Happy GLOOMY-AF Monday!
Today, I spent the large part of my day blog-post drafting, IN BED & cooking & baking! I mean, is there really anything better to do on a rainy day that essentially looks like mid-October weather? Didn’t think so!
Amidst the time spent in the kitch, I whipped up these SIMPLE SWEET POTATO ROUNDS! I’ve been on the butternut squash wagon for quite some time now (I actually have one that I need to use PRONTO, so recipe suggestions or requests, please!) & I had a little craving for sweet potato, similar in texture but a bit sweeter & starchier!
I wanted to create something SAVOURY, all while adding a little touch of sweetness to bring out the natural sweetness in the potato! AND BAM. These babies were born! I put together a sweet & savoury spice combo, threw in some pure organic maple syrup, the juice of 1 fresh lemon for some citrus & THERE YOU HAVE IT! THAT’S IT. THAT’S ALL.
These babes are everything from:
A great, satisfying & fibre-rich snack!
To the perfect side dish with some steak, chicken, fish or seafood!
& The perfect add-on to a hearty Buddha bowl!
THEY’RE CRUNCHY ON THE EDGES & JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TENDER IN THE MIDDLE! I’m telling you guys, it really is all about the ROAST – It gives them a great texture & brings out this perfect sweet-nutty flavour!
They’re also the perfect healthy-alternative to the bagged frozen sweet potato fries & a lot more fun than a plain baked sweet potato!
And, they are SO SIMPLE, QUICK & EASY TO MAKE! You can be snacking, ide-dishing & devouring in NO-TIME!
Before we get to the NITTY-GRITTY, let’s talk benefits of SWEET POTATO! Ya dig? Are they really that good for you? I mean… they are potatoes after all, right?
LET ME EXPLAIN!
HERE GOES ANOTHER LITTLE SESH OF NUTRITION-101 WITH KELLY IN THE KITCH!
High in vitamin A! In fact, a serving of sweet potato contains 100% of your vitamin A RDA, which is the active ingredient in most anti-aging creams!
FULL OF MAGNIESUM, which helps with weight loss by metabolizing carbs & promoting stable appetite!
High in other vitamins & minerals, such as thiamine, niacin, riboflavin & carotenoids!
Low in sodium!
Rich in beta-carotene (a major antioxidant), along with vitamin-C & B complex vitamins, iron & phosphorus! This makes sweet potatoes an excellent immune system booster!
Anti-inflammatory (Once again, THANKS BETA-CAROTENE, VITAMIN C & magnesium).
Beta-carotene is considered the CHAMPION antioxidant & anti-carcinogenic substance & basically, this & the vitamin-C content can help cure certain types of cancer.
Higher in fibre than white potatoes, therefore, combined with magnesium, this makes these babies an excellent facilitator for digestion & they area also super easy to digest given their starch content!
The fibre content in sweet potatoes also helps the body retain water, which helps maintain overall water balance in the body, keeping you hydrated & your cells functioning efficiently!
Sweet potatoes are also effective in regulating blood sugar levels by helping with the proper secretion & function of insulin! They are a great replacement for rice & other carbs as a healthier option!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 large sweet potato (If you’re using two, DOUBLE THE RECIPE!);
- The juice of 1 fresh lemon;
- ¼ cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- 1 tsp. of minced onion;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- ½ tsp. of cinnamon;
- ¼ tsp. of black pepper;
- A sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
Easy as 1, 2, 3 – SERIOUSLY!
- Preheat your oven to 450F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside!
- Peel & slice your sweet potatoes into thin rounds!
- Place your sweet potato rounds in a MEDIUM metal mixing bowl & add all the other ingredients to the bowl!
- Toss the F out of your rounds to coat the babes in this beautiful sweet & savoury mixture!
- Once all your babies are evenly coated (& you already want to devour them, BUT WAIT… THEY ARE JUST SO MUCH BETTER ROASTED, I SWEAR!), place them on the baking sheet side by side (You can pile them a bit because they shrink during baking, BUT, BY PILE, I SORTA MEAN OVERLAP, NOT LITERALLY PUT THEM ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, ya feel me?).
- If your sweet potato was like MASSIVE (or if you used two), you may find you need a second baking sheet!
- Bake the babes for 20 minutes at 450F.
- Once the timer beeps 20 (& YOU WANT TO KILL IT BECAUSE IT’S ANNOYING AF), remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip your babies & BAKE ‘EM AGAIN FOR 10-15 MINUTES!
- Check on them at the 10-minute mark & then you can be the judge, my loves! If you prefer your sweet potatoes SUPER DUPER UBER ROASTED like me, then you’ll want to aim for the full additional 15 minutes!
- ONCE BAKED, DEVOUR. Just make sure not to burn your tongue!!!!
- If you happen to have any leftovers, allow them to cool on the baking sheet & refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 1 week! BAM!
- P.S. You won’t have leftovers. SORRY NOT SORRY!