Good morning & happy FriYAY!
You made it through YET ANOTHER GREY & CLOUDY WEEK in Montreal (#winning). HERE’S TO PRAYING FOR A BRIGHT & SUNNY WEEKEND (Let’s be honest, this prayer is useless. It isn’t going to happen, but hey, a girl can dream!).
ANYWHO, enough complaining about the weather. Get over it, Kel. Nothing you can do about it. Blame Mother Nature & BYE!
In better & yummier news, I’m here to rant & rave about the SITCH IN MAH KITCH the other night… not sure what night, but whatevz. Who cares, right?
I’M TALKING THE FLAKIEST WILD COD THAT YOU EVER DID SEE ON A BED OF PERFECTLY ROASTED ASPARAGUS…
Talk about a protein, nutrient & healthy-fat packed & eat yo’ greens DINNER SITCH!
P.S. Before we get into this recipe, can we just discuss my frustration with the dude at the fish market when I went to buy my fresh cod? K THANKS. I APPRECIATE YOU LETTING ME RANT.
Anywho, initially, I had gone to the market wanting to buy salmon. But, when I got there, I asked the guy if he had any wild salmon & he told me it was ALL FARMED. So, I said never mind & asked what he had that was wild… And then, we got into a little conversation about the difference between wild & farmed fish. AND BASICALLY, trying to convince me to get the salmon, he explained how there wasn’t really a difference between wild & farmed fish because all they do to the farmed ones is “force them to grow a little faster”.
YOU CAN IMAGINE THE FLAMES THAT IGNITED INSIDE OF ME AT THAT EXACT MOMENT. Please, enlighten me & explain to me how feeding fish growth hormones to force them to grow quicker is NOT SUCH A BAD THING & how us, human beings, consuming said fish that have been injected with disgusting chemicals, is acceptable. IT ISN’T. IT JUST ISN’T.
All this to say, I avoided an argument because I just did not have the patience to argue with someone who was clearly (slightly) uneducated in his field of work. SO, I BOUGHT MY WILD (Yes, I must mention it again) COD & left the supermarket without giving him my two cents. I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE THOUGH. This is a serious indication of how so many of us are misinformed about the food we are fuelling our bodies with simply because of perception created by people we are SUPPOSED to trust (I mean, if I didn’t know any better, I probably would’ve trusted this guy working behind the fish counter).
So please, my loves, do yourselves a favour & KEEP YOURSELVES INFORMED! Do not just trust everything you hear or read – DO YOUR RESEARCH & EDUCATE YOURSELVES!
As I’ve preached in the past, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY, it really is the only place you have to live in It’s your safe haven. It’s what allows you to function & ultimately, it’s what allows you to live every single second of every single day & you wouldn’t want to abuse, overdo, hurt or overwork the one thing keeping you alive, WOULD YOU?
OKAY, NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A RANT & A HALF. I’M DONE THOUGH. I’m sorry. I guess since I chose not to give the fish dude my two cents, I HAD TO SHARE IT WITH YOU MUNCHKINS. Hope you forgive me!
NOW, BACK TO THE RECIPE (FINALLY, right?)
OKAY, so, about that Cod… I KNOW, THIS RECIPE LOOKS LIKE NOTHING SPECIAL. BUT IT IS. IT IS. IT REALLY, REALLY IS! Don’t believe me? You’ll just have to try it out for yourselves. No, but seriously, I totally acknowledge the simplicity of this baby…
A WILD cod filet, some roasted asparagus, loads of fresh herbs, tons of spices, a marinade & BAM.
Yup, pretty simple.
BUT… Wait until you taste her. You will legit fool your own self into thinking you spent all day in the kitchen. BUT YOU DIDN’T.
Because guess what? She’s ready in like 25 minutes… NOT EVEN! Admit I just made all your Cod Dreams come true (Are “Cod Dreams” a thing?! Oh well. JUST MADE ‘EM ONE!).
ANYWHO, all this to say, JUST THINK OF…
the flakiness of the perfectly-baked cod…
combined with the crispy crunchiness of the just-the-right-amount of roasted asparagus…
the HERBY-NESS of the cilantro…
the citrusy-sweet & savouriness of the lemon honey Dijon & Harissa marinade…
OHMAHGOODNESS. I’m salivating. I can’t!!!
And get this? I am salivating & drooling & OHMAGOODNESS-ing & I’ve already had the privilege of tasting this recipe… YOU HAVEN’T… So I can only imagine how INSANE THIS IS DRIVING YOU RIGHT NOW.
& So, because I love you & I’m tots unselfish, I’M ABOUT TO GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY! Yes, you read right. IT’S THAT TIME. TIME FOR THE REVEAL OF THE BEAUTZ INGREDIENTS THAT GO INTO THIS GORG CONCOCTION!
Y’all ready for ‘dis? Here we go!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE COD MARINADE:
- 1 tbsp. of organic apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg’s);
- 1 tbsp. of organic maple syrup vinegar (I use the one by Suro & you can get it at Tau);
- 1 tbsp. of Harissa (I use the one by Stonewall Kitchen);
- 2 tsp. of organic honey Dijon mustard (I use the one by Miels d’Anicet);
- Juice of one lemon;
- ¼ tsp. of black pepper;
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder;
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika;
- ½ tsp. of cumin;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- Sprinkle of Himalayan pink sea salt;
- LOADS OF FRESH CILANTRO!
- OPTIONAL: Organic salsa, Sriracha, more Dijon mustard or BBQ sauce!
FOR THE ASPARAGUS:
- 120g of asparagus, ENDS CHOPPED;
- 2 tbsp. of organic balsamic vinegar (I use the one by Bioitalia);
- ¼ tsp. of black pepper;
- Sprinkle of Himalayan pink sea salt!
Now, for that HOW-TO?:
- Add all your marinade ingredients to a LARGE metal mixing bowl & STIR THE F OUT OF ‘EM TO COMBINE!
- Once the ingredients are combined, add your cod fillet to the bowl & toss to coat it in the marinade!
- Allow it to marinate for about 20 minutes!
- While the cod is marinating, preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- NOW, chop the ends off your asparagus & place them flat on the baking sheet. DRIZZLE THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM with the balsamic vinegar, black pepper & organic Himalayan pink sea salt!
- Once the cod is done marinating, place it on top of the asparagus & pour any of the leftover marinade to coat both the cod & asparagus! HOW GORGGGGGG IS THIS SIGHT THOUGH? Right?
- BAKE THIS ONE-PAN WONDER AT 350F FOR 15 MINUTES!
- Once baked, broil this beautifulness for 2-3 minutes to get the outer layer of the fish crisp & the asparagus CRUNCHY & ROASTED!
- NOW, PLATE THE BABE! Serve this gorgeousness with a fresh lemon & sprinkle her with some more freshly ground black pepper & dried parsley flakes! I also devoured her with some roasted garlic organic salsa! (I use the one by Bandito’s).
OH & FOOD PORN!!!
Enjoy mes amours!!!