Vegan & Gluten-Free Almond Pulp Herby-Garlicky-“Cheezy”-Crackers a.k.a. The-Most-Perfect-Crispy-Crunchy-Nutty-Way-To-Put-Leftovers-To-Good-Use!
I hope you’re all having a beautiful week!
GUESS WHAT? WE’RE OFFICIALLY HALFWAY THROUGH THE WEEK & that means we’re a step closer to the weekend! BUT, WE ARE NOT QUITE THERE! Sorry babies! Hope you accept my apology for that little tease & well, if you don’t… THESE CRACKERS ARE SURE TO MAKE YOU NOT ONLY FORGIVE ME, BUT ALSO FORGET!
So, what’s that you say? You’ve got some leftover almond pulp from that homemade almond milk you whipped up? NO PROBLEM!
Have you met me though? You do know you’re talking to A NO-WASTE-POLICY-ALWAYS-IN-EFFECT CHICK, RIGHT? Well if you didn’t know, NOW YOU DO. I absolutely HATE letting anything that can be used to whip up deliciousness go to waste! I mean… WHEN DELISH FOOD IS THE RESULT, please tell me what on earth would justify passing that up? (Except of course, LAZINESS! BUT LOSE IT! KAY?).
P.S. If you did not make homemade almond milk & do not have almond pulp, you can totally substitute it for almond flour or almond meal SO, DO NOT PANIC! & KEEP READING!
ANYWHO, when it comes to almond pulp, TBH, I know most people will dry it in an oven or dehydrator… BUT I WAS SIMPLY TOO EXCITED & IMPATIENT THIS MORNING. So… this babe of a recipe is as EASY as it can be…, which means… guess what? GIVEN MY EXITEMENT & IMPATIENCE, I whipped up this recipe in such a way that you don’t need to dry the pulp to make these… WAIT FOR IT…
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE ALMOND PULP HERBY-GARLICKY CRACKERS!
All you gotta do is throw the wet pulp in a large bowl with loads of other savoury yummy in your tummy ingredients & BAM!! (Well, I mean… you do have to bake them, BUT YOU CATCH MAH DRIFT!).
& BTW, if you’re not into the spices I used, you can totally adapt them to your liking! EITHER WAY, I know with utmost certainty that these babies will turn out crispy & delish EVERY SINGLE TIME!
NOW, just to give you munchkins a little tease as to what else I threw in there…
THE PULP (DUH!)
Unsweetened organic applesauce!
Himalayan pink sea salt!
& OF COURSE, nutritional yeast!
That’s it babies!
& Look at this perfection that MAGICALLY comes of the combination of all that beautiful stuff! INSANE, RIGHT? I know!
Ladies & gents, these are my Vegan & Gluten-Free Almond Pulp Herby-Garlicky-“Cheezy”-Crackers a.k.a. The-Most-Perfect-Crispy-Crunchy-Nutty-Way-To-Put-Leftovers-To-Good-Use!
Once I baked these babies, I realized that I should’ve thrown in a tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil, so that’s why I added it to the official recipe! Basically, I believe the oil will help add an EVEN BETTER fluffier texture, moisture & flavour to these babies & will also make it easier to (hopefully) be able to flip them halfway through the baking time, NOT TO MENTION PROVIDE YOU WITH HEALTHY GOOD-FOR-YOU FATS! (And SINCE I AIN’T SCARED OF THOSE ANYMORE… LET’S LOAD UP!).
NOW, MORE IMPORTANTLY, ONCE I TASTED THEM, I DIED & WENT STRAIGHT TO CRACKER HEAVEN. No joke. They are so freaking scrumptiously delicious… & I honestly find it so difficult to find a good quality gluten-free cracker that tastes THIS GOOD. I find there’s ALWAYS something MISSING, BUT THESE. THESE CHANGED MY PERCEPTION. HECK, THESE CHANGED MY LIFE!
No, but seriously guys, these are honestly FREAKING GREAT, so great that you can eat them AS IS, but even better if you dip them in ANY & ALL DIPS OR SPREADS (I’m talking hummus, tzatziki, baba ganoush, cheese, jam, peanut butter or any other nut butter, Nutella, MAN… THE POSSIBILITIES ARE BEYOND ENDLESS!).
NOW, BEFORE WE GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY, since this was my first experience with almond pulp (& may or may not be yours as well!), DO NOT PANIC IF THEY DON’T TURN OUT ABSOLUTELY-POSITIVELY-PERFECT the first time around! Whether they are as crisp or as moist as you would like them to be, DO NOT DESPAIR – ONE THING’S FOR SURE? THEY WILL DEFINITELY BE DELISH. I mean, look at that flavour combo, right?
ANYWHO, without further ado, LET’S GET TO THE RECIPE!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Approximately 1 cup of wet almond pulp (The amount leftover from making a fresh batch of homemade almond milk – THAT NO WASTE POLICY FTW!) – I used 1 cup of almonds to make my homemade milk & ended up with ALMOST one cup of almond pulp!
- 3 tbsp. of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1 tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil (I didn’t use it the first time I made the recipe, BUT I find that this is exactly what it was missing!);
- 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed (or chia seeds, if you prefer!);
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1 tsp. of oregano;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1 tsp. of thyme;
- 1 tsp. of dried parsley flakes;
- 1 tsp. of dried basil;
- ¼ tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- Water, if needed!
- The thing about almond pulp is that every batch of it will differ in moisture. The amount of moisture left in the pulp depends on how much you are able to squeeze the milk from the nut bag. This is why you MAY need to adjust the recipe by adding water! If your pulp is really dry feeling, you might simply need to add more moisture, a.k.a. WATER!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- Preheat the oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- In a LARGE MIXING BOWL, combine all your ingredients & STIR THE EFF OUT OF ‘EM to combine!
- Once combined, if the dough looks dry, add water, one tablespoon at a time, just until it can easily be pressed together between your fingers!
- NOW, transfer the mixture to your lined baking sheet & using your fingers, flatten it until it is about 1/8-inch thick or as thin as you’d like your babies, OOOOOPS I MEAN, CRACKERS, to be. The thinner they are, the crispier they will be, so KEEP THAT IN MIND, MY LOVES!.
- Once your dough is flattened to your liking, use a large knife to cut the rolled dough into squares, making about 20 crackers (or more or less depending on how big you want ‘em!). Poke the center of each cracker with a fork to help the babies dry & bake evenly!
- BAKE THESE MUNCHKINS AT 350F FOR 20 MINUTES! Then, check on ‘em & if possible, flip each one & bake again until they are CRISP & GOLDEN BROWN, about 15 minutes more! (The reason I say, “if possible” is because it will all depend on how moist your almond pulp was to begin with & how much water you added etc., so my recommendation is to check on them at the 20 minute-mark & ATTEMPT at flipping them. If it works, GOOD ON YOU! IF NOT, DO NOT DESPAIR – They will still bake wonderfully without being flipped!).
- IF YOU HAVE THE LEAST BIT OF RESISTANCE TO DELICIOUS PERFECTION, COOL THE BABIES COMPLETELY EFORE SERVING! (But if not, DON’T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF – HAVE A CRACKER, OR TWO, OR THREE… I mean, who can resist a warm, moist & crispy & crunchy beautifully-smelling cracker?! LET’S BE HONEST HERE!).
- P.S. IF THERE ARE ANY LEFTOVERS… & I highly doubt there will be, BTW… these babes should keep well at room temperature for a few days BUT, LIKE WITH ALL THINGS MADE WITH SUCH ORGANIC, NATURAL & RAW INGREDIENTS, they will last EVEN LONGER in a sealed container or Ziploc bag in the fridge!