let ‘em grill AGAIN for 5-7 minutes & then flip ‘em one last time & let cook for 1-3 minutes more!
- Once cooked, remove your peppers from the heat & allow them to cool!
- NOW, let’s get these “BUNS” going! Spray yet ANOTHER skillet (Sorry not sorry) with coconut oil & heat over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once heated, add your MUSHROOM BUNS to the skillet & pour any leftover marinade over them! Allow them to cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes! You will know they are cooked through when they are BROWNED AF & begin to look rather caramelized! Adjust the cooking time if you find your buns are not cooked enough! BUT WATCH ‘EM – You don’t want the babes to burn!
- Once the BUNS are ready, set ‘em aside!
- BEST FOR LAST, right? Nobody likes a cold fried egg, LET’S BE HONEST. NOW, SPRAY & HEAT ONE MORE SKILLET (SORRRRRRY FOR REAL THIS TIME!) over MEDIUM-HIGH heat.
- Once heated, reduce the heat to MEDIUM. THEN, crack your egg into the skillet & season it with Himalayan pink salt, pepper & dried parsley flakes! Allow it to cook (ALL WHILE WATCHING THE EFF OUT OF IT) until you see that the edges begin to brown & to lift off the skillet! I don’t know about you munchkins but I like my eggs YOLKY-AF (This usually takes about 3-4 minutes!).
- If you’re someone who prefers your fried egg to be more cooked through, you may need to adjust the timing – YOU BE THE JUDGE!
- Once your egg is fried-AF, IT’S TIME TO ASSEMBLE THIS BABY!
- Place your mushroom buns on a plate. Top one of the babies with the organic salsa, red onion & fresh cilantro & top the other babe with the grilled bell pepper & the fried egg! SPRINKLE the Oh My Spice blends over all this beautifulness.
- NOW, YOU MUST BE CAREFUL FOR THIS PART. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Take the bun with the salsa, onions & cilantro & TOP IT OVER THE OTHER BABY! Try your best to keep the toppings & spices from falling out. THIS TAKES EFFORT, I KNOW. BUT IT’S SO WORTH IT. You have no idea what’s waiting for you, NOT EVEN KIDDING!