Good morning & Happy Thursday!
It’s almost FRIYAY & you know what that means… WE’VE ALMOST HIT THEM WEEKEND VIBES. Let’s pray it’s a sunny one out here in Montreal!
NOW, I teased you babies with these roasted chickpeas the other day & well, I kinda made you wait for the recipe because I’ve been feeling way too inspired the past few days & went on like 93012803428 rants.
BUT NOW, HERE I AM. TALKING FOOD. TALKING CHICK PEAS. TALKING ROASTING. TALKING DELICIOUSNESS.
OKAY, so I think you munchkins know by now that I really, really, really like chickpeas! One of my fave ways to
enjoy (devour) them is by roasting them with some DELISH AF SPICES for a crunchy, crispy, light, tasty, nomnomnom, healthy & nutritious snack (or salad topper!).
What I love about this recipe is its simplicity & how versatile it is – You can literally experiment with various spice combinations & you really cannot go wrong! I mean, I went the savory route here, but you can totally go the sweet route too if you prefer (I’m talking cinnamon, maple syrup, brown sugar, maple flakes & all that good stuff – BUT WE’LL GET TO THAT ANOTHER TIME!). For now, let’s talk about this babe of a recipe.
Not only is this recipe simple & versatile, but she’s also packed with protein & fiber!
OH & she’s also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free refined sugar-free & grain free!!!!! ALL THIS TO SAY, BASICALLY ANYBODY CAN EAT THESE BABIES. Yes, no matter what your dietary restriction is, THESE BABIES CAN BE FILLING YOUR TUMS IN NO TIME!
Ladies & gents, I present you with my Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free & Vegan Flavourful AF Oven-Roasted Chickpeas a.k.a. That-Crunchy-Munchy-Crispy-Guilt-Free- Deliciousness-Oh-No-Where-Did-They-All-Go?!
ALSO, a lot of store-bought roasted chickpeas contain LOADS of (unnecessary) oil so that the spices can spread more easily, BUT I’ve replaced (most of) the oil with lemon juice & BAM (I still use olive oil cooking spray to grease my baking sheet pre-bake BUT, there isn’t actually any oil in the recipe itself!). So basically, these babes are EVERYTHING I ALREADY MENTIONED… & GUILT-FREE! WHAT? Crazy, right? I know.
ANYWHO, these babes are certainly a great snack idea because:
They satisfy every single dietary requirement!
They will keep you full AF because of their fiber & protein content!
& They will provide you with LOADS of essential vitamins & nutrients (such as, potassium, selenium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, calcium, zinc, magnesium & vitamin K – WOAH, HOW’S THAT FOR A HEALTHY SNACK?!).
OKAY, WE ARE ALMOST AT THE NITTY-GRITTY. But, before that, I just want you guys to take a second, like a moment of silence or whatever, to dream of that first bite sitch. That moment where the timer beeps, your babes are fresh out ‘da oven, HOT AF, and you drop that baking sheet onto your kitchen table & BEGIN MUNCHKING & CRUNCHING & DEVOURING & OHMAGOODNESS…
You then look down at the baking sheet & suddenly, YOU TEAR. YOU CRY. No, not because you ate the entire batch (because that really is NOT A BAD THING) but rather because there’s nothing left for you to devour & then… there you find yourself, can-opener in hand, OPENING YET ANOTHER CAN & REALIZING THAT THIS TIME, YOU’RE DOUBLING THE BATCH! (Look how awesome I am – Instead of putting you in that sad sitch in the first place, I’m telling you how to avoid it… ALL THIS TO SAY, IF YOU’VE GOT A PANTRY STACKED WITH CHICK PEAS, DOUBLE YOUR BATCH!).
K, I’VE KEPT YOU WAITING LONG ENOUGH. Here I go!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 15-oz. can of organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans – WHATEVER THEY ARE CALLED!) (I use Bioitalia!);
- The juice of ½ an organic lemon;
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1 tsp. of ground turmeric;
- All Simply Organic! (AS IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW!);
- A drizzle of Himalayan pink salt;
- Olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray (I use Chosen Foods)!
OKAY, before we get to the nitty-gritty, JUST A LITTLE RANT FOR YOU MUNCHKINS ABOUT ALWAYS WASHING YOUR CANNED LEGUMES/BEANS!!!! Why, you ask?
- First things first, rinsing canned foods can reduce the amount of sodium by HALF!
- Doing so also reduces the amount of complex sugars, which humans cannot digest (but the bacteria in our intestines can… only with uncomfortable results!). Basically, rinse your beans to say CIAO TO DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS!
- Draining the fluid also improves the flavor & texture of the legumes/beans by concentrating the flavor of the beans! (Basically, all the liquid in the can dilutes the flavor, so when it’s removed, FLAVOUR FOR DAYZ!).
OKAY, that’s all!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 375F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper!
- RINSE YOUR CHICKPEAS!
- Mix all the ingredients together in a LARGE AF bowl until the chickpeas are EVENLY coated in all the beautiful flavors!
- Spray your baking sheet with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray!
- Spread the babes evenly onto the prepared baking sheet (DO NOT PILE THEM!) & ROAST THE BABES FOR 35 MINUTES, until crisp, browned & golden!
- Check on the babes about halfway or ¾ through the baking time & toss ‘em to prevent uneven browning!
- At the 35 minute-mark, check on your babies & if you find they could use a little more crisping, add another 3-5 minutes! BUT WATCH YOUR BABIES SO THAT THEY DON’T BURN! (That’s like my worst nightmare… baking or cooking something so freaking delicious & then having to watch it burn & GO TO WASTE simply because I forgot to watch it… MAN. ALL THIS TO SAY, TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHICK PEAS! I mean… how could you not? They are just the cutest!).
- Allow the babies to sit & cool a bit before devouring, IF YOU HAVE THE RESISTANCE TO WAIT! Lord knows I didn’t.
- The babes will keep well for a few days if stored at room temperature in an airtight container… but I mean… GUYS, THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT TO STORE, ONCE AGAIN. I
hate(love) to break it to ya, but you will eat each & every single one of these munchkins off the baking sheet.
OH & ME DEVOURING THESE BABES. NBD.
Enjoy my loves!!! <3 xoxo