Gluten-Free, Vegan & Good-For-You (But You Can’t Tell) Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet a.k.a. OHMACOOKIEGOODNESS!-Oh-&-There’s-No-Such-Thing-As-Leftovers!
Hi my loves!
BACK YET AGAIN! I am on such a roll these days. I’m loving it & most of all, LOVING FILLING YOUR TUMMIES UP! You munchkins are so amazing that you deserve ALL THESE HEALTHY BUT YUMMY TREATS!
Anywho, this baby is an adaptation of Rachael’s Good Eats Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet (Link to original recipe here: https://rachaelsgoodeats.com/cashew-chocolate-chip-cookie-skillet/). I didn’t change THAT much but I changed a few things & decided I would share it with you munchkins so you can try out THIS DELICIOUSNESS TOO (all while giving her the credit for the OG recipe, obvs!).
I cannot even begin to describe or put the yumminess & scrumptiousness of this MASSIVE COOKIE into words. It’s BEYOND THE REALM OF ALL VOCABULARY THAT EXISTS TO DESCRIBE SOMETHING THAT TASTES GOOD. I am not even joking. I am not exaggerating. This is something you must experience first-hand to understand. I wish I was kidding, I wish I could describe it to you, BUT I AIN’T & I CAN’T.
First things first, WHO DOESN’T LOVE A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE?! I MEAN… For those of you who live in Montreal, this totally reminds me of the MBRGR chocolate chip cookie dessert. DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER IT? I think it was called the COOKIE MONSTER. I swear to G-d, I remember, I would go to MBRGR & NOT EVEN ORDER A BURGER because I didn’t want to be too full to order the Cookie Monster for dessert… YES, you read right. I went to a burger place & refrained from ordering a burger so that I could order a cookie. STORY OF MY FREAKING LIFE (This all goes back to the fact that I constantly rant & rave to you munchkins about how I’m so not a salt person… BUT MY SWEET TOOTH. OH MAN. MY SWEET TOOTH. DON’T GET ME STARTED!). & My sweet tooth when it comes to cookies & chocolate & nuts & vanilla & maple syrup. MY GOODNESS. THIS IS A DANGEROUS SITCH FOR ME.
NOW, this is basically the COOKIE MONSTER but made with REAL, GOOD-FOR-YOU, HEALTHY & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS.
This baby is everything from:
Rich, decadent, indulgent, crusty, BUT SOFT & CAKEY & CHEWY & OHMACOOKIEGOODNESS on the inside!
Now, imagine this cookie. TOPPED WITH FRESH FRUIT. ALMOND BUTTER. GREEK YOGURT. PEANUT BUTTER. VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM. WHIPPED CREAM. The possibilities are endless, but all I know is that YOU WIL NEVER, EVER get sick of this babe!
So I did tell you that this is made with real, good-for-you, clean blablabla that-whole-shebang ingredients, BUT, GET THIS… she tastes EXACTLY LIKE A REAL FREAKING COOKIE. Like, I swear, you will not be reaching for those Oreos or those Chips Ahoy! You won’t want them. You will forget all about their existence. I mean, what are Oreo’s & Chips Ahoy anyway?
ANYWHO LOVIES, trust me, I’m legit the cookie monster & I KNOW A GOOD COOKIE WHEN I SEE ONE. & This one… let’s just say that good is an understatement.
& SO, without further ado, LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY! (Oh, btw, she’s ALSO GLUTEN-FREE & POSSIBLY VEGAN if you sub that egg for a flax egg!).
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 egg (or sub flax egg for vegan option! P.S. for the flax egg: 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds + 3 tbsp. of water);
- 3 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (I use Decacer brand). If you prefer to use honey, sub for the same amount!
- ¼ cup of organic unsweetened applesauce (or ¼ cup of organic coconut oil, MELTED);
- 1/3 cup of organic CREAMY cashew butter (I use the one by Nuts To You!). You can totally sub the cashew butter for almond butter, peanut butter, tahini or sunflower butter!
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic);
- 1 tbsp. of unsweetened organic almond milk (I used Califia Farms! I recently tried this brand & I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT!). If you’re not a fan of almond milk, you can sub for coconut milk OR if dairy is not a concern for you, you can also use skim or regular milk!)
- 1 cup of gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill). You can also use 1 cup of finely ground almond flour OR 1 cup of oat flour OR 1/3 cup of coconut flour (The quantity of coconut flour is lesser because it absorbs more liquid than other flours!);
- ¼ tsp. of baking soda;
- ¼ tsp. of cinnamon;
- ½ cup of chocolate chips or chunks (I use Krisda) – HEAVENLYYYYYYYY! OH & SO VERY NECESSARY!!!
- ¼ tsp. of sea salt;
- Coconut oil cooking spray! (I use Spectrum or Chosen Foods!).
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 325F;
- Whisk the egg in a LARGE mixing bowl & add in the maple syrup, applesauce (or oil), cashew butter, vanilla extract & almond milk & WHISK AGAIN!
- P.S. If you are using the flax egg instead, mix 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseeds with 3 tbsp. of water & let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe!
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon & some of the sea salt (SAVE SOME FOR GARNISH LATER!).
- NOW, fold in the chocolate chips/chunks BUT SET SOME ASIDE FOR GARNISH TOO!
- Lightly spray an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, baking dish, cake tin or loaf tin with coconut oil.
- NOW, pour the batter into the base & spread her out evenly using a silicone spatula!
- ONCE YOU ARE FREAKING THE F OUT & WANT TO DEVOUR HER AS IS (I mean… you obvs licked the mixing bowl, LET’S BE HONEST. SO DID I. NO SHAME!), place the last several pieces of chocolate chips/chunks over the top & sprinkle with the rest of the sea salt!
- THEN, BAKE THE BABE FOR 19 MINUTES ON THE CENTER RACK.
- Once that timer beeps & annoys the F out of you, turn the oven on BROIL & cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. BUT GUYS, I SAY THIS WITH UTMOST SERIOUSNESS, KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR BABE OF A COOKIE BECAUSE IT CAN BURN VERY, VERY, VERY QUICKLY!
- P.S. Rachael recommends that if you prefer more of a CRUNCHY COOKIE, you should add 1-3 extra minutes of baking time OR bake the baby in a larger skillet to thin out the batter so that it cooks faster & becomes crunchier!
- DEVOUR!!!! (& SERIOUSLY, I am not even going to tell you how to store this babe BECAUSE THERE SIMPLY IS NO STORING THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. There is no such thing as leftovers when it comes to her!!!! – TRUST ME!).
- But, in case you are the human being with the most self-control on planet earth, store this baby at room temperature for up to 2 days & if somehow, THERE ARE STILL LEFTOVERS (Legit, IMPOSSIBLE), store it in the fridge to keep it fresh AF!