Kelly’s Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies a.k.a. Crispy, Chewy, Almond-y, Nutty, Chocolate-y, Sweet & Ridiculously Delicious NOM NOM NOMS!
Hi my loves!
Good morning & Happy Tuesday!
I hope you’re all having a good week so far! Unfortunately, we’re nowhere near the weekend yet, SORRY LOVIES!
But, I do have something to make you munchkins happy until then (That is, if they last more than a day!)
AND SO, after a long day of cooking, baking, ranting, grocery shopping (ALWAYS!), SPINNING MY HEART OUT & blogging away (a.k.a. typing away frantically) to get these cookies to you munchkins, I’M PROUD TO SAY THEY ARE FINALLY HERE!!! So, without further ago, here goes my rant about the SITCH IN MAH KITCH this morning!
YES, VEGAN ALMOND FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP RAISIN COOKIES!
Before we begin, let me tell you a little something about ALMOND FLOUR. YOU WANT A CRISPY, BUTTERY-ISH COOKIE SIMILAR TO SHORTBREAD WITH A SOFT & TENDER INSIDE?!
ALMOND FLOUR IS YOUR ANSWER! (You just have to listen to me when I tell you how long to bake these babies for, BUT WE’LL GET TO THAT ON A LITTLE LATER!).
NOW, what’s so good about these cookies? They’re just chocolate chip raisin cookies after all, right?!
NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.
These babies are:
Egg-free (& do not even contain an EGG REPLACER!)
Naturally-sweetened with pure organic maple syrup!
HIGH IN PROTEIN & HEALTHY FATS (In fact, each cookie will ring you in a 4 whole grams of protein! & let’s be honest… are you really going to resist & have just one? NAH!)
THEY ARE VEGAN!
Basically, these babies are WOW in every which way possible.
AND THEY’RE SO YUMMMMY IN YOUR (& MY) TUMMY.
I totally recommend doubling your batch, especially if you’ve got a significant other &/or some cute little kiddies who will LEGIT all die at the smell in your kitch when these babes are fresh out ‘da oven, not to mention, FALL IN LOVE AT FIRST BITE.
Ladies & gents, I present you with Kelly’s Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies a.k.a. Crispy, Chewy, Almond-y, Nutty, Chocolate-y, Sweet & Ridiculously Delicious NOM NOM NOMS!
SERIOUSLY, WANNA TURN YOUR HOUSE INTO A BAKERY?
Once again, THESE BABES ARE YOUR ANSWER!
Anywho lovies, I seriously couldn’t wait to share these munchkins with you!! Now, it’s up to you to bake ‘em! Get ready for some crispy, chewy, almond-y, nutty, chocolate-y, sweet & delicious NOM NOM NOMS! (COOKIE MONSTER REFERENCE, for those of you who didn’t catch mah drift).
OKAY BUT WAIT, I feel like there’s a bit of a controversy surrounding raisins that we need to address. So I just want to discuss them for like a minute or two or three. We’ll see how long it takes.
Did you guys know that when grapes are dehydrated to produce raisins, the nutrients become MORE CONCENTRATED? If eaten in moderation (because yes, they pack a lot of sugar, even though it’s natural), raisins are an amazing source of:
Iron (Hello immune system support, amino-acid production & metabolism boost!)
Potassium (Vital for heart health as it helps to regulate heartbeat & lower blood pressure by limiting the effect of sodium).
OH & they’re also a great source of carbs for energy!! You know what that means? YOU CAN DEVOUR ONE OF THESE BABIES BEFORE YOUR WORKOUT!!!
All this to say, I think the controversy mainly exists because they are so high in sugar, so people tend to try to stay away from them (KEYWORD: TRY!), but, LIKE ALL HEALTHY FOODS, if eaten in moderation & with balance, raisins can provide MANY essential health benefits, NOT TO MENTION, LET’S BE HONEST, THEY ARE DELISH!
ANYWHO, don’t skimp on the raisins, okay?! You need ‘em! They add that perfect little extra touch of sweetness, OH & DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ABOUT THE CHEWINESS. OHMAGOODNESS! Does anyone else melt (LITERALLY) at the sight (or should I say BITE) of baked, warm, chewy, scrumptious, delicious raisins? I DO, I DO! (WANT TO MARRY YOU, MR. RAISIN!).
OKAY, ENOUGH ABOUT RAISINS.
Let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups of blanched almond flour or almond meal;
- ¼ cup of organic virgin coconut oil, MELTED (P.S. IF YOU DON’T NEED THIS RECIPE TO BE DAIRY-FREE, you can totally use real butter!).
- ¼ cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- ¼ tsp. of sea salt;
- ½ tsp. of baking soda;
- 2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar;
- ½ cup of chocolate chips;
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened dried raisins!
NOW, FOR THAT HOW-TO?
- PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 250F (YES, MY LOVES, you read right. It’s not a typo. THIS TIME, we are baking at 250F, not 350F!).
- Line a large baking sheet (or two medium ones) with parchment paper & set aside!
- In a LARGE MIXING BOWL, combine all the ingredients, LIKE LEGIT JUST THROW THEM ALL IN THERE! HOORAY FOR ONE-BOWL RECIPES, RIGHT? MIX the F out of ‘em until you obtain a uniform, sticky dough!
- Using an ice cream scooper (my trick!) or a 1 tbsp. or 1/8 cup measuring cup (based on the size you prefer for your babies, OOOOPS I MEAN YOUR COOKIES!), DROP THE DOUGH ONTO THE BAKING SHEET, then use your hands to gently flatten & shape ‘em! (They will not spread a lot during baking, so the size you see before you bake is most probably about the size you will get post-bake fresh out ’da oven! YOU MUNCHKINS HAVE BEEN WARNED!).
- P.S. If you find your fingers are sticking to the dough too much, wet them in between every few cookies!
- BAKE UNTIL THE BABIES ARE FIRM TO THE TOUCH AROUND THE EDGES. For me, this took 30 minutes at 250F (P.S. If you’re in a rush, because Lord knows sometimes we just need COOKIES STAT, EITHER BECAUSE A CRAVING HIT OR BECAUSE YOU HAVE GUESTS COMING OVER IN LIKE 20, you can increase your oven temperature to 350F & bake the babies for 12 minutes!).
- P.S.S. If you want a CRISPY-CRUNCHIER COOKIE, bake them for up to 45 minutes at 250F.
- BTW babies, because of the low oven temperature, the babes will not turn golden brown around the edges, so DON’T PANIC WHEN YOU SEE THAT THEY ARE PALE – That’s what they should look like!! (Yes, they also need a tan, JUST LIKE ALL US MONTREALERS!).
- When your timer beeps & begins to annoy the EFF OUT OF YOU (the same way it does to me every single freaking morning!), remove the babies from the oven & let ‘em cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove ‘em! (LAWLZ, I’m dying… Who are we kidding here? Seriously, when your kitch turns into a freaking bakery, how on earth are you supposed to resist? YOU AREN’T! YOU SIMPLY SHOULD NOT & WILL NOT & CANNOT RESIST!).
- P.S. IF YOU DO SOMEHOW FIND THE RESISTANCE WITHIN YOU TO LET THEM COOL, they will obvs firm up more! (But either way, they will eventually firm up once stored, THAT’S IF YOU EVEN HAVE LEFTOVERS, but that’s a whole other ball game, my loves!).
- SERVEEEEE WARM & DEVOUR!
- Oh & speaking of leftovers, if you do have any, they can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days, BUT, if you ask me, the texture is BEST preserved if they are stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer! I always find that when I try storing my cookies in a container but leave them at room temperature, they get too soft. This is why I recommend storing them in the fridge or freezer! The texture will be super crunchy when served directly out of the freezer so if that’s what you babies are looking for, FREEZER IT IS! OTHERWISE, refrigerate the babes & warm them right before DEVOURING LIKE ‘DA COOKIE MONSTAAAAA!
OH & FOOD PORN!!
Enjoy my loves!!! <3 <3 <3 xoxo!