HAPPY SaturYAY & happy weekend! It’s BEAUTIFUL in Montreal today so while I do encourage you to spend PART OF your day in the KITCH whipping these babes up, PLEASE MAKE SOME TIME TO GO OUTSIDE & ENJOY THE SUN! It’s so rare these days that we gotta embrace it while we have it!
CURRENTLY SITTING IN MY PEDI CHAIR getting my toes done (for the first time in like FOREVZ, thank goodness!) & typing away frantically to get these munchkins to you, or should I say, to your tummies! (The woman doing my pedi thinks I’m insane BTW. I legit type SO LOUD & LIKE A MONSTER, but whatevz. A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do!)
ANYWHO, I’m gonna come right out & apologize. SORRY FOR MAKING YOU WAIT SO LONG FOR THESE BABIES. I know, I teased you a few days ago & WAITING IS NEVER FUN (Especially for something this temptingly-delicious!). BUT NOW’S THE TIME. THEY ARE FINALLY HERE! So get excited, my loves!
I’ve raved these up ENOUGH & you’re probably wondering what the EFF I’m freaking out about…
I’M TALKING GLUTEN-FREE ZUCCHINI MEATBALLS!
(AS IF the pics didn’t give it away!).
Made with ONLY:
Grated zucchini (SKIN ON!)!
LOADS OF DRIED HERBS!
Brown-rice GLUTEN-FREE breadcrumbs!
Himalayan salt & peppa!
THEN BAKED IN ‘DA OVEN, these cuties are perf as:
Served over pasta!
With a DELISH PIECE OF CRUSTY SPROUTED TOAST OR BAGUETTE!
GUYS, I CANNOT PUT THE DELICIOUSNESS OF THESE BABIES INTO WORDS.
They are perfectly browned & crusty on the outside but perfectly mushy, scrumptious, garlicky, “cheesy” (but without the real deal) & luscious on the inside!
I made these like TWO DAYS AGO & I have to admit… I finished the last two today. GUILTY AS CHARGED.
SO… basically, the recipe I’m giving you will give you enough “MEATBALL DOUGH” for 8 babies BUT, I totally recommend doubling it or even tripling it (Depending how many people you are feeding!).
IN A NUTSHELL (& to put it VERY lightly)… THESE BABES ARE:
Clean & healthy!
The perfect thing to meal prep & have ready in your fridge as appetizers, to add to salads, bowls, in wraps/sandwiches/pita pockets (I mean, THEY’RE PRETTY MUCH ZUCCHINI FALAFEL!) or to DEVOUR AS IS!
EASY & QUICK & SIMPLE AF TO PREP!
You really have NO REASON not to make them. Seriously.
LADIES & GENTS, HERE ARE: Kelly’s Clean-Eating Gluten-Free Meatless Zucchini “Meatballs” a.k.a. Perfectly-Crisp-On-The-Outside-&-Lusciously-Scrumpsiouly-Delish-On-The-Inside!
THE HARDEST PART? (& the KEY part): GETTING RID OF ALL THE WATER IN THE ZUCCHINI! Don’t worry, I tell you all about how to do that – YOU JUST HAVE TO LISTEN TO MOI! Basically, if there’s too much fluid left in your babes (OOPS, I mean meatballs), they won’t hold together & while the zucchini MUSH will still taste delicious, they will NO LONGER BE MEATBALLS! ANYWHO, no worries about that – If you listen to me, that won’t happen!
I’ve already ranted & raved to you munchkins in the past about the benefits of zucchini! BUT TO SUM IT ALL UP, I’m talking:
Loaded with vitamin A & C (Keeps cholesterol from oxidizing the body’s blood vessels!), magnesium (keeps blood pressure in check!), folate (helps break down amino acids), potassium (which makes them SUPER HEART HEALTHY!), copper & phosphorus!
Packed wth omega-3 fatty acids, zinc & protein, loads of B vitamins (B1, B6 &B2) & calcium!
LOADED with fibre, which helps in lowering cholesterol!
GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN, giving it a glow & restoring its moisture!
& HIGH IN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY PROPERTIES (due to its antioxidant content), which means it helps fight off free radicals & oxidative stress!
OKAY, LET’S GET TO IT. I KNOW, IT’S ABOUT TIME, RIGHT?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves;
- 2 medium zucchini, GRATED;
- 3 tbsp. of dried basil;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- 1 tsp. off Bragg’s Organic Sprinkle 24-Herbs;
- 1/2 cup of brown rice breadcrumbs;
- 1 egg, BEATEN (TO MAKE THESE BABES VEGAN, USE A FLAX EGG OR BOB’S RED MILL EGG REPLACER!)
- 2 tsp. of nutritional yeast;
- LOADS OF FRESH CILANTRO;
- 1/2 tsp. of Himalayan pink salt;
- 1/8 tsp. of black pepper!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?!
- Heat your oven to 375F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray & set aside!
- Spray a MEDIUM non-stick skillet with coconut oil & heat over MEDIUM heat. Once heated, add the garlic & sauté it until golden, about 30 seconds to 1 minute!
- NOW, add the zucchini & season with salt & peppa! Cook it on HIGH HEAT until all the water evaporates from the skillet. The should take anywhere from 5-7 minutes!
- Transfer the zucchini to a strainer to get rid of any excess water (You want to have the least water possible because water means your “meat”balls won’t hold together as well!), THEN, transfer it to a LARGE BOWL!
- Add the basil, garlic powder, parsley flakes, Bragg’s herbs, breadcrumbs, egg, nutritional yeast & cilantro. NOW, STIR ALL THIS GORGEOUSNESS TOGETHER TO COMBINE until you obtain A MEATBALL DOUGH (Not sure if that’s a thing, but whatever… I’M TOTS MAKING IT ONE STAT!).
- Form the zucchini mixture into balls about 1 ounce each, ROLLING TIGHTLY & transfer them to the prepared baking sheet! Spray the top & bake until the babes are firm & browned, about 20-25 minutes! (I baked mine for 20 minutes, then added 4 extra minutes & THEY CAME OUT PERF! Talk about precision, RIGHT?).
OH & can we just discuss this POWER BOWL I made with these babies?